“NOT a 4 star hotel - Shocking!”
Review of Primi Royal

Primi Royal
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“NOT a 4 star hotel - Shocking!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The first impression was not welcoming (No sign to where the reception is - If I did not find someone staying there coming out of the lift, I would never have found it). We parked with great difficulty (I had to climb out and my husband struggled to get out of the car) due to the size of the parking available. They misplaced our booking, told us not to worry as they have one room still available (probably ours we figured - how wrong we were). Exploring the unit let us to broken sliding door handles (literally hanging by a thread). The furniture was broken, run down and tired, the bath was leaking, the howling wind screaming through the sliding doors due to it not closing properly kept us awake all night. We had a very uncomfortable sleep as we asked for a large double bed, but got a single and three courter bed pushed together - causing a rift in the middle of the bed - no romantic getaway here - we had to each sleep on our own bed. The towels were so old and worn and piled on top of an old towel heater that did not really work properly so could only heat a bit of one towel at a time. There were only a couple of TV channels not correctly tuned on an old TV, while they advertised cable and satellite and flat screen TV. They also advertise breakfast in room??? This was not an option. Elegantly decorated?? Run down is more like it, Bidet?? Nowhere to be seen?? The breakfast was not the normal spread that we are accustomed to in lesser star bed and breakfasts. The table cloth were dirty and no indication of the warm menu anywhere to be seen. The only highlight was however the warm English breakfast and coffee - very expensive breakfast though. This place cost me more than what I would have paid for a 5 star location in Langebaan. We selected this hotel as it ticked all the boxes of what we wanted for a quite getaway - but alas, it offered almost nothing. We have been around the world and stayed in many places, but never this bad. You always get what you pay for. This is definitely not a 4 star rating hotel - do not know how they got it. It sends a bad and misinformed message about Cape Town and the South African hospitality industry and the standards that we offer to world travelers. We were actually willing to suck it up. The final straw was when they asked us to move the next day after breakfast as another guest is coming in and we were staying in his superior room - we moved alright - we moved out! If we spent the night in a superior room I was not sticking around to find out how bad the classic room was going to be ... I have never left a review anywhere, but this just warranted warning to other travelers.

Room Tip: Do not stay there at all
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Monica B
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dearest Monica and Adriaan, I doubt anything I say will ever appease your obvious dissatisfaction with absolutely every thing you encountered in our hotel. I’m genuinely sorry about that & do not wish to explain or argue any point with you. You clearly have standards we could not ever hope to match. Suffice to say we sincerely apologise.

But for the benefit of future guests:

We categorically did not misplace your 2 night booking. You did an online booking which we have no control over and clearly something went wrong while you were booking (as it occasionally does) because the booking engine you used did not send through the confirmation to us. We did the best we could for you under the circumstances. A long time returning guest had booked and paid in advance for that specific room for the following 14 nights and we had no choice but to ask you to move. You would have expected the same if you were the other guest. I do however apologise for this.

The Tourism Board of South Africa inspects us on an annual basis. They inspect every aspect of the hotel before awarding the star rating they think appropriate. We also have mostly excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. So we must be doing somethings right!?

We have had 1000’s upon 1000’s of guests over the years and the wonderful, thoughtful heartfelt feedback we get on a daily basis from foreign guests is reward enough and that's what keeps us going. Thankfully most of our guests absolutely love staying with us ~ and for this we are extremely grateful.

THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was looking forward to coming here as had read the reviews good and bad but as there were so many good one's I felt confident all would be well
What a surprise I had...... I am extremely suspicious that the good reviews have been written by those employed by the owner as there is no way on earth that this could be rated a 4 star hotel!!
The room as you enter looks wonderful..... but looks can be deceptive as on a closer look (though you don't have to look too far) you will find a bed with no headboard so you bash your head on the mirror put in it's place (placed maybe to give the illusion of a bigger room??)
The bathroom has no heating and again although it looks at first lovely with the corner bath, the shower is grubby, there is mould on a lot of the tiles and around the windows, the rack that holds the toiletries is held on by single screw.
All windows are aluminium, so the noise from the traffic keeps you awake and are also do not give you confidence regarding the security!!!!
Our room had an air con/heating box that did not work, I was informed that someone had stolen the outside pipes so the room at night was cold (and the bathroom in the morning!!!!)
Having read the negative views the excuse is always that the hotel is undergoing repairs yet one of these reviews was back in April !!!!!!! There are signs everywhere saying about repairs but I saw no sign of this (though to be fair this was the weekend)
The room does however have a lovely sea view!
The staff were pleasant, Liberty especially but would I stay here again NO WAY!!!
Please be very sceptical about the POSITIVE reviews!!!!!

Room Tip: I can only comment about room 4
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
As any experienced reviewer knows, Tripadvisor is extremely careful with reviews and their contributors. Through sophisticated technology, they are able to track & trace the IP address of all contributors and every review is thoroughly screened & tested for irregularities. Therefore to suggest that an owner had his employees write the reviews is not only ridiculous but impossible because Tripadvisor would catch them out immediately and the review would never be posted.

Dear Carolyn, I do apologise and am genuinely sorry you found your room not to your satisfaction. Sincerely wish you better luck in your future travels.

1) Generally South African hotels do not have heated bathrooms because we do have a warm sunny climate after all. We even lived without air-conditioning until fairly recently and it became a 'modern necessity'.

2) In South Africa most properties along any of our coastlines have aluminium windows. That is one of the better modern accomplishments = No rotting wooden window frames! :-)

3) And yes we had an inconvenient & unexpected theft of all the copper piping of the air-conditioner condensor units kept in the garages. Copper is a valuable commodity.... The joys of living in South Africa. So sorry you had to experience the after affects of what some of us locals deal with on a daily basis.

There is a saying "If You Try To Be Everything To Everyone, You’ll Be Nothing To No One”. Therefore as much as one tries, one cannot satisfy everyone. That’s a fact.

But to the guests that do show their happiness & appreciation - I say a heartfelt thank you! We’ll just continue to do the best we can and hope to hit the right spot - most of the time that is. ;-)).

THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM ;-)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a great little boutique hotel, lovely staff and we were lucky to get the best room which is a real treat. Large enough for 3 of us and room to spare, lovely bath and huge shower. Outside pool which is probably great in summer...too cold in winter and just a plunge pool but a nice touch. Good continental + cooked breakfasts, nothing too much trouble. This place is just too good to miss ! Very good spot with parking, but only 2-3 minutes walk to all that Camps Bay has to offer...exceptional !

Room Tip: Get Room 1 if you can !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank James K
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
James ~ James ~ thank you... You're too kind. Such a pleasure having the 3 of you. But you have to be be careful with all this praise.. cos some people on this site would suggest we actually paid you to be so positive!! LOL :-))) And considering you have 56 reviews & 13 hotels reviews you must be supa mega wealthy by now! (wink wink)
Best regards!
The Primi Royal Team :-)
Pretoria
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a night in one of the standard rooms with a sea view. When we arrived, the check in process was done efficiently and we were shown our room.

The room was comfortable our only complaint was the 'shower'. It had a bath tub with a glass screen to use as a shower. The 'shower head' would splatter water everywhere and the pressure was terrible and couldn't be adjusted.

The breakfast was nice and tasty.
Overall we had a pleasant stay, and would go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review - very much appreciated that you took the time to do so.

I read your comment about the shower in our feedback form which you filled in prior to leaving & our maintenance guy had a look at the shower head immediately after you left. And yes - you're were quire correct in saying it splattered. He also found that it was very stiff to manoeuver & to the untrained person would appear not to be able to move at all. But he used some Q20 & adjusted it and its now very much improved. Thank you for bringing that all to our attention. The water pressure unfortunately we have no control over as this is a municipal issue.

Hope we do see you again!
The Primi Royal Team :-)
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights here in June and couldn't have asked for anything more. The welcome was warm, the room was beautiful, clean and comfortable, and the view from our deck was spectacular. This boutique hotel is warm and intimate while still being professional. The location is also fantastic for walking down to the beach or to dinner at one of several restaurants. An added unexpected bonus was the tiny bar and amazing views while enjoying our delicious breakfast. We will definitely stay here again when back in the Cape!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Ahhh thank you so much for your perfectly lovely review!!
Makes our hearts glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves.
The hard working staff will also be delighted to hear you speak so well of us.
Please do come back when you come to the fairest Cape of all!
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM :-)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights here earlier this month. (June) This small, boutique hotel is well positioned just off Beach Road in beautiful Camps Bay. If you walk 10 minutes up the hill from the hotel, you will reach the Hassar Grill which is a fantastic and renowned steakhouse with no charge on corkage. I highly recommend it. If you walk 5 minutes downhill in the opposite direction, you will reach the beachfront, full of upscale bars and restaurants.

Our stay was part of a trip taking in Safari and Victoria Falls. We selected this time of year to coincide with the best time to see the Falls and so were aware Camps Bay in June (SA Winter) is very quiet due to the fact the weather in the Cape at this time of year doesn’t lend itself to sun worshipping. However, being there in Winter does not take away from the beautiful scenery of the area with the beach, promenade and the 12 Apostles Mountain range in the background.

You enter the hotel via an intercom system and FOB key. Once inside you can get the elevator to 1st floor which houses reception, a sitting area, a small dining area (breakfast) and sliding glass doors leading to a small plunge pool and sun chairs.

Our room was large, comfortable with a lovely balcony overlooking the street with views of the Ocean in the near distance. The only issue I had with the room was the shower and more precisely the positioning of the shower screen. The way it was designed was bizarre and meant it was impossible to have a shower without soaking the bathroom floor. Other than that, I have no complaints about the accommodation. Breakfast each morning was very nice and the staff at the hotel were welcoming, helpful and friendly.

The only overall small negative was that if you chose to take the stairs rather than the elevator you were always met and faced with climbing over bags of laundry and extension cables. I assume the hotel management presume everyone will use the elevator and thus feel guests will not be privy to the untidiness of the back stairs area. It wasn’t a big deal but just something I haven’t encountered before.

All in all, the hotel was excellent value for money at the rate we paid and more than met our requirements for a short stay. We plan to come back to Camps Bay during mid to high season one year to see it in its full glory and enjoy the beach. When that time comes I would certainly consider returning to the Primi Royal

1 Thank roeboy
Hi 'Roeboy'

Thank you for a great review of your trip! You do write very informative & real reviews of everywhere you travel to, for which I applaud you for! Good to hear you had a good time in SA and more importantly that your experience of SA was one to remember.

And so to the shower. I know the shower over bath is not ideal, but I think a simple maneuvering of the shower head (albeit stiff) may have sorted your problem? :-))) We are upgrading that specific bathroom by the way. Cant wait!

And sincere apologies for the stairs too. And yes I'm sure its been a small irritation factor for other guests too. But as you may remember we had signs everywhere regarding the many repairs & renovations happening in the hotel? eg. New laundry room, storeroom & dry goods store. This unfortunately impacted on our rear service stairs because of the cramped area for the workmen to work in. We had no choice but to have the daily dirty laundry being sorted on the floor of the 3 meter long rear stair passageway immediately outside the old laundry room. This is not always the case I can assure you! And it'll be pure bliss when the renovations are all done - so you can have the stairs all to yourself again. :-)))

LOVE that you're prepared to come back in the near future!
Looking forward to when I can give you a personally guided tour to show you the improvements! And re a previous article you wrote about another glorious location....I promise I wont charge you for the tour! haha xx

Best regards until then!
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM ;-)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were welcomed by Liberty on arrival and shown to our wonderful rooms. What a view! We were lulled to sleep at night by the waves crashing on the shore and woke to wonderful views of the sea and the mountains. The beds were very comfortable and exceptionally clean. Liberty organised trips, taxis and supplied us with all the information we needed. All of the staff were amazing and the customer service was faultless. Breakfast was fantastic (I'm sure we put on weight eating all their wonderful food) and nothing was too much trouble. We really couldn't fault the Primi Royal and would definately return there. Now we just have to save up again so we can come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Well hello to PittyPat in Melbourne Australia!!
We don't get enough of your countrymen! Ozzies are always such 'good-feel-happy-people'!.
It was pure pleasure having you and thank you so much for the really excellent review.
We absolutely love it when our guest are appreciative of what we have to offer.
Now save up quick & get on back here!
Best regards till then