“THE PLACE TO STAY IN CAPE TOWN”

The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Edmonton, Canada
“THE PLACE TO STAY IN CAPE TOWN”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Scratch one from the bucket list, my wife and I have been watching the travel deals relating to a trip to South Africa which included a Safari to one of the big game reserves. Lion tours offered what were looking for and it was booked in no time (12 to 28 Oct 2012), as we had to fly out of New York we added that to the trip and added two days at the front and three at the back of the trip. For those who have not been to New York well you are in for an experience. We stayed at the Candlewood hotel in New york which is approx. two blocks from Times Square, the hotel itself is clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. It is amazing the number of people they can fit into a city especially around the Time square area and it is a must see. I did find that when it came to eating in the area it was somewhat expensive so look around and move away from the Times square area a couple of blocks and you will find more reasonable and good tasting food. Getting around from the airports as there are two put away around $240 for the trips they are flat rates, from JFK to the hotel was $65 from the other was $45 each way. See the sights while
there some are free, some cost and some need reservations to see so check it out before hand Now for the trip to South Africa, it is a bottom numbing 15 hrs in the air and then another 2 hours to Cape Town. We flew with SA airlines, the planes are modern, clean, the staff helpful and the food served was tasty and more than enough. On arrival at we tranfered to the flight to Cape Town and were in the air approx. two hours later arriving in Cape Town where we were met by the reps for lion tours and taken to The Twelve Apostles Hotel. For those that have been here, need I say more. My wife and I have traveled to many travel destinations around the world and have stayed at many hotels put forward as a 5 star hotel but I can say with all honesty that this is a true 5 star. From the moment you enter the lobby until you leave the staff tries it hardest to make your stay the best you have ever had. From the meals ( some of the best I have ever had) to the rooms and to the staff it is all first class. If they can make it happened they will try their best to make it so. Because we were on a tour we were given a nice room at the rear of the hotel but after traveling so far and this being maybe the only time I was to be in South Africa we asked to be upgraded to a suite. I would recommend this and with a little compromise we came to a added fee that was acceptable to both. The suite we stayed in was #201 which had a green space in the front of the room along with one of the best sea views I seen in a while. The bathroom itself was very large and along with the nice lower sitting room made the stay even better. The only warning I can give relating to the hotel is watch the stairs in the hot tub in the spa, the first two steps are okay but the thrid drops approx. 4 feet without warning, they shoud have a sign warning of this. While in Cape Town see the sights, the harbour area has a great eating and shopping area, one of the shops to check on is Jewellery Art by Simon SHONE, his three dimensional art is amazing enough that we bought a piece from him. Other sights to see is Table Mountain if you see it clear when looking at it get up there right away as the ocean breezes blow in the clouds all the time.Unfortunatly after a four night stay we had to leave this fine hotel to continue on our trip but it was with regrets that we did so as I stated earlier if you are in Cape Town this is the place to stay, this hotel is part of the Red Carnation Hotel group. The next part of our trip took us back to Joburg and then onto a 12 seater aircraft to the Madikwe Safari Lodge which is a approx. 45 min flight. The hotel itself sits at the bottom of a large (if you are from western Canada its a large hill from elsewhere it may be a mountain). The lodge itself is impressive with a number of private cabins trailing off in several directions, the cabins are private and have a dipping pool, outdoor shower if you want, and a sitting area. If you want to do the nudie thing go for it as you have the cabin and outside area to yourself . Everything is included at the lodge so sample the differernt meals that are offered and are excellent, I would avoid the salads as I had one and paid dearly for it next day so you have been warned. Remember where you are and that is a wildlife reserve, security will walk you to your cabins at night just in case and do not wander at night. When going out on the deck make sure you have it to yourself and not some of the wild life as experienced by some on an earlier Safari who has lions drinking from their dipping pool. We were there just as they were coming into their summer so bugs were at a minimun but gents be the hero check the rooms everynight for the large spiders and milipeds that seem to wander in at night. As for the Safari you are out very early in the morning and late at night lots of wild life to see and take pictures of and not from a distance either very close encounters. The guides are knowledgeable and very commited to the safety of you and that of the animals. You have in your travels in the game reserve while you are out morning brunches, afternoon teas and late night snacks and drinks. It was exceptional and I would recommend this to anyone who is considering a trip here. Just a couple of notes, shame on both the South African Goverment and the Chinese Goverment for not putting the stop to the trade of RHINO Horn,while we were in South Africa a newpaper article printed a story on how so far this year 479 Rhinos had been slaughtered for their horns, they state 479 but it is much higher. 2nd Beware the VAT (valued added Tax) they say that you can claim it when you leave the country but they don`t mention the service charge for claiming it, I had 204 Rand to claim, they charged me 21 Rand to claim it and a further 40 Rand to cash the cheque they issued. Further don`t pack the stuff you bought deep in your suitcases they want to see what you bought a reciept is not good enough.CWP7721

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CWP7721
Horst F, General Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

We are delighted to receive a review from you indicating the enjoyable time you had at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa.

At our beautiful hotel guests enjoy the best of both worlds…the tranquility and pristine natural beauty surrounding the hotel, with Table Mountain National Park and the Atlantic Ocean Marine Reserve as backdrop, yet only 15 minutes away from the hustle and bustle of all the city attractions and the V&A Waterfront.

The team at The Twelve Apostles is thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and would like to invite you to also experience our other properties Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box, which form part of the wider Red Carnation Family.

Many thanks for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards

Horst W. Frehse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Polish first
Pretoria
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My fiancee and I got engaged at the Twelve Apostles a little while ago. From the moment we arrived, it was a 5-star experience all round. Not only is it a beautiful hotel, the view from our room was breathtaking. In addition to the amazing scenery, the service we received was outstanding and the food from any of the restaurants in the hotel was flawless. Overall, an unforgettable place and a very special experience.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are definitely worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Horst F, General Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Congratulations on your recent engagement! We are delighted to receive a review from you indicating the enjoyable time you had at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa and feel very privileged to be a part of your special memories.

Please note that the same level of care is taken to ensure a similar memorable experience at our other properties Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box which form part of the wider Red Carnation Family.

The team at The Twelve Apostles looks forward to your next visit.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I dont have enough adjectives to describe just how amazingly magical our wedding day was - we couldnt have chosen a better venue. The Twelve Apostles Hotel is definitely the number 1 wedding venue in Cape Town. They took such good care of us. The food was divine and such a wonderful variety of it. The service was exceptional - Stephanie, Willem, Pumla & JP are great and always 'at the right place, at the right time'. The views from the Fynbos garden, where our wedding ceremony took place, couldnt have been more picture perfect. The seaview suite was spacious, with stunning views of the ocean. You have to experience the true magic yourself...

Room Tip: Seaview room is a winner. To wake up and see the ocean from your bed - it couldnt get any better!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AMAdvisor, Rooms Division Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Congratulations once again on your recent marriage! We trust that your day was filled with happy memories of the past and bright hopes for the future.

Thank you for choosing to spend this very special occasion with us at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa. We are delighted that we have been able to be part of your very special memories.

I am overjoyed that our staff took such good care of you whilst here and that Stephanie, Willem, Pumla and JP had a positive impact on your time with us. They all epitomize the service values and ethics we strive to uphold at the hotel. I will ensure that your comments are shared with them and the rest of the team.

Please note that the same level of care is taken to ensure a similar memorable experience at our other properties, Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box .

The team at The Twelve Apostles looks forward to your next visit.

Warm Regards,

Abraham Mouton
Rooms Division Manager
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this lovely hotel after a three week trip through South Africa as I wanted to end on a high note - and the hotel fulfilled all expectations. Starting with a sparkling wine as welcome drink followed by attentive and personalized service in the Bar and the restaurant yet not ending in the attractively styled Spa with Dermalogica products.

I can highly recommend this hotel and once my travels guide me back to Capetown I will most definitely stay at the 12 Apostles again...

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KD-BKK
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa as your destination of choice, and sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers.

Warm regards

Port Angeles
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed with a couple of family members and friends at the Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa for 5 nights and had a wonderful stay. Our tour package offered the option of the 12 Apostles or a hotel at the Waterfront and we are glad that we chose the 12 Apostles. The view and location were great. We saw whales out in front of the hotel several times. We had rooms near the back of the hotel and it was very quiet. We did not even really notice that there was a road in front of the hotel. We took advantage of the free shuttle to the Waterfront so we were able to spend one day at the shops and walk around the Waterfront.

The weather was quite cloudy and cool so we did not use the outdoor pools, but we did hike the trails in the back of the hotel. We had great bird watching and amazing views. The sunsets from the front deck of the hotel were awesome. Several nights we had our meals in the Leopard Bar as we were able to reserve seats for the 6 of us near the front window. The food was really good (except for the apple dessert - not very good) and the woman singing and playing the piano was great. The breakfasts were also really good - especially the Danish Pastries!

We had reservations for the 6 of us at the Spa and enjoyed our spa treatments. We were also provided with free use of the steam room, hot and cold pools and floating pool. The free water and snacks in the spa were also really appreciated. The muffins were very good.

The staff were very gracious and accomodating. I would recommend staying at the 12 Apostles Hotel and Spa and plan to return the next time I travel to Cape Town.

Room Tip: Our rooms near the back of the hotel were very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Twins_R_2X_Fun
Horst F, General Manager at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We have received your review on your recent stay at The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa and are naturally delighted that you had such a splendid time. We trust that you will visit us many times still in the future.

Also remember that there are other properties in the Red Carnation Family, these are Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa. We look forward to your next visit.

Phila, Pa
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed in October 2012. I will remember for a lifetime. Property is stunning-most beautiful. Oceanfront rooms were truly unbelievable. They truly define LUXURY in every way. Azure restaurant is world class- food was to die for. And reasonable! I ate there for 4 days straight. The waitstaff was special: J.P. was a world class waiter! The most stunning aspect of this place is the entire staff. These folks KNOW luxury and accomodation. EVERYBODY was just so nice, friendly, professional in every way.
I was blown away-I have been all over the world and NEVER experienced anything like this place. If I could I would offer folks a money back guarantee based on my experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

I am overjoyed that our team took good care of you whilst here and that JP, Azure Restaurant waiter, had a positive impact on your stay with us. JP epitomises the service values and ethics we strive to uphold and I will make sure that this is shared with him at our next employee appreciation party.

Similar care is taken at our sister properties, Bushman’s Kloof and The Oyster Box, which form part of the wider Red Carnation Family – therefore, please consider including these in your traveling itinerary in the future.

Thank you again for staying with us, we look forward to your next visit.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Oh my word, this is the most stunning hotel I've ever had the privilege of staying at. When we arrived we were given freshly made iced tea while we were checking in. We had the option of switching from a garden view room to a sea view room. This was the best decision we could have possibly made! The room was beautifully furnished and the patio was our favourite place to spend the late afternoon as you can watch the most breathtaking sunsets ever. The food is fantastic and the restaurant has such a relaxed atmosphere. They offer a shuttle service that takes you to the Waterfront and back. The lady running this was very pleasant and was full of suggestions of things to do and places to see. (this was my first trip to Cape Town) The second night we stayed in and watched a dvd from their selection and had a high tea tray sent up. Yet again the food was fantastic. The spa is just as great and we had a ball with their couples mud treatment. This is one of the few places I will visit again and again.

Room Tip: If possible ask for the last room on the right with a sea view, you will have a wonderful view of th...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Twelve Apostles. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camps Bay
#13 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Cape Grace
Cape Grace
#6 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!