“Top top location but run down”
Review of Primi Royal

Primi Royal
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our second stay at this small boutique hotel. Camps Bay is just an incredible place. Having been to the Cape more than a hundred times (yes!), we prefer this short but vibrant stretch. Hotels and guesthouses are generally expensive. Primi Royal comes relatively affordable. However, compared to our first stay there just a few years ago, the place has several clear signs of being run down. We probably had the best room, but the ocean view was completely spoiled by bad weather. If you can live with these shortcomings, then the place is great: Visit super good restaurants within 5-10 minutes walk - and its relatively secure.
A complaint: When we left somebody had parked a car behind ours (in the garage). He was somehow attached to the place, and he was quite rude towards us, because we compalined about his parking (there were other free places)

Room Tip: No. 9 or 10 have direct ocean view (weather permitting)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Hello there!
Oh dear.. run down? You make it sound like we're a rundown fleabag joint.
But I know you didn't mean it to sound so bad - so you're forgiven!
Yes granted - there are a few little wrinkles that need some botox :-).
Working on that as we speak...

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for a week and had a great stay. The hotel has a great location just two minutes from Camps Bay beach. The hotel itself is very nice, the room was very nicely decorated and much larger than expected. The pool is only small but was very pleasant to cool off in after sunbathing on the deck.
While this is only a small hotel you definitely get a 5* service from the staff. They were always smiling and no request was too much trouble.
I would definitely recommend the Primi and hope to stay again soon.

Hi David
Wow! Thank you for your kind description of our little hotel !
At best we always hope to be 'Fantastic' in everyone's experience!
Please DO come again soon! We'd love to have you.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

So many hotels to select - but I'm glad we selected Primi Royal.
Staff were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast was good - I enjoyed our full "English".
Rooms and most importantly beds comfortable.
As reported before handy for restaurants and the beach.
One word of warning it can get very windy in camps bay.
An enjoyable start to our South African trip and we would love to return.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique.

Hi there!
Very happy that you chose us & that you enjoyed your stay!
Thank you for your kind words about the staff.
Yes, the high winds takes us all by surprise at times.
But then that's all part of the thrill of adventure isn't it?
Best regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have been in January 2013 in Primi Royal hotel in Camps bay. It is an wonderfull location, with many restaurants nearby. the staff was very friendly, breakfast was served and fresh. The mattress in our bed was fantastic, we slept very well. Nice view from the rooms. I can recommand this hotel for everybody.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Antomima
Thank you for your kind review. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to do so.
And we're thrilled that you love our ExtraSpecial ExtraWide ExtraLong mattresses!!
We have so many people commenting on that, I think we should 'test drive' the beds ourselves :-)
Please do come again?
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM :-)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We really enjoyed our four nights at Primi Royal boutique hotel, Camps Bay and highly recommend it to you fellow Trip-types.

Our large top floor room enjoyed a stunning view out to sea, a bath, shower and outside juccuzi too.

Excellent staff, a good breakfast - who could want more!

Well, one thing: the wi fi was almost non-existent in our room and we had to sit out on the landing to get any signal.

Otherwise, top notch in its class.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms: they are all a bit different. We stayed on the top floor which enjoyed a great...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear kind Sir
We're so happy you found us!
Happy you loved our staff & breakfasts! Happy you loved your room & view!
Not happy our WiFi let you down. For some reason it does give problems in high wind.
And as you may recall we had some pretty dangerous wind happening.
Hope you would consider sharing any of your photographs with us? (.. being a pro & all '-)
Thanks in great anticipation! email:info@primi-royal.com
Best regards
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM ;-)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great location in Camps Bay at a far more reasonable price than many of the hotels just a block away (with better views and a much more intimate environment).

Standard room was fine, nice view. Staff incredible!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Travlinheel :-) (there must be a song about that... '-D )
Thank you for your review.
Most importantly thank you for complimenting the staff.
MUCH appreciated by all.
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM :-)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

UPDATE: As I appreciate Primi offering an apology, I do not accept feeling like Primi is making me, the guest, feel like I am at fault for what happened to us and how we were treated. Again, I repeat, the response by Primi shows the low level of customer service, in which, the management would rather “blame” and find fault with the guest’s complaints, rather than just act to resolve the issue and give an apology. Lastly, to call our issues and discomforts at your hotel as a “comedy of errors” is not only hurtful, but further shows the level of professionalism that your establishment exudes. Sure, one may stay at Primi and have a wonderful experience, but heaven forbid you have a problem, because your complaints will only be jeered at online. I will still consider altering/removing my review, if Primi comes back with a more professional response.

My previous review:
My husband and I were on our honeymoon and Primi Royal was where we were spending our last 2 nights of our excellent 2-week trip. First, we got there and thought that the hotel had a very good location. We walked in and thought that the boutique style hotel and lobby looked really good and was excited for our stay, especially after we read positive reviews about it online; however, our positive attitude soon ended. We were brought to our room, only to find the air conditioning unit had leaked water all over our bed, leaving the one side of the bed wet half way down the mattress. We were in an upgraded room and told we would have to switch rooms for the night while they cleaned up our room, only to find out that we would have to stay in a standard room even though we paid for the upgrade. The next day, back in our upgraded room, turned on the air conditioning, and it started to leak on the bed again after 20-minutes of being on! We didn't notice in time, so the bed got wet at the top of the bed again! We called the front desk and he was going to call the manager and move us to a different room again. However, there were no rooms available for us to move to, and the manager had told the front desk to move the bed away from the wall and throw some towels down on the floor to soak up the leaking water all night, then we could talk to them in the morning about getting a refund for our troubles. So, the front desk guy then flipped the mattress and changed the sheets for us. The problem was that when he and my husband (yes, my husband had to help clean up) flipped over the mattress, it was still soaked from the day before! So, they flipped the mattress back over to the less-wet side and put the wet part down by my husband's feet. After that was all said and done, my husband spent the night sleeping with his feet on a wet mattress, and I spent the night congested (I am allergic to mold and mildew) and not able to sleep also b/c of the constant dripping sound coming from the air conditioner. I tried to open the window instead of running the air conditioner, however, Cape Town was experiencing intense winds during our trip, so this was not feasible to have the window open without blowing everything over in our room. After our terrible night, we spoke with the front desk, only to find out that we would not be getting a refund, nor an extra night, since the room was booked under our travel agent and not under our own account. However, they would comp our dinner and wine that we had, which came out to R200?! This is hardly enough compensation for the troubles we had!
This was a sour way for us to end our honeymoon and a sad, negative note to end our trip to South Africa. We stayed at such wonderful places while we were on our trip, some were much more basic than Primi Royal; however, those places not only had excellent accommodations, but also wonderful customer service, but NOT Primi Royal, NOT this place! Will definitely not stay here again or recommend this place to anyone we know.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AandD T
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi Royal, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Ana

This is your 3rd correspondence / update via this forum regarding this issue.

I have previously acknowledged that we were at fault by:
a) having a leaking AC which dripped onto your bed
b) having an inexperienced night shift person on duty
c) not being able to book you into a better room or hotel due to everyone being full in peak season

We have acknowledged the complaint that you had.
We have apologised UNRESERVEDLY.
We have given your tour operator a FULL REFUND.
You in turn have been refunded in full.

I am really sorry, but I personally feel you have taken this entire incident way too seriously and are reading things into my initial responses that were not there and were never intended to be there. In my responses to you I have attempted to be fair to both parties, truthful and professional, but have clearly failed your expectations.

I did however dispute your accusingly pointed statement that your allergy to mould & mildew had anything to do with our leaking air-conditioner. I clearly stated that perhaps you (as many others - including myself) suffer severe nasal congestion when a very cold AC is running in a room, particularly at night. We do not have mould or mildew in that room as you intimated and I stand by that statement.

My saying that your account sounded like 'a comedy of errors' was never intended to offend or hurt you. To me your account of the circumstances sounded exactly like that - a comedy of errors. I am sorry that you cannot find the humour in the situation and if you have taken offense at my attempt at lightheartedness, then I apologise. FYI -Per Wiki or any number of other sources: A comedy of errors is a dramatic work that is light and often humorous or satirical in tone and that usually contains a happy resolution of the thematic conflict.

This isolated incidence of not being able to help a guest with the perfect solution to an unfortunate and unexpected problem, is clear proof that no matter what one does to rectify or apologise for an issue; one cannot please all of the people all of the time. We tried our best for you and clearly failed. There is nothing more I can do except hope & trust that you accept our numerous attempts at apology and can put this behind you and have wonderful, problem free holidays for the rest of your days.

This correspondence is now closed.

Kindest Regards
Primi Royal Hotel General Manager

******
NOTE: Most importantly for any and all guests to note is that when you do a booking at any hotel through a travel agent or tour operator - You pay the Agency/Operator and the hotel is booked & paid for BY the agency / tour operator - not the guest. So any changes to itinerary, complaints or refund requests must be reported to the hotel, but officially done VIA and BY the Agent / Operator - NOT the hotel. The Operator & Hotel liaise asap & come to a conclusion best suited to the guest. So although we feel mortified when things do go wrong; obligated & honour bound to correct the situation & to help the guest, we are strictly NOT authorised to make any claims, promises and/or changes without the Express Permission of the Agent / Tour Operator. The Operators pay us (the hotel) and effectively the Agent/Operator is our customer - not the guest. So please guests - try not to be too angry with the hotel establishment when they say they cannot help and you need to refer to your Tour Operator.