“A wonderful hotel in a beautiful city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cape Royale Luxury Hotel

Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
Ranked #31 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Los Angeles
“A wonderful hotel in a beautiful city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Great location close to the waterfront. Views of the soccer stadium & Table Mountain. Modern spacious comfortable suite. Hotel restaurant and room service were excellent. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TerriMallett, Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this lovely review. It is very warmly received and will be commuicated to all of our team here at Cape Royale who assist in our guest experiences and the success of them.

We hope you do return for many more enjoyable stays.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Excellent hotel. Stayed in a two bedroom suite as a family of four with two teenagers and the size and facilities of the quite were both very impressive. Very clean and spacious.
Some reviews have been critical of breakfast service - we found it to be excellent and good value, plus staff were very happy to help out wih more food e.g. bacon or added orders.
The shuttle service is fantastic; never an issue and Sidney the driver is a legend.
Location is very safe; we walked out to dinner on occasion and it was fine.
The V&A is not far, and very easy to access. Apparently it is safe to walk home at night from the V&A but with the shuttle why bother ?
Very easy to drive to city, Cape Quarter and then to Atlantic Seaboard.
Issues ?
(i) It can be noisy from the road at the front of the hotel, suggest getting a room up high or at the back if this troubles.
(ii) I was surprised to be charged for parking - may be an SA thing ?
Overall all staff were very helpful (inclduing housekeeping) and happy to respond for requests for help/advice - concierge very good arranging trips and recommending restaurants.
Would highly recommend as it surpassed our expectations.

Room Tip: Get one up high as the views are very good. At the back if noise troubles.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

i stayed at the Cape Royale for pleasure interest and what a amazing 5 star service and property cape town has to offer. all services was great. Suits where big enough made you feel like home but just with the luxury to it. staff where helpfull and friendly always willing to help with anything really great to have that warm heart people welcoming you to your room.
the maid service was done with excellents and they had great eye for all the detail in the room(big congrats to those ladies)

Room Tip: great value for money
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
wirral
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

I stayed here on business for 5 nights in June and found the whole experience disappointing. The foyer area of the hotel is impressive, with attentive and polite staff which gave the impression that I could expect a treat. My room was a large apartment style suite with separate bedroom, ensuite bathroom, lounge and fully equipped kitchen ( useful to have a washing machine and tumble dryer). Whilst the room was perfectly nice it overlooked a side street with a residential apartment building across the way. Unfortunately the only curtains into my room were see through which meant that the neighbouring apartment block had a great view into my living area when the lights were turned on. as a result I felt a complete lack of privacy. The ironing facilities in the room were dangerous! My first board kept collapsing, my 2nd trapped my fingers and my third had big metal spikes sticking through it guaranteed to slice fingers and clothes ( my colleague ironed 2 holes in his shirt sleeves due to this as he didn't notice the spikes). I complained about this and my dress was taken by concierge for ironing - they then charged me for the privilege.
Housekeeping were inconsistent throughout my stay. Some days they cleaned the room properly and on other days they did half a job. On one day I got home from work at 1500 to do some quiet work in my room to find nothing had been touched all day.
The hotel advertises a gym! I went looking for a gym that you would expect of a hotel of this calibre and couldn't find it! The reason? It's in a room smaller than a hotel bathroom with hardly any equipment. The spa, on the other hand is well appointed but very expensive. The pool is on the top floor of the hotel and is more like a plunge pool than something you could do laps in. It was closed early in the evening and locked when I stayed in June.
On check out there were a number of charges on my bill which shouldn't have been there so Im glad I checked it. The price of the phone calls were astronomical so I would not recommend using the phone, not even for a cheap local call. If I had to grade the hotel on the room alone it would be lovely but there were too many things about the services and extras that were sub standard which really let this place down.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank fluffypolite
TerriMallett, Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your expectations were not met on this occasion. Our guest feedback is one way we can ensure we have achieved our aim, and address anything we can alter to meet, if not exceed expectations of all guests. Please be assured that I have catalogued each item for departmental Managers so as to address. These issues will be a focus at the next management meeting to put actions in place to avoid a repeat.

In relation to your comments regarding the Housekeeping standards, please be assured that this is not the standard we aim to achieve and I will investigate your comments in full with the Executive Housekeeper. I will also investigate the comments you provided us relating to the Iron and Board in your suite, my apologies for this inconvenience.

In reference to your comments relating to the telephone charges, please be advised that we have implemented a new telephone call rate at the beginning of August. Realising the importance to our guests of having to access a telephone, we made the decision to reduce our call charges. Now all calls made from the hotel suites are priced in comparison to call rates made from any home line. We have removed the mark up which was previously in place.

I am disheartened that a favorable impression of Cape Royale Luxury Hotel and Spa was no longer held. Should you decide to return, please feel free to contact me directly to make the necessary arrangements so as to ensure a marked improvement is noted. I can be contacted either directly at the hotel by telephone or via email.

East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed here for a week and experienced a fantastic time. All staff were very professional and could not have helped more , especially Thomas and Clement who were very knowledgeable. The hotel cars were a bonus to take you anywhere within 5 Miles of the hotel to restaurants and shops ... Great personal touch. The rooms were spacious and had a full kitchen with washer/dryers too , that is so good when traveling for a while.
The food in the restaurant for dinner was superb, steaks a must to try! breakfast was also very good and had plenty of choice. We had heard lots of bad reviews about Cape Town so were pleasantly surprised at how safe we felt . The hotel is a short walk from the Waterfront so we got the hotel car to take us and drop us off and walked back , but you can call the hotel chauffeur to pick you back up.
The pool area is lovely although the pool is not warm enough at this time of year the to swim but the backdrop to Table Mountain is wonderful
Only downside was you need to call up reception for pans or other equipment to use in room! Not a real hardship but would be nice to have had a saucepan and frying pan in kitchen.
Least liked the noise from the bar next to hotel, as is underneath rooms and so some noise on a thursday /friday night if you are on front and above . They did offer to move us but we liked the view and put up with it ......
Would definitely recommend and would come back and stay here again. Keep up the good work and Thanks again for our great stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank C8201
Washington, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Call it a case of over-promising and under-delivering: this was the last of four hotels we stayed over two weeks as part of a tour package, and based on other TripAdvisor reviews and the hotel website photos, we were sure this was a five-star property compared to the prior four-star hotels. Indeed, upon arrival, we were impressed with the decor and ambiance of the lobby and our hallway; and the one-bedroom suite and bathroom appeared meticulous and with lovely lighting.

However, things started to get worse the day after our arrival. The biggie: after our daylong excursion, upon returning to our room, we discovered that a "do not disturb" sign (that we didn't place) was on the door, the door was unlocked, and the bathroom towels were gone. Puzzled, we also noticed that a plastic piece on the in-room safe where you enter the master key to open it was also broken off. Thankfully, nothing was stolen, but the apparent failed break-in attempt gave us discomfort during our remaining stay in Cape Town (out of five days) and certainly put us on heightened alert when dealing with the housekeeping staff. From this episode, I do want to emphasize that the response we received from Mr. Petrus Brandt, the operations manager, was excellent. He acted immediately and launched an investigation into what happened.

In terms of the rest: I always felt that what separates the five-stars from four-stars is the meticulous attention to service. Cape Royale appears to have them at a first glance from the bustle of concierge and service staff at the lobby, but the execution was off a lot of the times, or was at least inconsistent. In particular, the morning in-room breakfast service (included as part of our tour package) was late by at least 15 minutes every morning; oftentimes up to 30 minutes. We learned to put in a time on the door card keeping that into account. (For some reason, they never refilled the breakfast door card; we had to keep calling concierge to request it each night.) Also, the free shuttle/taxi service is a nice touch, but on our last morning in Cape Town, we asked for a ride to a market with a pickup time of 11am, and the driver didn't show up after 10 minutes so we ended up getting a taxi back. That is a definite no-no when one's watching their time. Finally, when checking out, when I asked a concierge member (whom I dealt with the most during my stay) about the results of the break-in investigation, I noticed that she was rolling her eyes talking to a colleague afterwards, which confirmed my impression of her general aloofness and forced politeness in our earlier interactions--I recommend that she should do a much better job of hiding her disdain for guests in the future.

Overall, the physical aspects of the property are definitely of five-star quality. And many of the service staff--if not all--do indeed seem to try their best, including one bellman who personally escorted us to a nearby ATM one night. However, even without the attempted break-in to our safe, I would say that Cape Royale has some ways to go to become what it aspires to be.

Room Tip: Best views are from higher up facing the waterfront.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Excellent stay all round, the Suite (Apartment) was huge it had great views and it was superbly appointed. The complimentary Wifi was excellent and the speed and signal consistent. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Mr Glenn,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write this comment on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. Please be assured I will pass all comments along to our staff. Once again, Thank You.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Cape Royale Luxury Hotel & Spa in the not too distant future.