“Don't waste your time.”

Ranked #28 of 1,171 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The original Hussar Grill in Rondebosch first opened its legendary brass doors in 1964 and today, after 50 years of excellence, it is regarded as one of South Africa's premier grillrooms. We go to endless lengths every day to maintain our multiple award-winning reputation by ensuring that we only purchase the finest and best quality produce available.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Tried to order something light and healthy and everything came smothered in some type of sauce or dressing. Shrimp cocktail was buried in a pink creamy sauce. My salad was floating in dressing. Husband's steak came with curdled bearnaise sauce. Hardly anyone in the place and our waiter seemed to prefer chatting with the bus boy rather than take care of us. Not fans.

1  Thank brookle
There are newer reviews for The Hussar Grill Mouille Point

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This restaurant is a meat lover's paradise! They offer a number of grill options, from beef to ostrich to hog's ribs (the ostrich filet is *amazing*!), as well as daily game meat specials. I saw a few people write that the interior doesn't have much of an ambience--I completely disagree. I loved the warm fireplace in the center of the restaurant and the walls lined with leather-bound books and vintage photographs. And there's no corkage fee--feel free to bring your own wine! Definitely returning if we're in Cape Town again.

1  Thank Audrey_Golden
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I went to this place while we were visiting cape town for a couple of days. Most of us loved our meals but some of the steaks were not as tasty. I personally had the T-bone and I thought it was perfectly cooked, and it tasted great. We also ordered a couple salads and they were delicious as well. The deserts were not bad either. Our waitress was very nice and pleasant and we throughly enjoyed our evening.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place was right next door to our hotel and we had to catch a flight real early in the morning so we stopped in for dinner.
The Steaks and Ribs were very good. They recommended some wine and it also was very good. When we left the place it was packed. This place had a great atmosphere and good vibe to it.

1  Thank RobGSherwoodPark
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I was excited to try this place. I guess that's where I went wrong. It's very nice inside and calming. We had an early dinner so it wasn't busy on a Thursday night. We had the starter calamari which small is very good. Very tender. And I wanted to try hog ribs since I love ribs. But they are very fatty. I had to cut most of it off. It was good but too much fat. And the side of fries were not very tasty as it was oily and not crispy. I had better at Arnolds. The sirloin steak(500g) a big healthy portion was undercooked. Asked for med but it was rare. It being a steak house I expect them to be able to cook a good steak. And If you can't then don't offer it. That's my opinion. It wasn't a bad experience but I have had bette steak in Cape Town. Oh and I did ask for the creamed spinach that never came out with my meal. It was ok. But will I visit again. No. Probably not.