“Relaxing stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Reading, United Kingdom
“Relaxing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Very helpful staff. We were able to check into our room early which was very useful. The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable.

The breakfast was great, the best fruit salad, great croissants and tasty bacon.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dearest Katherine

Thank you so much for your kind words! Very much appreciated!
Also vary happy that you enjoyed the bed, the room & our breakfasts! ;-)))

THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were booked to stay in the Primi Royal as the final leg of our amazing honeymoon and were extremely excited about the trip. We looked at the website before we booked and the hotel looked fabulous and rated four star. Our tour operator advised the hotel it was our honeymoon and we arrived for our four night stay.
What an absolute disappointment. The hotel did not realise or acknowledge it was our honeymoon unlike the two previous hotels we had stayed in and when we arrived we were buzzed in and took the lift to the hotel reception. The welcome was less than warm and the hotel reception was tired and smelled of fried food.We were offered no help with our bags and had to settle ourselves into our room. The room seemed to have been half renovated but certainly wasn't up to a four star rating. The room also smelled of fried food and had a ripped drapes over the bed and very tired furniture in the room.
We were so disappointed we immediately searched for a new hotel to stay the following night. My husband and I could only liken the hotel to hostels we had stayed in in the past. There were paper flags on the walls and the hotel was very basic. One thing in its defense is the close poximity to the beach.
In short if you want a cheap and very basic hotel with no luxuries but a decent location this hotel could be an option, however if you want a four star hotel with good customer service, I would avoid this poor standard of hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Katie

Please accept my deepest apologies to both you and your husband for what turned out to be a disappointing honeymoon stay. I can't comment on the fried food smell as we don't ever cook anything but breakfast 7.30-9.30am and that would be the smell of bacon, eggs & sausages frying in the dining area, and the smell never lingers very long at all. As for the curtains: Your room had just that morning had a damp section on the wall behind the curtains repaired and I can only assume removing the curtains in time was a serious oversight by my staff, for which I do apologise.

We are certainly not in the business of making excuses, and accept the comment of the poor reception service you received as an opportunity to simply do it better in the future. I reiterate that it is our mission to focus on our guests enjoyment and that service delivery is always a priority as attested to by our many dozens of positive reviews. My team have accepted the errors made and will make it their priority to ensure that every one of our guests enjoy an amazing experience on every visit.

PS: The cloth flags are a string of colorful triangular world flags draped over our reception desk and our guests generally love them. And I'm sorry you were not able to see any of our other rooms or our more luxurious superior rooms - which are genuinely really lovely - as I'm sure your comment of being a cheap and basic hotel would not have been made.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Very disappointed on arrival, signed a disclaimer re thieves etc ...unwittingly! Horrendous bathroom (room 5) - bedroom ok, good view & very good location although the wardrobe doors were hanging off & the fridge was dirty with half drunk drinks!!! Staff helpful (we were upgraded to a better room with better bathroom after 2 days)... My advice to them, give the place some tlc & sort the bathrooms & the speediness of breakfast which was nice but v slow. Also water went from ok to burning (I burnt the soles of my feet!) to being cold!! Laundry went in Friday, asked again where it was Sat ... Told after asking Sun it hadn't been done ... we were leaving Monday!! Great great location, needs attention - def not 4 star by along shot b & b 3 star rating tops in my opinion.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tessalo

We're incredibly embarrassed to have not gotten such a simple task right such as getting the mini-bar fridge clean or getting your laundry done on time.. We will re-evaluate the procedures that we currently have in place to ensure that all requests from our guests are correctly and efficiently dealt with. I am so sorry you left our hotel with a sour taste in your mouth, and although we cannot change what had happened, we sincerely hope to have another opportunity to make amends.

As far as the disclaimer is concerned: It is in perfectly legible print on the form - immediately above where the guest signs - and is standard practice at all hotels.

KIndest regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We just ended three amazing weeks of our honeymoon in South Africa, and the end of it was ruined by the AWFUL experience we had in our stay in Primi Royal hotel! At first we thought it was a nice place to stay, which turned out to be a big mistake as my husband's cell phone - a Samsung Galaxy S4 -was stolen from our locked(!) suitcase in our locked (!) room!!
We left the room that morning after we made sure that we locked the phone in the suitcase and when we came back to the room the suitcase was closed but the phone was gone!!! Somebody opened our suitcase and stole it !!! after the manager of the hotel came in to talk with us, she made it very clear to us that "this is "only" the forth theft case we had in 16 years�� and that "the only person that enters your room is the cleaning lady", and that she has no proof that our phone was even there! So she hopes we have insurance.. She also instructed us exactly what to tell the police so that the cleaning lady wouldn't be taken to jail... in other words- it was obvious that the manager of the hotel, and the owner who instructed her, did not care at all about the hard feelings of their guests, did not take any responsibility for what happened in their hotel and the only thing that worried them was that the good name of the hotel will not be stained!! We were very disappointed about the way things were handled, about the fact that the owner did not think that we should get any kind of compensation, and for not being updated about what was going on even after the police's visit to the hotel!! To conclude - we did not expect to get our phone back, however we hoped that the hotel will mind that something like this happened to guests in their hotel, something so unusual should be treated more seriously and the hotel should do something to make us feel better in a situation like this! Take our advise - don't stay in this hotel if you care for your belongings!!!!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Hagit B
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Why Do Hotels NOT Compensate For 'Alleged Theft' Of Guest Property ?

Hotel theft is something that hoteliers worldwide take extremely seriously. Statistics show that - Theft and Fraud by Both Staff and Guests - take a serious financial toll on the bottom lines of most hospitality entities.

More importantly, not only are hotels at the growing risk of direct financial loss from Guest Fraud, but Unfair, Untruthful or Subjective and Exaggerated Reviews can be devastating and therefore hotels can also suffer irreversible damage to their reputations. This is financially very costly, because potential guests take their business elsewhere.

Apart from genuine cases of theft, there is also no doubt that thousands of people worldwide report money or possessions missing - in the hope of being reimbursed or getting to stay for free. That is called Fraud and we will not be held hostage to that - ever. And THAT is why every single one of our guests signs a Legal Disclaimer. That means you do not hold the hotel responsible for anything going missing from your room. The simple fact is that, if you leave anything of value in a hotel room safe - then it's ultimately YOUR responsibility - not the hotels. However if you need to keep valuables extra safe, then they must to be deposited with the reception staff and kept in the hotel's safe, then, if anything goes missing, the hotel definitely will accept responsibility. This applies to every reputable hotel in the world.

When you check into a hotel you do not show your money or expensive items and therefore hoteliers have no proof of anything claimed to have disappeared. That does NOT however mean hoteliers do not take every precaution in safe guarding your possessions. Of course they do everything humanly possible.

That being said: even in the best hotels, things occasionally go wrong. However Patience, Persistence, and Smile go a long way toward getting results when you have a valid complaint at a hotel - as well as being Realistic about your Expectation for Compensation.

Dear Hagit: To address your complaint specifically - please understand clearly:
1) When you checked into the hotel, you signed a Disclaimer which states:
Conditions of Residence: I hereby agree, as a condition of my occupation of the premises, that the owner/operator of the premises shall not be responsible and/or liable for any accident, or any injury to or death of any person, or LOSS, damage or destruction to any property brought by me upon the premises, whether arising from fire, THEFT or from any other causes and whomsoever caused, or arising from negligence (gross or otherwise) or wrongful act or omission of any person in the employ of the owner/operator of the premises. I accordingly hereby indemnify and agree to hold harmless Primi Royal CC or the owner/operator of the premises, their members, officers, employees, agents, contractors or sub-contractors in respect of any responsibility and/or liability as aforesaid. I acknowledge that - the wireless Internet connection available at the premises is unsecured and that I utilise the Internet at my own risk. I hereby indemnify and hold Primi Royal CC harmless against any loss or harm of whatsoever nature and howsoever arising, whether direct or indirect, from the dissemination of any data through the use of the Internet facilities the public areas of the premises are monitored by closed circuit television. I consent to the use of any surveillance material in a court of law should such use thereof become necessary in the sole opinion of Primi Royal CC.
GUEST SIGNATURE: you signed

2) You were shown your own personal electronic room safe in your cupboard, to which only you would have had the code - but which you chose not to use.
3) You freely admitted that your suitcase lock was easy to open and that you were often careless in only spinning 1 of the combination keys instead of all of them.
4) When you reported the incident, I did everything a Manager is expected & supposed to do. And yes - I told you not to ‘lay a charge of theft’ against your room housekeeper because neither you nor I had proof at that stage that she was the alleged thief. You even suggested it was one of our guests. You cannot simply accuse someone without proof! I advised you correctly: to report the phone ‘missing’ and the police would investigate further.
5) You reported the incident and there is a Police Case Number on the incident report.
6) I also reported the incident to the police; who investigated the following day and found no evidence at all to prove there was a theft and if indeed there was - who stole it. And I DID report this to you and your husband later that evening when you got back to the hotel from your day out.
7) Apart from reporting to the police, I also suggested you claim from your insurance. Yet you not only did NOT have your cell phone insured, but you did not even have travel insurance! Being seasoned travellers as you claimed to be - I found that quite unbelievable - as this is an imperative aspect of foreign travel.
8) It was only when you insisted that our hotel was not safe and you wanted to leave immediately, that I politely requested you stay, because you had nothing to fear. You had after all, extended your stay an extra 2 days, because you were enjoying your stay with us so much!

I only mentioned to you about the other 3 incidences of ‘alleged’ stolen money (never a cell phone or anything else) because I personally think that only 4 ‘alleged’ incidences in a 16 year period is a miracle in itself considering that hotel theft is rife – worldwide! And as with most hoteliers we will not to be held ‘hostage’ to any claims and we stand our ground on our Legal Disclaimer - which you agreed to and signed.

I WAS genuinely and sincerely sympathetic towards you and your husband and I DID apologise numerous times! And while I am not disbelieving of your story - you and your husband on the other hand were determined to get us to replace the phone (that we had no proof ever existed) and you both also wanted us to ‘‘Pay or Do Something - to Make you Feel Better.......”. I was given the distinct impression that your husband wanted us to cancel your hotel bill. PS: The cost of that cell phone was worth more than double your entire stay at our hotel. Put that into context from our point of view: Pay for a phone worth double your hotel bill plus cancel your bill - yet no proof of anything? Sorry - but no.

Lastly for you to paint myself & the owner as unfeeling monsters is grossly unfair. Of course we were concerned for your loss! And yes of course we value our good reputation.

But we will NOT be blackmailed by your bad review. Our conscience is clear that we did all we could under the circumstances. We once again apologise unreservedly and sincerely for your alleged loss, but we do suggest you take out travel insurance in future. Please consider this matter now closed.

We genuinely wish you well in your future together and in your travels.

PRIMI ROYAL MANAGEMENT
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Is this hotel perfect? - no. There are little things that take away from it being that - but they are just that: little. Overall it is one of the best value hotels I've stayed at - and by value I don't mean cheap. The location is amazing, less than 5min walk from Camps Bay main beach.

We booked 2 rooms - both sea facing superior rooms - and were a little apprehensive after reading some recent reviews - but we had absolutely no reason to worry.

We stayed in Room 10 (3rd floor) which had amazing views, was spacious for the two of us and a 2 year old, had a comfy king size bed, a spacious bathroom and outside spa bath. It also has a little kitchenette with bar fridge - would have been nice to have a sink and microwave as well - maybe to consider for future?

The service from every staff member was outstanding - no request was an issue - and everyone was efficient and pleasant to deal with.

Breakfast was a highlight - both cold and hot options were delicious.

What can be improved? Some finishings (curtains, electric cables, towel rails) could be updated/tucked away etc - but if you base your holiday experience on this - then you're off the mark. Towels could be updated as well - first few days great, but later they looked like older ones.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel for anyone from families to couples to anyone looking for a great venue at very good rates.

Room Tip: Go for the superior sea facing rooms (1 and 10). We stayed in room 10 which had breathtaking views...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Deeolan G
Dear Family G... All 6 of you ;-)
What a genuine pleasure it was having you all. Specifically that you were all so vocal in your praise and thanks to staff - even for the smallest things. You took our breath away on occasions. What a delight! Our housekeeping staff fell in love with you all because of that! And thank you for your honest appraisal of our hotel. Sincerely appreciated. No we're not perfect, but we continually strive to be. Deeolan, we've taken all your comments & suggestions to heart & are working on those aspects as we speak. Apologies for the slightly older towels on your last day. Our laundry let us down with their delivery (vehicle broke down) and we had to resort to using older ones, which was regrettable. The joys & tears in running a hotel never ends!

Please do come back again if you can next year? We'd love to have you back!
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM :-)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband & I spent a really lovely evening at Primi Royal, thanks to Zane for redeeming the brand after a bad experience at their sister hotel.
The room was do divine, the outside bath is a real winner! We will definitely be back to Primi Royal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Robyn L
Aaah Robyn.... Breath of fresh air that you are. Thank you for allowing us to redeem ourselves over the misunderstanding at our sister hotel. And you're most welcome. I know we'll see you again! So until then...

THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM ;-)
Sedbergh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great location,great & extremely helpful staff ! Really really enjoyed our stay & we were made to feel like part of the family ! Nothing was too much trouble & the depth of knowledge & helpful advice was fantadtic

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mike M
Dearest Mike - I wish you guys had had more time...
Soooooo much more to see & experience in our beloved Cape Town!!
Please do come back if ever you have the chance!
I've got LOADS more to share with you! xx
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM ;-)