“Great atmosphere, but average steak”

The Famous Butchers Grill
Ranked #322 of 1,142 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Famous Butchers Grill is a sexy steakhouse located in the Cape Town Lodge Hotel in Cape Town's city centre. Not only are the steaks amazing, but the restaurant also offers LIVE entertainment 7 days a week.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great atmosphere, but average steak”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I ordered a rump and my fiance a sirloin, although the cuts of meat were beautiful they were poorly seasoned. I have never added so much salt and pepper to my food in my life.
Really disappointed at how bland it was.

The atmosphere is really good though, with a two-piece band playing jazz it really was a good vibe that was created.

The service was good and our waiter made a point of addressing us by our first names after we met. Nice personal touch.

• Visited January 2014

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
“Great Steaks but not Family friendly”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Was really looking forward to my dinner, but unfortunately didn't quite meet expectations.
Steaks were very good quality. Service was excellent.
They do not cater in any way for children which is quite sad.
They put us in a section where there were no other guests, guess it's because we were a family.
Beverage prices are on par with 5 star hotels.
Not actually sure if I would return anytime soon.

• Visited December 2013
“Don't waste your hungry, time, patience and money there!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Terrible steak with lots of fat. Me
and my family could not manage to eat that thing they called rump, but for surre was not! They charge 10% with the bill as they know no one would tip that terrible food and slow-motion service! My desert came 1st, the others came when
I finish mine. My advise: stay away!I never write reviews, but this one I really felt I had to!

• Visited December 2013
“best grilled ribs”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

we had lunch here and we loved the grilled ribs very much . The restarurant served yummy set lunch at very afforadble price

• Visited November 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Worst restaurant experience in Cape Town”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My parents were visiting me here and stayed at the hotel this place belongs to, so as the weather was bad we decided to eat there for a night. The service was okay, the waiter made an effort at the beginning, but as the restaurant filled up, it became clear that there was simply too little staff to go around. At other restaurants of this price range we ate at over the last couple of days, our table was always checked on to get wine glasses refilled etc., but we turned to helping ourselves from the wine cooler, since the waiters were stretched too thin as the evening went on. There was life music, which created a nice ambiance, though the musicians looked a bit battered and unkempt for a restaurant (greasy hair, unshaven, in old t-shirts).

The food, compared to other places we went to, was poor. It wasn't inedible, but still a disappointment quality-wise. The meat in the Stroganoff was chewy, my dad's steak, ordered medium-well, was cooked into complete oblivion and burnt on one side, the Linguine with Feta, Basil Pesto and roasted mediterranean vegetables had a sauce that consisted mainly of double cream with no feta to be seen, and had a strange assortment of vegetables in it (who puts chunks of carrots into pasta like this?), leading me to suspect that someone had thrown in one of those pre-chopped packets of mixed vegetables. It was okay, albeit a bit rich and not exactly what was advertised on the menu, but I am not a big fan of paying for something in a restaurant that I can cook a better version of at home.

I would not recommend this place, especially with so many better restaurants just around the corner.

• Visited November 2013