“Gorgeous oasis in a stunning city”

The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Big Island, Hawaii
“Gorgeous oasis in a stunning city”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I was torn between Cape Grace and the Twelve Apostles for our 5-night stay in Cape Town. I was concerned by some negative reviews of the TA, particularly the location of the hotel on the road, but my agent had recently been there, and she loved it, so we decided to give it a try. I'm very glad we did so! We really enjoyed the fact that it was out of town but still only a 5-10 minute ride away to all the restaurants, shops, and activities of bustling Cape Town. It was like an oasis.

This is a gorgeous property. The all-white building straddles the sea and the wildflower-strewn foothills of the Twelve Apostles and Table Mountains with Lion's Head in the distance. Outdoor spa rooms are thatched huts with all glass walls that are scattered up the slopes. The welcoming staff were friendly and professional and immensely helpful. Our room was impeccable. Seaside luxe, decorated in whites and blues. Very roomy with a great bed. From the lovely balcony, our room had a great view of the sea, the Twelve Apostles mountain range, and the bluest sky I think I have ever seen.

One morning I walked on the trails around the hotel. Walking on those mountain paths filled with flowers, looking out at the sea, Camps Bay, and Table mountain was extraordinary. Our other favorite spot was the Leopard Bar. Decorated with gorgeous paintings and drawings of leopards, with comfortable couches, a lovely bar, and excellent service, it was a great place to hang out after a day of exploring. One night we were too tired to go out, so we stayed in and dined at the hotel restaurant, Azur. We had heard negative things about it, but our food was excellent. The menu included durban curries, and traditional Cape Malay cuisine. No, it didn't measure up to some of the other restaurants we visited, including Opal Lounge (my favorite) and La Colombe, but it was a nice change and perfectly fine.

If you visit the spa, definitely get an outdoor treatment room/hut. The downstairs spa and treatment rooms are rather dark and unappeaing. I had a pedicure that was conducted lying down and was very uncomfortable, and the treatment provider was not friendly. But my husband had an excellent massage at the outside huts, although he said it was rather warm.

For weeks prior to our arrival, I had worked with the concierge in email to make dinner reservations for each night at various restaurants around town. They had our confirmation for each dinner waiting upon our arrival, and thereafter a car was provided each night, without prompting, to take us to our destination. They posted our mail, provided us without asking with snacks when we had to take a very early transport one morning to go white shark diving in Gaansbai, and when they learned it was my birthday, again without asking, they brought to our room a delicious chocolate and raspberry cake.

We did stop in at the Cape Grace one day after our trip to Robben Island. It's a lovely hotel, but the location didn't appeal to me at all. The V&A waterfront is great for a one day trip, but I wouldn't want to stay down there. Granted, the Twelve Apostles is not on the water, although the hotel is perfectly situated so that most of the views make it appear so, and there is a busy road in front of it, but it's hardly noticeable. I would definitely stay again. Cape Town is an extraordinary city and the surrounding area stunning.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SheaG
bdadvisor, Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you very much for a delightful and informative review of your experience with us. We are obviously delighted you choose to stay with us and that your expectations were exceeded.

Thank you again and we would be delighted to see you return to The Twelve Apostles in the future.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Polish first
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My husband and I visited South Africa in March and had the trip of lifetime. We started the trip at Twelve Apostles for 5 nights, then off to Stellanbosch then closed off the trip with a Safari. 12 Apostles is absolutely perfect, picturesque and amazing hotel. The rooms were clean, the pools were refreshing. We would leave to town at night for dinner but then hitch a quick cab ride back at the end of the night. The spa was-awesome. Hands down one of the best spa experiences I have ever had--and I know how to spa! My husband and I want to go back for second honeymoon sometime soon. I miss this place so much! Just the backdrop of the twelve apostle mountain range makes the whole experience surreal/wonderful. Highly, HIGHLY recommend.

singapore
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed here the day after watching a World Cup match in Cape Town. I can vouch for the other excellent reviews that this resort has received. The only disappointment was that the busy coastal road lies between the resort and the shore. It is also cut off from the rest of Camps Bay town, which is a disadvantage if you like to walk around outside the resort. Other than that, I must say we were just bowled over by the attention to detail and the warm and unpretentious service. Let me give you one example. We were wondering whether to watch the Germany-Argentina match in our own room or in one of the resort's public areas. A few hours before the match, we asked a waiter in the bar, and he suggested that we could go to the Conservatory, which had a large screen TV. Back in our room later, half an hour before kick-off, we received a phonecall from the waiter, informing us that the Conservatory had been booked for a function. He apologised for giving us the wrong information, and he didn't want us to go there and be disappointed. It didn't make a difference to us because we had decided to stay in our room anyway, but I was astounded by his sense of responsibility and service. This was representative of short stay at Twelve Apostles.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
bdadvisor, Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing the Twelve Apostles Hotel and for sharing the experience of your stay.

We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and that our actions positively impacted on your experience. We are extremely proud of all our team as their efforts to go above and beyond are vital to ensure all our guests leave with happy memories of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not to distant future.

South Africa
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Twelve Apostles for two nights during the soccer world cup in June 2010. From the moment we checked in, we felt welcome.
Rooms:
The reservations manager kindly upgraded us to a larger sea facing room at no additional charge. (When I made the booking only the smaller sea facing rooms were available. When we checked in some larger rooms had become available. I asked to move. The hotel waived the extra charge.)
Patience, who assisted us with check-in, took the time to show us various rooms so we could choose the one that was just right.
We eventually chose the sea facing room that adjoins the Presidential Suite. Sea views from the room and bathtub. The room is beautiful and the view is amazing. This particular room is very close to the road so it might be a tad noisy for some when traffic levels are higher. Nevertheless, we happily accepted the noise because of the view and the ambience of this particular room.
The rooms are very comfortable. All the rooms we saw (and we viewed many) were decorated beautifully and individually. Each room has a unique feel.
The hotel is lovely. Elegant but cozy.
Food:
Dinner was good. I regret not trying the al la Carte menu. Breakfast was awesome.
Other:
The hotel executed every request I had made beforehand perfectly; from arranging a birthday cake to a fantastic picnic in the nature reserve.
Location:
The hotel's location is good. It's not too far from the action, but it's also not slap bang in the middle of it. The views are outstanding.

Spa:
The only part of the stay that my husband and I both found disappointing was the spa. The reason: We had great expectations. As with most popular spas, it seems to be verging on tired and lacks that personal touch. The treatment rooms in the main spa are tiny and windowless. However, you can book an outdoor Gazebo, which I had done for my husband.
We both felt our treatments were rushed and lacked the finesse you'd expect from a supposed top notch spa.
Conclusion:
I will definitely return to the 12 Apostles when I next visit Cape Town on business or pleasure. If I chose to return to the spa, I would book the Gazebo and insist on better treatment at the spa.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for staying with us at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and for writing a review of your experience with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will ensure the staff members who have impacted on your experience are made aware of your comments and recognised for this.

Thank you also for your comments about our Spa. This is much appreciated as it is through feedback from our guests that we can address inconsistencies and make enhancements where necessary. We have since spoken with the Spa Manager and she will address the items you raise immediately.

We hope you will have opportunity to return to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Worcester, South Africa
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We got engaged on the 13th of May and went to azure restaurant at the twelve apostles. What a wonderful experience. Firstly we went to have a drink in the bar and they even brought us some snacks( now where in the world do you get something for free these days) Then we went to the restaurant and what a meal we had and the best was the “volcano” that they did on the table it was so, so nice. Then we went to the movie theatre and watch a movie and again got popcorn, magnum ice-cream and hot chocolate or milkshake and again for FREE. They even bought us a plate to say congratulations on our engagement. We would definitely go back there and highly recommend it to other couples. Maybe next time we will stay there. Thank you for making our engagement something to remember.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Port St Lucie
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a few nights back in Jan 2010. It was our first time at this location but not at a Small Hotel Property. We were upgraded upon checkin thanks to our AMEX card and always received personalized and professional service. One day after returning from the pool I noticed that my wallet was missing. I turned the room inside out and finally called the front desk in a rage. I went down to see them and they calmly turned over my wallet, icluding all of the cash I had left in it, and a note from the cleaning staff with a receipt for everything inside the wallet. I was stunned. I have never seen a hotel go through this before and immediately found the cleaning staff members to thank them. It was a great stay at a great hotel in a great location. We will return with our family.
Thank you again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for staying at The Twelve Apostles and for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. We were delighted to read the contents of your review and actions the staff members involved took.

We hope you will find opportunity to return to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We absolutely loved our stay here. It is a stunning hotel. It's important to realize that it is in the Small Leading Hotel Group, and so the reception and other areas are small as compared to what you'd encounter in a large chain. Once you realize that, you understand the experience they are offering. We had so many special moments. Up in the Cheetah Bar with their staff beaming as Jeremy (keep him playing his 2 nights forever!) singing "Daughters" to mine on the occasion of her 16th, our reception by Candace with a huge smile and tour despite the hour, sunset by the pool, evening in the hot tub, fabulous meal at Azure....
Finally, I cannot say enough about the level of service at this hotel. The best way to sum it up, aside from mentioning that at every turn everyone knew our names and anticipated our needs, is to recount that at breakfast, when my daughter mentioned her sandal sole was loose, Michelle and her team brought her a pair of house slippers, took the shoe away and had it glued and back on her foot before breakfast was over. If that wouldn't make you feel like a princess (and her family) at the castle, what would:)?

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
bdadvisor, Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for staying with us at The Twelve Apostles hotel but also for taking the time to share your experiences with other travellers.

It is especially rewarding to read how our staff have contributed, each in their own unique way to enhance your time with us. We have shared your experience with others in the hotel to encourage them to go above and beyond the call of duty.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope you will find opportunity to return to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camps Bay
#7 of 106 in Cape Town Central
One&Only Cape Town
One&Only Cape Town
#14 of 106 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!