“Great Time in Camps Bay”
Review of Primi Royal

Primi Royal
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Great Time in Camps Bay”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed for 16 nights in December 2013. We had a superb time at the Primi and loved exploring Cape Town and the surrounding areas. A big thank you to all the staff who could not have been more helpful and friendly.
Location is excellent, one street behind the main beach road so not too noisy but still with stunning views and convenient for the buses, restaurants and shops. As well as the Pick n Pay supermarket at the corner of the beach road there is a smaller and much nicer supermarket next to the Hussar Grill restaurant (turn left out of the hotel, up the hill). Taxis can be a little expensive but the buses are easy to use. Worth considering hiring a car to explore the surrounding areas – there is so much to see and do......Camps Bay beach is beautiful, but can get extremely busy on Public holidays - we found it an easy walk to the Clifton beaches which are a little more secluded.
A big plus point for the hotel is that they do not overcharge for drinks so when you are not out and about you can really relax here – it is the same price to have a drink from your mini bar as to purchase it at the main bar. If you have had a busy day and choose to stay in the hotel in the evening you can order food from their sister restaurant and have it delivered to either the terrace or your room for no extra charge. The pool area is small but comfortable – as there is so much to do in the area we never had a problem using a sunbed when we wanted to spend an hour or so relaxing.
The only issue we found with the hotel is that it is in need of some TLC from the owners – some of the furnishings/fittings are a little dated and there are a few minor maintenance problems. That said, we loved our time here and could easily overlook these issues as we were not paying 5 star prices to stay in this 5 star location! And the service was 5 star.....
Thanks to Liberty for sharing his local knowledge and making bookings for us, Alan for looking after us in the evenings, Zane for recommending a superb local restaurant (Il Capperro) for New Years Eve, Milton for his dry sense of humour and Primrose for her beautiful smile every time she greeted us. We hope to return........

Room Tip: Great views from room 7
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RufusUK2013
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hello Peter & Ruth,
A really lovely and informative review of the hotel & Camps Bay for our potential future guests - for which I thank you very much! As you know, we ALL loved having you and sincerely trust you'll be back soon! Your comments have been taken note of and I hope to be able to surprise you when you do return! Your individual thanks are sincerely appreciated and have been passed to the staff who in turn all grinned broadly. You totally made their day!
Best regards
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM ;-)))

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed in three rooms during my three week stay in Camps Bay, 6, 9 and 10. All rooms are very clean and comfortable but just need some slight maintenance work to meet its 4 star status. The staff are really attentive and helpful, and we were on first name terms, which makes the stay feel like being at home rather than on holiday. I would definitely stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dearest Andy - what can I say? You're a true gentleman and it was a delight having you. In fact I have to thank you for always being a walking, talking example to my staff of how to be polite, courteous, charming and helpful even though being on first name terms. You realise of course that returning year after year as you do virtually makes you one of the family? Hope to see you again very soon - if not this Christmas - then next! See you then!

Best regards and many thanks
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM ;-))))
London
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Following our wedding in Franschhoek our close family stayed at Primi Royal for a few days and it was perfect for us. All our other guests were located in Camps Bay so we were looking for somewhere not extremely expensive but still conveniently located. Primi Royal was great- friendly staff, close to all the restaurants of Camps Bay with a lovely little pool deck, nice breakfasts and off street parking. The rooms can probably do with a bit of modernising but with nice big en-suites it was fine by us.

Room Tip: The comfort rooms have a much larger bed than the standard doubles so may be worth upgrading. Room 7...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi and thank you for your kind words. We're very happy that you chose our hotel to base yourselves at after your wedding. We're also very happy that we could provide everything you and your family needed. I agree - we are very good value for money and Camps Bay is a perfect spot!
Kindest regards and the very best of luck for your future together!
Preston
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I actually thought I had already written a review soon after our return, but evidently it didn't 'take'.
My wife and I came to South Africa - me for the first time, and she to return after 40 years - and our first stop was this hotel in Cape Town. We had heard that it was friendly, and when we arrived, we were greeted by Liberty and Primrose and informed we had been upgraded to another room. Great sea views, with the waves crashing on the rocks. Liberty also recommended we go to Table Mountain ASAP as the weather was going to change soon. We did. It did! But we got some fantastic pics and views of Cape Town while the sun shone!
Not only that, but after discovering our plans, Liberty also booked various trips for us online, saving us time and effort, and making sure we received discounts. Service over and above! In fact all the staff went to great lengths to make our stay enjoyable.
The hotel is also very handy for the circular tour buses (Red & Blue) which is a good way to see the city.
On the down side.. the room, while really comfortable, had seen better days. The bathroom in particular looked a bit like a DIY job, and could do with a bit of a refurb. That being said, it did not detract from a lovely stay.
The staff in particular make this hotel; from Zane, to Liberty, Primrose and the bar guys whose names, so long after, I now forget - sorry.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Helloooo again - and thank you very much for your kind review. And thank you so much for your lovely comments about the helpful reception staff. We honestly do our very best to provide our guests with the best travel, tour & sightseeing advice possible to make their stay memorable. Hoping you'll choose us again if you ever return. You'd be made most welcome.

While on the subject of advice: If I could advise anything it would be for guests not to pre-book Table Mountain (particularly in winter) as tickets are not refundable if the weather turns bad (windy & cloudy) and often the weather conditions may only improve after the guest has left Cape Town.

But I do recommend that they pre-book Robben Island in the very busy holiday season (begin Nov to end Feb/March), as tickets are sold out many days in advance of trips and leaving in to last minute may prove disappointing.

Once again thanking you and very best regards
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My Partner and I visited South Africa for the first time and this was our first stop. Our room was lovely, the staff were really friendly and helpful, breakfast was excellent and the hotel was in a good location; close to the beach. We found it to be a good base for trips in to Cape Town and also exploring the Cape Penninsula. There was parking for our hire car which made things easy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Tina
Thank you for taking time to review us. Very much appreciated!
Judging from your other reviews of South Africa, you had an overall wonderful time!
It certainly looks like you chose the best of South African destinations for your travels.
Do come back if you get the chance!
Kindest regards
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

In January 2013 my husband and I came to get acquainted with Africa: we travelled to tourist sites in the neighbourhood of Cape Town 8 days and then lay on the beaches of Zanzibar in Tanzania 11 days.
We chose a resort town Camps Bay to stay in South Africa which is 7 km away from the centre of Cape Town. It was a surprising combination of fascinating mountains, wide snow-white beaches, Atlantic Ocean and magnificent travellers’ service. Main road named Victoria road stretched along Camps Bay in parallel with the ocean. One direction of this road led to Cape Town, another - to the National parks and travelling spots on the coast of the two oceans and ended up at the Cape of Good Hope.
We found a variety of qualitative restaurants and bars along the Victoria road and opposite the beaches. Every single evening was a fun. There were many people, smiles and a lot of loud music.
Anticipating the trip and reading the reviews had made us pre-book a small boutique- hotel Primi Royal located just above the Victoria road.
I should tell about advantages of this hotel.
It was really quiet there!
In the evenings there was a choice. You could have lonely dinner with delicious food from the nearest supermarket «Pick and Pay» on the room balcony enjoying the mountains and the ocean. Or we could sit in pleasant restaurant, dance and have fun followed by walking along the beach. And believe me, evening walks on Camps Bay were safe!
Comfort, cosiness, cleanliness.
Booked beforehand the room was better than we had expected it to be:
• Angular spacious with a large balcony on two sides. On the one - ocean view, on the other - stunning view on the mountain called Lion's Head
• The room was divided into several zones: one queen-size bed with a canopy on the podium; other zone had the sofa, armchairs, TV, coffee table; kitchen area - desk with numerous shelves and cupboards, electric kettle, all set for tea and coffee, refrigerator, then - comfortable large wardrobe and a place for suitcases. Each area had its separate electric light
• The floor was carpeted all over the room.
• Souvenirs, statuettes, vases, paintings on the walls - all reminded us that we were in Africa.
• I should definitely highlight the bathroom! Our room was situated on the third floor - the upper floor in the hotel which by the way had an elevator. The ceiling in the bathroom had a window. The sun rays were so bright that it seemed electric light was on. The bathroom had a full set of sanitary equipment: sinks, w.c. pan, bidet, a large shower area and a large angular bathtub.
Breakfast was traditionally European. After the meal time the area where it was usually served was transformed into a relax space. Everything was organized for guests: tables, sofas and armchairs, bar where we could try cocktails or a delicious Cherry Spirit.
Our hotel had its own swimming pool and a solarium zone.
There was free Internet available.
There were organized enough parking places for all the guests.

Ideal starting point for trips.
We rented a car for a few days and managed to visit most popular travelling areas:
• Table Mountain National Park
• Cape of Good Hope
• Simon’s Town was visited twice because of fascinating local penguins!
• Two days were devoted to Cape Town sightseeing
• During the first trip we visited the oldest winery Groot Constantia and botanical garden area on gentle mountain slopes called Kirstenbosch Gardens
• More than one time we stopped to admire the views from the Chapman’s Peak Drive
• Many times we just strolled along Camps Bay, admired the mountain chain of Twelve Apostles located opposite the Atlantic Ocean beach
Tired of left-side driving along mountain roads and impressions we were eager to return to our temporary cosy nest!
And more
We are expressing our special thanks to the hotel staff for their hospitality; imperceptible maintenance of cleanliness and comfort; and of course for endless aspiration to assist the guests in every puzzling situation.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a corner balcony. To have an outdoor pool in room not necessarily better to have...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dearest Irina
Wow! I'm totally amazed at your very helpful and detailed review of your trip to Africa and Cape Town. I think you have a career in Travel blogging!!
Thank you for your very kind words about our hotel and staff. I have to say it was our absolute pleasure having you because you were always upbeat and happily excited about everything.
The perfect guest! Please do come again because there is lots more to see and experience!!

Kindest regards
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2013

What I mean by cover up is that the manager/owner seemed to want to blame anyone except herself for the following double bookings.
We had first booked and had the confirmed voucher from Agoda to stay at the sister property, Primi Seacastle and it was only after I contacted them to change our arrival date that they said they had no record of our reservation and were fully booked anyway. After much discussion with the manager and them not been able to explain how they hadn't received notification of our reservation even though it was a guanteed 4 night stay Agoda voucher we were transferred to the Primi Royal and promised the classic top floor balcony seaview room. I then arranged and confirmed our transfers via the hotel for our airport pick up which I had also changed and re confirmation with Primi Royal due to our late arrival flight, BUT we get to the airport and no one is there to pick us up. We finally arrange our own transport around 11.30pm and when we get to the property are put into a standard room with no balcony at all. I told the night receptionist that this isn't the room we booked but he said he couldn't do anything about it as they were full. I had my confirmation of the 50% payment for our promised room in my hand. It was most upsetting especially after the previous stuff up with their sister property, no airport pick up and didn't make for a good nights sleep after travelling all day from Mauritius.
Anyhow the next day Liberty (reception and very helpful) arranged to move us to the correct room and not charge us for the first night, whoopee. BUT wait there is more, we had no balcony furniture to sit and enjoy the sunset (see photo) but other balcony rooms did?
Liberty was good enough to show us their reservation system and we could see where someone had cancelled our booking in their system 3 days after we had paid our 50% deposit?????
When I spoke to the manager/owner she wasn't aware that I had done my own investigation and tried to make excuses about the property been a test property for a new reservation system and because of this also cancelled our late night airport transfer because they didn't have a reservation, what crook. How then did they have our details when we arrived late for check-in on the 25th October? A simple apology from the owner that they had stuffed up and not some mysterious system failure would have been nice. Anyhow after all this we did enjoy Camps Bay and used Primi Royal as a good base to explore.
During out stay I was suddenly taken mysterious ill and I must thank the manager/owner for her concern and contacting a doctor to attend within 20 minute, thank you.
It is not a nice feeling when someone tries to cover up an error and I had the feeling the manager/owner wasn't too happy that I had asked to see their reservation system and find out for myself. I hope Liberty wasn't scolded for only doing his job in helping us out?
Whilst we enjoyed Camps Bay area and the position of the property our personal overall rating of the Primi Fawlty Tours experience is based on a comparison of the many other properties we experienced during out Mauritius/South African 22 day holiday.

Room Tip: Contact the property before arriving to confirm you are in their reservation system
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Ron and Lorri

Oh dear. What can I say? I have to wonder: As the resort owners I believe you are: haven't you ever had even 1 double booking or 1 single technical problem with your booking system?? It's never intentional - but it certainly does happen. Total panic stations for the hotelier! Apart from apologizing (yes we did) - we did everything we possible could to make it up to you - even upgrading you to a beautiful Superior Suite (not Classic which you had paid for). Sorry you had no patio chairs - the outdoor furniture - one room at a time was being sanded & re-varnished for summer season.

Yes I confirm that our 2 hotels have been the test drive bunnies for a brand new booking engine in South Africa which - through blood, sweat, tears and 6 months of many trials and errors - we managed to magically salvage information and correct errors in time. Except for yours - for which I unreservedly apologized then and now again. Sincerely so! We have no idea HOW or why it happened, but your booking was cancelled, which is why when the airport transfer company called to confirm your pick-up, the night manager said there was no booking on the system with your name and to cancel the pick-up. Back to the system error. The only evidence of your booking were yours and our email correspondences. That's why we knew about you - post error discovery! PS: Why would I be upset that Liberty was honest with you? He is the Hotel Manager after all and WE owed you our transparency.... Yes I was initially upset - but only because you were so unforgiving and unbelieving that we had had an unintentional system error (considering you of all people would know 1st hand of the problems all hoteliers have behind the scenes). Thankfully I managed to salvage my credibility somewhat when I saw your sudden onset of illness and called an emergency doctor. So sorry you had to spend your last day in bed though.

However I leave you with YOUR beautiful Tripadvisor mantra: "Treat every day as a new adventure, don't dwell on what happened yesterday and don't worry about tomorrow. Yesterday has gone and tomorrow hasn't arrived." (Note to myself...)

Bon voyage, safe and happy travels and I trust your illness is a thing of the past. Please do consider allowing us to host you on another occasion to show you that we do - and can do things properly ;-)

Sincerest best regards