“Food below standard, some of it unacceptable. The lamb was so fatty it was inedible.”
Review of Sevruga Restaurant

Sevruga Restaurant
Ranked #79 of 1,185 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Sevruga is a culmination of a lifetime of work, and our complete dedication to perfection. Although perfection is almost always a step away, we always endeavour to exceed your wildest expectations, offerings lush interiors, exquisite dining and an intimate atmosphere seating up to 350. From the New York style entrance, polished marble and solid wooden floors, to the fabulous American walnut bar counter and designer chairs with opulent, imported fabric, it is clear that no expense has been spared. Our philosophy when creating Sevruga was the same as when we create our signature dishes. We use the best possible raw ingredients, combined with professional and creative suppliers and craftsmen to create a truly amazing experience. An elaborate menu offering a vast array of wines and meals ranging from humble dishes to taste sensations, with more complex tastes and flavours. The service is relaxed yet professional, while the view from both inside the restaurant and out on the terrace, will take your breath away! As part of giving Sevruga customers an all-round experience, a Functions Manager for tour and incentive groups is always on hand and, from the entrance to the kitchen, Sevruga has steadfast principles in place to guarantee an over-all experience of grandeur. With especially designed set menus, we can cater for any function. It's no wonder that every now and then we are delighted to have famous faces, both local and international, grace our establishment. A-list Hollywood stars such as Harrison Ford, Calista Flockhart and Tom Hardy, have been spotted dining at Sevruga, as well as our beautiful Benoni Blom Charlize Theron. You never know you might just bump into Brangalina! "The only reason to visit the V&A Waterfront". - The New York Times.
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Nice view but we sent back some of our food. Bad quality - cheap tasting ice cream and cheap tasting fondant, most from freezer to microwave to our plate.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Went to Sevruga for the 1st time for a friend's birthday. Our waiter was friendly and knew the menu. My starter of calamari and main of Kinglip was amazing and well cooked. Sadly, I didn't get to finish it as my fiance was not impressed with his sushi at all, so he polished off my plate. I assumed it was beancurd they used instead of nori to wrap the sushi but this was not stated on the menu and the sushi lovers at the table were not impressed. They also did not like the tuna being cooked in the tuna rolls. We at this time also noticed a dead mouse in the wine cabinets next to us. It had obviously been there for a while as it was almost a skeleton. We notified management who waved it off with a blase apology. After a while, as an apology for the rodent, we were brought a tray of shooters... I guess they didn't notice that 80% of the table did not drink... Looking forward to dessert (I had ordered the Creme Brulee when my starter and main was ordered), I was told that they had run out of creme brulee. Could that not have been relayed to the waitrons to avoid dissapointment in the first place??? I think Sevruga has the potential to be much better.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were expecting a really stylish place with food to match, unfortunately we were disappointed. We should have realised from the website which has more emphasis on pictures of models than anythings else and it did seem the management had spent all their attention on the young ladies who welcome you at the reception.

The menus felt cheap and touristy. There was lots of choice, but the food itself was a let down. The Prawn Thai soup was not at all spicy, not that tasty and only luke warm. The tuna sushi rolls were cooked in batter, which ruined the flavour, closely followed by the tuna not being raw.

The mains were disappointing too. Chicken Malay curry was bland, with a thick creamy sauce. The kingklip on potato, equally bland.

Dessert was a honeycomb icecream, ice cream quite nice, but the honeycomb was extremely crunchy and tasteless.

The blood orange martini cocktail was however very tasty.

Service was provided by someone totally uninterested in us or our dining experience.

And the interior was not that special either.

There was a smart looking young gent who kept asking us if we were enjoying the meal, but it was done so quickly and in a manner of not being interested that we felt compelled to just smile and nod!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I went to Sevruga today with the goal of having outstanding sushi and sashimi but unfortunately I was disappointed. the Sashi was average and the sushi platter that I got was not good. the tuna roll was overcooked and there was simply too much rice. The white wine that the waiter recommended for me was great though.

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Great location and atmosphere. Where the well heeled of Cape Town eat out. Service was good but my girlfriend is a vegetarian, who will eat prawns. Ordered the prawn Wan Ton and was given chicken. Spitting out food, waiter apologised and another plate of Wan Ton was brought out. This too was chicken. The duty manager apologised, admitted it wasn't the first time and gave us prawn in tempura. The food is made off-site and shipped in, heated/cooked on the premises. Waiter was very good, shame the kitchen staff let the place down.