“Do not leave any money into your room !”
Review of Cape Riviera

Cape Riviera
Ranked #34 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights there in october 2012. we had informed the managers by email that we would arrive late in the evening and it was fine with them. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by a security guard that walked us to our room, explaining that a manager would contact us in the morning. The next morning nobody from the staff talked to us or showed us around (what is usually done in other guest house). In fact, except the two women serving breakfast, we haven't met any people from the staff during our stay. This could have been fine if we had not found out on the day we left that some of our money was missing.

In fact, I had put some Rand notes in the inner pocket of my handbag and I had swiss money in my wallet. Few hours after we left the place, I noticed that half of the rands (around 1000 rands) were missing and half of the swiss francs in my wallet (260 swiss francs (equal to 2600 rands) had also been stolen. Overall it was an amount equal to 3600 rands that was stolen in our bags which was money we had just withdrawed to start our vacations. Few days later my husband even noticed that two bank notes he had in one of his bags were missing too.

The only place where someone could have access to my bag and to my wallet during these 3 days was in the guest house, as I always keep my bag close to me and no one could have had the opportunity to search through my luggage during these three days. The matter is that the only time I would let my handbag and wallet in the room was only when we were at breakfast (juste across the hall), thinking that it was pretty safe (however we always locked the door when leaving the room).

I contacted the managers of the guest house to report them this matter and Lisa answered me. She apologized for not welcoming us and thought we were independant and happy guests. She then told me that they will be investigating the theft that i reported. She also said that the reviews founds on some websites reporting other thefts at cape riviera were scam and that they had proofs.

I don't think the thief will be discovered, but as there are no safes in the rooms, I think the guests deserve to know that they should keep all their valuables on them even when attending the breakfast.

Except this, the guest house is good. The rooms are big, clean and comfy (we were quite cold howevere as we didn't know how to make the heater work). The guest house is located quite far from the center of town and from the waterfront (1 hour walking), but is close from Table Mountain. The breakfast is small but fine, however the two girls serving it weren't smiling or friendly at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Titisnanaille
10172012uu, Owner at Cape Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Madam

Firstly the way you were ignored was completely wrong and unacceptable. I as the owner take full responsibility and I apologise for this. I would like to inform you that my manager has tended her resignation as she admitted her performance was no longer good enough for Cape Riviera thus exciting times as we welcome a new manager soon
Regarding the money that went missing I am afraid you are mistaken as no member of staff enter bedrooms while the guest is present. I have a camera in the office and the house keys were only collected after your departure thus it was impossible for someone to enter your room. It was a long way between Cape Town and your home so it could have happened at any time but thank you for advising future guests not to leave money in there rooms. This is standard practise and now guests are requested to sign a form stating that they will place all cash in the office which is monitored by the same camera that monitors the house keys. I am however sorry monies went missing during your travels and wish you all the best

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We came here as part of our honeymoon. We were in room 12 which is at the top of the property and had fantastic views, from the front overlooking the city and waterfront, and from the back towards table mountain.The room was big and had a huge shower and separate bath. We were treated really well and were given champagne on our last night as it was our honeymoon. All the staff were really friendly and helpful and offered good advice and recommendations for places to eat. We did the hop on hop off bus tour and the hotel is in easy walking distance to stop 7 on the tour. We also hired a car and parked it outside with no trouble at all. It is in a quiet part of the city and we felt safe walking around even at night. As a base it was perfect for us and thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 12 has fantastic views and is spacious with good facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is a very beautiful guesthouse with amazing rooms,a great breakfast and friendly welcoming staff. We stayed for two nights in winter and we found the room cold but honestly this could have been our incompetence with the heater. So ask if you are cold and I'm sure they will help. We had two concerns - one more major than the other. We asked twice to have our balcony door locked and it took two days for this to be done. The lamp didn't work and this was never fixed. However our worse experience was that our son left this jacket with 500 rand in the pocket after we checked out. We returned an hour and a half later to retrieve the jacket -it was there but the money was gone. We let them know and we're told someone would get back to us but so far (3 days later ) we have heard nothing. This was very disappointing. So great stay but leave nothing of value in the rooms and use the safe.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MartiniJane
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We arrived at the Cape Riviera after dark and were absolutely wowed by the view from our room. An entire wall of glass looked out over the city. Just spectacular. The room was very large and well-appointed. Bathroom up-to-date with a great shower head. Two minor problems with the room. First, in front of the TV instead of a small sofa there were two enormous leather cushions. Watching TV from these was not comfortable as there is no back support and you do keep slipping off of the leather. Watching TV from the bed wasn't really an option because it is too far away from the set. Wouldn't really have cared about watching but the Euro Cup football was on. Second small problem, the hair dryer worked but there was no on/off switch so once you plugged it in, it was on. Minor problems, especially in light of the fantastic service, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, especially Eric and Lisa. Lisa's advice on restaurants and itineraries was always excellent. Breakfast was always delicious. Just loved our time here and thought it was amazing value for money.

Room Tip: Other rooms are even larger with sofas. If that is important to you, stay in one of those. But roo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Just a lovely place to stay. Especially at the end of a long trip living in five star concrete boxes masquerading as hotels. Well situated for cape town and Clifton beach. Warmly recommended

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Having spent some days on Safari and three days on Rovos Rail, it was nice to have some down time in Cape Town. What a superb guesthouse, thanks to Eric and Lisa for making us feel at home!
Comfy bed, wonderful shower, nothing was too much trouble. Oh, and the view from the balcony in room 10 was just beautiful!
Pics from the whole trip are at http://www.dd1961.com/southafrica

Room Tip: Room 10, lovely balcony and great views!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We had three nights here at the start of our holiday. What a great start. It might be nestled in a residential area but this is a great period property. All the staff were very helpful and our room spacious, clean and well equiped. As previous reviewers mention we were given sound advice on where to eat etc. There is a small italian cafe/bar/ just round the corner and up the hill a bit which does great lunches or a good value evening meal fora change.

We met the owner on the second night and spent a lovely couple of hours with him chatting away on the balcony over a complimentary bottle of fizz. You just don't get this at a big hotel!

The only negative was that the cooked breakfast was a bit limited; which if we were staying longer wouldhave been more of an issue.

This was just a taster of South Africa for us and we will definitely be back - to both Cape town & Cape Riviera. There is so muchmore to see and do. Highlights for us on this visit were Table Mountain & cable car ride (of course), Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens (excellent) and the penguins at Boulders Beach (remember to check under your car before driving off!).

See you all again soon!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple