“The Steak and the Hair”

Ranked #307 of 1,147 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Famous Butchers Grill is a sexy steakhouse located in the Cape Town Lodge Hotel in Cape Town's city centre. Not only are the steaks amazing, but the restaurant also offers LIVE entertainment 7 days a week.
Seattle, Washington
“The Steak and the Hair”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

As a frequent traveller to Cape Town that tends to mainly do Sushi or go frequent one of the hidden gems off the beaten track, I was in mood for a steak and decided to give TFBG a shot. It started badly and went downhill.

First off R30 bucks to park or you can park around 15m away on the street for free. Even the Waterfront which is expensive costs a lot less. So street parking it was as a 15m stroll would sharpen the appetite. The restaurant was really quite, maybe 4 or diners were there.

I understand things go wrong and mostly people are accepting of that but how you handle it is the what determines the lasting effect.

I ordered a steak and a baked potato with some onion rings. The steak was a tad overdone for medium rare but is was pretty tough, not quite what you would expect from a steakhouse. One would expect really tender meat. My baked potato; not sure how they do it but it seemed boiled or microwaved and then put in foil. No crisped up jacket or charred skins, it looked like a boiled potato, which would be fine except it had human hair in it. Less than ideal. I called the waiter over, who took it away but first took away some cutlery and a glass and seemed a bit flustered. So the brought me a clean plate with a new potato but the same steak. Granted I had only eaten maybe 15% of it, but my food had human hair on it, for goodness sake, just replace everything guys. Also I had put my side sauce over the steak and they never even thought to replace that. I got a "sorry about that", from the manager and that was all.

Serious lack of attention to detail or lack of training and a less than pleasant experience for me. Maybe that's why its not busy. At least I never paid for parking and I probably never will.

• Visited August 2013

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
“Terrible and awkward service...”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We ordered med rare steaks... got 2 mediums.. our waiter forgot our order and sauces 2 times... he was creepy, condescending and clearly forgot that the customer is always right... also tried to pass a lame excuse off as he clearly forgot about our order.. will go back.. but will not be served by el creepo again...

• Visited July 2013
“Value for money”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is the second time we used went to this restaurant. The ambience is nice and the staff very friendly and helpful. Both times we had the steak and cannot complain about the portions. I’m sure they give you more than they advertise. The steaks were over done to our order, but good tasting none the less. Will still go back to this restaurant as they are value for money.

• Visited May 2013
“Quality food”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The food at the grill is fantastic. Probably the best steak I have ever had. A meal for myself and the wife, I had the 350g sirloin, with a side of onion rings and a cider each came to a total of £28!!! Will be back for more before we leave.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank allsopp4
Cape Town, South Africa
“Happy returns”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I visited this Grill about two months ago. The meat was divine and cooked to perfection ( medium to well). It was served with potato wedges with coarse salt and warm vegetables of spinach and butternut. Service was quick and the ambiance was great. There is a bar situated just off the restaurant entrance with comfortable sofas and chairs to relax before your meal.
We recently went back again for the same meal ( the memories of the first one was still in our minds) . Meal was reasonable, the meat was not as tender as the first time but otherwise not something to fret about. Again service was attentive without being obtrusive. Will I go again? YES!

• Visited April 2013