“OUR LONG AWAITED HOLIDAY TO CAPE TOWN AND THE CAPE ROYALE”

Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed October 9, 2012

As Jhb dwewllers, we long awaited this family holiday,which was booked by SFR TRAVEL AND TOURS, BY SAMEERA,who highly recommended the CAPE ROYALE. Onarrival, we were most welcomed by the Gong which immmediately made us feel at home. The warmth of the lobby and the smiles of each person made a wonderful impression. .I must admit that looking at the hotel i was a bit afraid, that my girls may feel a bit out of place, but the moment they recieved their crowns ,a sense of relaxation engulfed me,a child friendly place,any parents dream..... A SPECIAL THANK YO U TO MR SADIK, who
assited us each and everyday,and introduced us to our room and gave us a brilliant layout as well.Easy to follow directions to all destinationes we needed to visit. The booking of all tickets online was a great idea and time saving as well, especially when going to Table Mountain! The most accomdoating shuttle service and the kind genlteman who took us
to and from Waterfront and all places within a 5km radiace was a
brilliant idea....we loved it and this gave my hubby a chance
to relax a bit too!no driving all the time!Thank you to the restaurant for all the friendly service and accomodating my little princesses. The best tomato soup i've ever tastedwill live in my memory forever! The food was brilliant and always served with a smile!!! We loved the warm and comfy gowns and sexy slippers and the kids loved the chocies they found on their beds everyday....so, mom, why don't you put chocies on our beds like this everyday?SO, CAPE ROYALE, YOU'VE SET THE STANDARD, NOW I'VE GOT TO KEEP UP WITH IT! Once again, thank you for an unforgettable holiday and stay, yes, we would love to see you all again on our next trip to Cape Town, at the Cape Royale.May each of your souls be blessed for the wonderful work that you do. Mrs Otham and family, Johannesburg.

Room Tip: all rooms are good, corner ones are better if you have kids.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
TerriJabaar, Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Lady Otham & family...& the pretty princesses :-)

Thank you so very much for your feedback and all your positve comments. We cannot wait to welcome you all back. It is an absolute pleasure to look after you all and ensure you have the holiday of a lifetime.

Thanks again, from Sedick.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We're still travelling around South Africa but didn't want to delay this review. We spent 3 nights in a 2 bedroom front facing suite which included high tech equipped kitchen and large dining area. Just incredibly beautiful and special room which we'll never forget. Our stay will be also unforgettable for a very sad reason too - our friends who we were travelling with heard the very sad news on the first night at the Cape that their mum/nan had passed away back in the UK. The handling of this situation by all of the people we touched at the Cape was so sensitive, helpful and respectful and the whole team went a million extra miles. Sadeek, the Concierge was an amazing host, was so very proud of the Cape Royale, it's rooms and achievements, incredibly helpful, utterly professional and knew his business inside out. The manager ( so sorry didn't write your name down) was visible lots, clearly cared and motivated his people. From Blessings announcing our names ( so special) through to our check in, bell boys, room & bar services through to us checking out, everyone was amazing. Thanks really so very much for making what was such a traumatic for our party better than we could have ever hoped for. Your hotel decor, ambiance, personal touch, insight and knowledge means we'll never forget our time with you. Great position and free of charge shuttle to V&A Waterfront just added even more to an experience we'll never forget. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts.

Room Tip: We had front facing room with a double balcony - just gorgeous!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
TerriJabaar, Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for this. Thank you for taking the time out of your travels to post this review. I am very pleased to learn that you had such a good stay with us. We are very proud of our MD Johann Du Plessis who spends his days running around motivating people. He is a genius at what he does! Also Sedick who is a true gentleman and exceptional ambassador for Cape Royale.

Once again our sincere condolences to your friends who lost their mum/nan recently.

I trust the remainder of your time in South Africa will be fabulous.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Having arrived by car, our first impression was positive when we were given access to the parking under the hotel without any fuss before having checked in. The welcome was warm and our suite was clean, modern and well fitted out (with a bathroom that was larger than many London flats I've seen).

The hotel is, theoretically, within walking distance of both the Waterfront and central Cape Town, but we tended to use the free shuttle, which ran from the hotel every half-hour and which would collect us at any time when we rang the front desk.

We would certainly go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for the positive review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back - hopefully in the not too distant future :-)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

A 5 star hotel, that treats you like a Lord in more ways than one (I will not spoil the surprise if you have not been there). The staff are warm and friendly and constantly want to do everything for you. My only regret is we did not have dinner in the restaurant until the last night as it is amazing. I try to avoid hotel dinners in the UK as they are usually over-priced and in 5 star can be a bit snooty. Not a bit of it here - you were made to feel like a VIP but in the friendliest manner with superb food and wine that was fantastic value for money.

One critiscism is on their web page, they claim for the De Luxe 'generously sized balconies overlooking Signal Hill and Table Mountain, the perfect setting for a private dining experience. 'The balcony was less than a foot wide and only overlooked Signal Hill with a stretch. The room only had a shower and not the deep bath mentioned on the web site. Not a problem for us, but double check if these are important to you

Room Tip: If you order a de Luxe and want a bath as well as a shower make sure you request it
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

A right royale Review :-)!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about us here on Trip Advisor. It is so good to read your positive comments.

Thank you also for the feedback regarding descriptions on the website. Please be advised that we have different layouts and views for all our suites, not every suite is the same. Should a bath be requested we will most definately accommodate.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Royals Regards

Reviewed October 4, 2012

After spending some 12 days on Safari in the Bush of Botswana, we were excited about our visit to Cape Town, South Africa and especially a relaxing stay at the Cape Royal Luxury Hotel.
In short, we were not disappointed!!
On arrival, we entered the beautiful lobby and were surprised when we heard the strike of a gong and the announcement of our arrival at the marvelous hotel which was met with applause and big wide smiles from the whole staff approaching us from all areas of the hotel. Then to our amazement, we were introduced to all as Lord & Lady by the doormen in a tall black top hat.......unbelievable!!"
Just a brief example of one the unigueness of one of the absolute best hotels we have ever experienced....perhaps the best!
We also remember some great staff members including Sedick Achmat who was fantastic handling any questions or travel challenges, Clement, Eddie, Chef Johnathan, etc. All happy and enjoying there profession.
For a true luxury African hotel, The Cape Royale cannot be beat!
Ralph W. McCracken in Nashville, Tennessee USA

Room Tip: All rooms are suites, so u cannot go wrong!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ralph M

Dear Ralph,

Thank you so much for this lovely review. I am so glad your time with us was so special and you leave with happy memories of Cape Royale and in fact Cape Town.
We at Cape Royale love what we do...love interacting with our guests and learning about cultures from all walks of life and what makes people happy.
Please be assured that the staff have warmly receIved your comments and say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

While the gong announced introduction and courteous staff create a wonderful first impression, ongoing daily renovations made an otherwise enjoyable stay very unpleasant. When we complained about the 6 am start of the building noise we received little more than lip service. The hotel did not mention the renovations when we booked and, even allowing for the necessary upgrades, there appears to be no reason for a five star hotel to ever disregard their guests with such an early start. Also our bed was two singles pushed together, which was uncomfortable and separated in the night. One other thing, the nature of the central void and hard floors created a very noisy environment day and night, we could hear voices, doors closing and footsteps at all hours.

The restaurant was excellent and cannot be faulted, from the wonderful service to the exquisite food.

The renovations will eventually be completed, but we would still be reluctant to return because of the lack of consideration given to us.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Elsa C

Dear Elsa and Shane,

Thank you for the positive comments.
But, I am so disappointed to read your comments about the lack of consideration given to you when you complained during your stay about the noise from the renovations. This is certainly not the standard we aim to achieve. Yes the work needed to be carried out but at the same time our priority should have been to ensure satisfaction for our guests inhouse.

Please contact me directly to discuss your complaint in full. My email address if terri.jabaar@caperoyale.co.za

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My relationship with this gorgeous property started off on rocky terms. Upon arrival for our 5 night stay, my party of three couples were informed by the manager on duty, Mr. Coetsee, that we would have to be relocated to the Cullinan Sun due to overbooking issues. He was polite and apologetic and promised to remedy the situation as soon as possible. I was somewhat skeptical and definitely disappointed with the Cape Royale for, in my opinion, ruining my perfectly planned dream vacation.

The very next day, Ms. Jabaar, the Resident Manager of the hotel came to meet me at the Cullinan to apologize for the events of the night before and invite my party back to the Cape Royale. I have had the priviledge of staying at some of the finest hotels across the world and have unfortunately been disappointed by a handful. Never in my travels have I come across a hotel manager that has come to meet me, OFF SITE, to apologize. Ms. Jabaar personally took my group's luggage back to the Cape Royale so we would not waste our precious vacation time schlepping our bags between hotels.

Upon arriving at the Cape Royale, we were greeted by the Managing Director, Mr. Johann Du Pliessis. Johan took responsibility for the error made on the first night and treated us to dinner. His gesture along with Ms. Jabaar's makes is obvious that customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to this hotel and it's staff.

On to the specifics of the hotel:

ROOMS: Spectacular. They were spacious, meticulously cleaned, well appointed. Truly an oasis to call home after thrashing around the busy city of Cape Town.

EQUINOX SPA: Very small but excellent staff and treatment rooms. Not a spa you could spend hours before and after your treatment relaxing in but so worth the visit. Ms. Jabaar treated us to a massage at the spa and it was so amazing that I promptly scheduled another and a facial for the next day. My therapist, Maxine, was very knowledgeable and had magical hands to boot.

RESTAURANT 1800 Degrees: Fantastic high end cuisine coupled with great service. Karyn who I believe was the Sommelier picked some fantastic wines for us and has started a new love of Pinotage and Malbecs.

FRONT DESK / CONCIERGE / CAR SERVICE: All very responsive and eager to help. Lisete was able to secure us last minute reservations at a couple of amazing restaurants. She helped change spa appointments and left us messages to keep us abreast of anything that was going on. The hotel had amazing car service much like the St. Regis resorts that drove us around and would pick us up promptly when we called. A great convenience when you are in a new city.

VIP TOURS: Great service. We had the pleasure of having Michael drive us to Cape Point, Simon's Town, Boulder's Beach, etc. He was courteous and regaled us with all sorts of facts about South Africa.

This hotel was a great value for an extremely high end property. My standards for 5 star are very high...5 stars means perfect. I would have to say that this property is definitely a strong 4.5.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NeetiD

Dear Valued Guest,

What a fantastic review, thank you so much. I remember well how our relationship started off on rocky ground but I am so pleased we managed to turn this around and you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We really do pride ourselves in providing exceptionally high levels of guest service.

I hope the remainder of your vacation was as good as your time at Cape Royale and you had a safe and pleasant journey back home.

Please pass on my regards to the rest of your party.