“In search of an "Icon"”

VIP Living Luxury Hotel Apartments
Ranked #145 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
UK
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We arrived at the tiny reception to be told like other reviewers that they didn't have a room for us despite our fully prepaid booking, and they'd have to transfer us elsewhere. They put us in a taxi, but the other hotel said the Icon had not made any arrangements with them and demanded 150 pounds per night from us. We had to pay for another taxi back to the Icon and wait there nearly six hours until luckily for us someone else checked out of a room (still not the end of our problems, as this was only free for one night and so we had to move again the day after). Someone has obviously spent a lot of money on these apartments, but they are badly let down as it is run by complete amateurs with no concept of customer care. A real shame.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I agree with you Oubaai about the service. I looked forward top staying in a city apartment which reminded me of my single days living in a cosmopolitan flatland in Jhb (way back when). I was left to find my own parking bay (I was not advised that parking would be an extra charge) and to make my own way to the apartment. I was not told that through this or that door I would find superb coffee shops and a deli. It would have been nice to have a discount leaflet from the hairdresser/beauty salon, or some leafets about breakfast, which might have given me a clue that these services were in the building. There were two tea bags, two coffee sticks and a couple of sugar sticks - not no milk or creamer in the apartment. That was it and being there for just one night on business, I didn't want to go out to stock the place up. I had no clue how the phone worked to reach reception - no instructions to be found anywhere. Then I found out that the rates had been cut but I was not credited the difference. The reception looked like a post office and although the housekeeper was very sweet the next morning, the lack of a warm and informative welcome made the service levels of Icon very poor. Was there a pool? Was there a gym? Not that I knew about!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I am staying at the Icon for an extended business trip. The hotel location is excellent. However, the this is a crap place for a business trip - no phones, no ironing boards are available and the wireless Internet charges are insane (150 Rand for 24 hours). The bedroom has no air conditioning. The TV in my room does not work.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We drove to the hotel from the airport after a 14 hour flight at night and the hotel was hard to find on Street level as there is no signage as such. Once checked in we were settled. The apartment had everything we wanted and was an easy walk to the V and A waterfront. The Jazz festival was on and at the end of the street so there were a few people around on the first few nights. On the weekend the streets around the hotel were empty and it was a little scary heading out. Great Pizza place "Col'Cacchio" just around the corner best food we had on the trip great pizza and fresh salads. Overall the apartment was roomy and suited our family of four, next time I will have to specify 2 twin beds in the 2nd room, as the kids had to sleep together. The gym had no equipment in it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Lara C
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I stayed at the icon for two nights. You get an apartment bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and sitting area, beautifully designed. Lots of space.
The only hassle is that the airconditioning in the sitting area, getting the bedroom warm is hard.

• Liked — the spacious apartment and the interior design
  • Disliked — the placement of the airconditioning unit
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank thabomo