Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #49 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This to me is the worst hotel in Cape Town. The porter staff are friendly enough until you make the mistake of trying to check in. Even though I am an IHG Platinum member, they make the guest pay for wifi for any more than one device. After 15 minutes of trying to find me a room, the room key I was given was already occupied. Certainly a surprise trying to get into the room while there was already another guest in the room. After another 15 minutes in reception I received another room key which was not already occupied this time. The rooms are adequate but the lighting is inadequate for any reading or working in the room. If you are hungry, there is no room service apart from dialling out to some delivery food place from nearby. On the 8th floor, you can also clearly hear the elevator going up and down. Even thought it was cheap, it was lousy value for money, stressful, and I will definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Check there isnt someone already in the room you have been given.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank roryjdoyle
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear roryjdoyle

Thank you for review regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention again and again apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced. As I explained when I met with you on the morning of your departure this unfortunate incident is not a true reflection of the standard of this hotel and as such the charge for your accommodation was reversed and the refund credited to your card upon your checkout from the hotel.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I hope that we have the oppertunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am a fan of the HIE chain, as it fits my requirements so well - no fuss, no frills, not people following you around... just what you ask for - clean, bed, breakfast - and friendly, helpful staff.

Our trip for the weekend to Cape Town was no exception. The staff were organised, knowledgeable and friendly. Room was clean and neat, with all the required bits and pieces - soap, shampoo, kettle, TV, Wifi, hair dryer etc. Beds were nice and firm, with clean sheets and a selection of pillows. The shower was able to accommodate my 2m of height too.

All-in-all, a great place to stay. I would recommend it to anyone who does not want to waste precious time and money of those "extras" that come with other hotels. Simple and effective. Thanks.

Room Tip: With central placement in the city, the views from all the sides are picturesque... I'd suggest...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarlacii

Dear sarlacii
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. I was pleased to read of your great experience and that you found our hotel convenient and well located.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good value in an excellent location - right on St Georges mall. Near taxis, the train station, and many shops and restaurants. The room was basic, although it was large enough to accommodate us and our young child. The breakfast was standard and a good start to the day. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bill2013227

Dear bill2013227
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I was pleased to learn of your great experience at our hotel, especially the comment relating to our location.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future and again thank you for your patronage and great comments.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here and was super pleased with the location, although my taxi had a bit of difficulty finding it as its between two very tiny streets and doesn't have a driveway in front of it, just a pedestrian path. Within walking distance of many shops and dining options, an out door market and bus stops for MyCiti and the train station. Rate includes breakfast which wasn't bad either. Rooms are very clean as well, and cleaned daily. Free wifi (up to 100MB per day)! Has a nearby restaurant that will deliver and it can charged to your room as well.

Room Tip: Make sure to request non-smoking if you want as it as some rooms are smoking friendly!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ben W
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Ben W

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I was pleased to note that you found our location convenient and our service and staff friendly and helpful.
My sincere apologies for the problem you encountered by not being able to locate us upon arrival. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Although we had to drive around the area several times before allocating it, we did not get any trouble from check in to check out. It was a walking distance to the amenities, quite and safe. Pity though, my room was facing away from Table Mountain, since I chose it I cant complain. The room was spacious enough, staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was superb. I would definitely stay there on my next trip to the Mother City and I would also recommend it to others.

Room Tip: go for the rooms facing Table Mountain
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sbongile
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre. It is particularly gratifying to note your comments regarding our team and the service that you received during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre in the near future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for a couple of days at the end of a business trip.
I drove from the airport and had a bit of trouble finding the car entrance since the entire area is blocked for cars.
Once I managed to get there everything went just fine.
The hotel seems newly renovated, the room I had was spacious and had everyting I needed.
Free breakfast is always included with the Express and now they also provide some free wifi which is great.
The only complain I das was that the heating was not working (may not even function at all) and it got a bit cold during th enight.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front street may be a little noisy during the night if located on lower floors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bob_Creek
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Bob_Creek
Grateful thanks for your recent review of our hotel and please accept my sincere apology for the intermittent fault on the air conditioning / heating system, which will be rectified immediately. I was pleased to note that all other aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed our Express Start breakfast which is complimentary to all our guests as well as our new addition of Standard Internet service free for all Elite IHG® Rewards Club members
Our location and proximity to local tourist spots and a wide selection of restaurants and coffee shops are unique features which many of our guests find appealing. We do hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a newish hotel the building used to be an office block central location good for all the city centre attractions.
It is a budget hotel so don’t expect 5 star service. The staff are friendly and helpful Breakfast was OK the do not do lunch or dinner and there is no pool or Gym.
Overall OK. I was on a business trip had a bit of trouble using the business centre as the printer was US, and the hotel location is not ideal a bit too central.
I would stay there if I was on holiday you spend most of the day out and about so no need for a fuss

Room Tip: They are all the same
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Hydrous

Many thanks for your review of our hotel during your recent stay. I was pleased to learn that overall you find everything to your satisfaction.

Our location coupled with the ease of reaching most businsses and tourist attractions in the City Centre are some of our unique selling points. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
Schotsche Kloof
Hilton Cape Town City Centre
Hilton Cape Town City Centre
#43 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town F...
#48 of 110 in Cape Town Central
City Bowl
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
#40 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre? Share your experiences!