“A cut above the rest”

Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
Ranked #52 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Just returned from a three night stay at this wonderful hotel. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the service we received was first class all the way.

The rooms are in fact two bedroomed apartments complete with fully equipped kitchen. The bathrooms were beautiful and the towels were soft and fluffy, my sign of a good hotel!

We ate in the restaurant twice and the service and quality of food was superb. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and the wines served. You may think this is what you would expect from a five star hotel but Cape Royale just went that extra mile.

The concierge was very helpful and the guest relations manager, Thomas was a true star and an assets to this establishment.
Only hopes get another chance to visit Cape Town and stay here gain,

Thanks to all at the hotel or a wonderful stay

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bearchell
Write a ReviewReviews (1,572)

Reviewed January 17, 2012

It's a really good hotel with a nice swimming pool and big rooms... But be aware! Put all your valuable stuff at the locker!!!
I stayed for 4 nights (dec 26th to dec 30th). On my first day I checked-in, let all my luggage in the room, asked for some towels and ashtray, wore my bikini and went to the swimming pool. After 1 hour I came back to my room and when I decided to put my wallet in the locker I realized that it was missing USD 200 and ZAR 1000. I called to the manager security who interviewed me and told me that as far as I knew the exactly period of time that I was robbed it would be easier to investigate the case. I asked him if it was an usual occurrence and he answered that unfortunately it sometimes happened.
He told me that the normal procedure is to review the cameras outside the room, interview the people who went to the room and than make them pass by a lie detector.
I asked him to contact me as soon as he had a conclusion (whether good or bad news) but I never had a contact.
I called them 3 times but the manager security didn't answer and the person who did, told me that he would call me on the next day, which never happened. I sent 2 mails but I never had a contact.
It's a shame that such a great hotel is not able to respect their guests... Not even a contact... I didn't ask them to refund me, I just wanted an update...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Ivy S
Reviewed January 14, 2012

First stay for us ( family 4) in Cape Town and I really feel we chose the right accomodation!! Central, personal, spacious apartments, VERY good service. Complementary shuttle service! If we come back I would definately choos this place again.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Absolutely awsome experience. We decided to be tourists in our own city so booked in for the weekend. Enter the foyer and immediately you are made to feel welcome. The ellegance and splendour of this hotel will immediately put a smile on your face. The family room we had provided ample space and had all the modern conveniences you would expect. The staff are the real stars. Doesn't matter how brilliant the hotel may look but without staff who goes the extra mile it wouldn't be anything special. Here i would like to single out the following people, Thomas(brilliant concierge), Gershon (travel concierge) and last but not least, Faith and Alex, the best waiters that I have ever come across. Their service is so good that it prompted my daughter to say that " these people are freakishly good".When you book in at this hotel, you can be assured that your stay will be fantastic with them watching over you. The sky bar is a brilliant set-up and the only drawback here is that it can get very busy and crammped as the space is limited, but it's a spectacular location for sundowners. There is no wait here however as drinks are served promptly. Only negative comment I can make about the whole experince, is that the sky bar personel is a let down when you measure them up against the staff I have mentioned before. Overall, we had a brilliant experience and it will be a destination we will visit again as we are seriously considering having my daughters birthday party there.

1  Thank mark p
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Our first trip to S Africa and all four of us loved it,We did all the usual sights but our new year celebrations at the Hotel were fabulous with great food and all the staff were great. Only one little gripe was that the Hotel pool with a bar area was far too small for the Hotel.The rooms are lovely and spotless and the staff were so helpful and smiley at all times. We would certainly
go and stay at the Cape Royale again which is in a perfect location of the waterfront.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank winnie t
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Our first time to travel to South Africa, and also our first time to stay in a 5* hotel. Booked for for 5 nights, 2 adults and two teenagers. Family suite was big, spacious and well equipped. Staff were very friendly and helpful, Spa voucher was a lovely treat. Excellent food, wine and cocktails! Hotel is in a great location for sight seeing and offers a free courtesy bus to the Waterfront. Would definitely stay here again if we returned to Cape Town, the standard and service provided was first class

2  Thank david1303_12
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We travelled as a family, 2 adults and 4 older teenage children and this was our first visit to Cape Town and one we had been looking forward to with great expectation. We had spent the first week in Kruger park and then flown down to Cape Town for 8 nights from Christmas eve through to New Years day staying in a very comfortable 3 bed apartment on floor 7 of the hotel. The hotel is very refined, even chic and I'd like to think that at any other time of the year may well operate to a standard expected of a 5 star deluxe property however for us the hotel fell short of what I have come to expect from a deluxe hotel.
The room advertised a "butler" service however having been introduced to our butler upon arrival and been shown to our room we neither saw nor heard from him again the whole week. With hindsight this was part of our ongoing problems, no one co-ordinating our concerns as they developed and helping resolve them or preventing them in the first place. The 3 bedroom all with ensuites and a full kitchen, lounge and dining area was large and as advertised, however the telephone system had been replaced that week and the instructions on its use bore no correlation to the new hand sets which meant we had no communication with reception or the Butler which was supposed to be pre-programmed. This required us to descend the 7 floors to reception on a number of occassions before a technication arrived (Christmas Day) to reprogramme the defective phone after which we then had a single facilty for calling reception for all our needs that week. This did work, however was quite different to the Butler concept which we should have experienced and I assume other guests actually received.
The shower door broke the first time we used it and the kettle didn't work and was replaced. There was no washing powder for either the washing machine or dishwasher or kitchen towels all of which must be requested. The main problem for us however from the very start was the firmness of the master bedroom mattress. After the first night I made the reception aware of this discomfort and the very poor sleep we had had and they arrived with a cover. That didn't work, so the following day I reported the matter again. New thicker covers arrived, which whilst better for me were not great and my wife who borrowed variuous pillows from other rooms upon which she slept for the rest of our stay. The hotel offered to change the mattress which I accepted but that did not happen. Rooms to the front of the hotel, such as ours, suffer from the busy traffic and road noise at night. Cars appeared to us the dual carriageway as a race track at times! Even though we had large balcony window doors these could not be left open at night due to the noise.
It is only fair to confirm the hotel staff are all very nice and do respond and do try to help and that perhaps some of the problems we experienced were due to the fact the hotel was almost full, very busy and it was a Public Holiday in Cape Town, as elsewhere. However, after finding no toilet paper in our bathroom or any bathroom towels left in the master bathroom I had had enough and no choice but to complain forcefully that this was just not acceptable. A duty manager promptly attended and I noted the cleaning staff changed afterwards as a result following which we had no further similar problems. Something which did become very tiresome was the constant intrusion and the coming and going of various staff carrying out the daily tasks of cleaning and making beds and attending to the kitchen, all of which which could easily span an hour or so. I know this has to be done but it occured frequently whilst we were in the room and was not at any specific time of the day it seemed. Why could this not be done when we were out and about and why was it not better organised? I can only put this down to the fact the hotel was full and the usual effeciency was therefore not possible. Don't get excited by the roof top pool either, it is very small, more of a plunge pool and with very limited space for loungers. Again staff do try and assist when you attend the pool, offering mattresses on the floor but its not quite what you'd expect.
Our stay was not all problematic, we had several excellent meals in 1800 the inhouse small but comfortable restaurant including Christmas day itself (thanks Grace) when the buffet excelled and included oysters, wonderful salmon as well as all the traditional trimmings and a chocolate fountain much to my daughter's delight! Also high praise must go to the Hotel Conciege (thanks Guershen) without whom our stay could have turned into a total disaster. They arranged our tickets to access to some of the most popular (Robben Island and Table Mountain) and all fully booked attractions, then transported us all in comfort, always on time and with the utmost courtesy.
In conclusion, we liked Cape Town, the V&A watefront and its surrounds however we will never return to Cape Town over this very busy festive period as it affects everything you would wish to do and enjoy as part of a normal tourist visit and that includes the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front suffer from the busy traffic and road noise at night. Rooms on upper floors may a...