“Perfect location and lovely hotel”
Review of The Bay Hotel

The Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at The Bay for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We asked the hotel to make a booking for us at a local restaurant, and without us knowing they informed the restaurant of our anniversary which was a lovely touch. The hotel offers a transfer service with their hotel cars including a Porsche Panamera, which we elected to make use of. The chauffeur, Amin, was great and the trip was a real treat. Upon our return to the hotel we received a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and dessert. The breakfast buffet is absolutely delicious and staff very attentive. We enjoyed every bit of our stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view and make sure there are no palm trees infront of your balcony to bloc...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear ADT1234. The Bay Hotel team would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. It is a real pleasure to hear that you enjoyed spending your wedding anniversary in Camps Bay and trust that we shall again have the privilege of hosting you at our hotel in the future. Warm regards.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Having stayed at the Bay for my 6th time, I was left wondering what has changed at the hotel. The views are incredible, the rooms are still stunning (although a new shower would be good as it still only chest high) and some of the staff are still there from years gone by. I guess it is all in the detail and the service is just not what it used to be at the hotel. I understand some of the mgt has changed and this may have had an effect because this is what changes the experience from good to great. I would still recommend staying at the hotel as it is still a hotel in one of the best locations anywhere in the world and a special experience for that alone. I hope by my next visit that the levels of personal service you want from a boutique hotel will be back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get a room with a view of the sea (premier sea view rooms).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas D
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Nicholas D. Many thanks for your input which we accept as being constructive. Please be assured that we have every intention of maintaining high a standard of service, and trust that despite recent experience, we shall again have the privilege of hosting you at The Bay Hotel in the future. Warm regards.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

After a long flight from the uk it is a perfect place to come and unwind stayed 5 days, location right on the beach front, service from all staff, food, wines well stocked bar, breakfasts, rooms well laid out with superb view with the sound of the waves in the distance [was March] all superlative. Cannot fault.

1  Thank twoseasWirralUK
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear twoseasWirralUK. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Warm regards.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just spent 5 nights at the Bay hotel and had a great time. Super breakfast with a great view of the ocean, a fantastic way to start the day. The staff are all very friendly and always ready to help. Traders is a great place to relax and have a cigar after a long day. Easy access (right across the street) from the hop on bus stop which takes you around Cape Town which was very convenient. Defiantly recommend you stay there, I will be back.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Horacio B
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Horacio B. Many thanks for wonderful review after your recent visit to the hotel. We are thrilled to note that your stay with us was enjoyable and satisfactory in all aspects, and look forward to having you as our guests again soon. Warm regards.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just spent 4 relaxing days in Camp's Bay, Cape Town at the Bay Hotel.........fantastic. Great location, excellent breakfasts but what makes the Bay exceptional is the staff.......all are professional and keen to please, nothing appears to much from the friendly greetings to the arranging for the collection of Rugby tickets at Newlands. Staying here has capped of a fantastic 8 days in Cape Town......and as an added bonus what a view when lounging by the pool. The area is a bit quiet in the evenings after 10/10.30 but that is most likely down to the time of year but suited us perfectly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janice C
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Janice C. Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and the rugby at Newlands, and hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon. Warm regards.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed in premium sea view room for a 10 day stay in March. We arrived and our room wasn't ready and we were given a complimentary coffee and asked to wait, our room was ready about an hour later.

Room lay out was a bit strange the wardrobes are next to one of the twin beds which meant only one person could use the wardrobes at any one time. The wardrobes had very hard to grip thin handles which made opening the doors difficult. The TV is quite a distance from the beds, it would have been much better placed directly in front of the beds. Bathroom seemed dated and shower didn't have a mixer tap which meant you have to twiddle with hot & cold dials separatly to set the shower at your desired temparature, which is fiddly. The decor of the room is fresh, modern and well maintained. Plenty of storage space. Well stocked mini bar. Comfortable beds. Could hear the music from the hotel bar at w/ends but my earplugs sorted that issue out.

The hotel is in an amazing location, directly across the busy road to the beach and close to many of the main attractions. First impressions, it's look great, a very cool & chic place to stay. The front desk staff are great, helpful and very friendly.

Breakfast - plenty of selection of cold & hot breakfasts, food was tasty and hot, however, I always found the eggs no matter which I had them cooked where never quite cooked properly but that was the only grumble I had with the food. The service was generally ok, occasionally it was on the slow side. But for me, I couldn't understand why we were greeted and seated at tables that had items missing, such as butter knives, coffee spoons, etc. this happened for the majority of our breakfasts, I can't understand why! There weren't many customers at breakfast throughout our stay, there was always plenty of staff in and out of the restaurant, so why wasn't the tables laid fully ready for clients is beyond me. It became annoyiny towards the end of our stay. We would just fetch the missing items from another table, as it is very tedious having to keep asking or waiting for missing items to arrive that should have been in place when we were seated at the table for breakfast. It's so simple to lay a table - surely! But not in this hotel I'm afraid.

The service staff in this hotel is what lets this hotel down. This hotel clearly rates itself as a five star hotel and in some ways it is but in other ways it is very clearly not. I had constant issues with the service staff cleaning & replenishing our room. They were constantly forgetting to replenish what they had taken from the room, i.e slippers, dressing gown, towels, no fresh milk delivered or milk delivered with no date on it, no replenishing brown sugar etc,etc. I had to ring and speak to hotel staff three times just to get hand towels delivered as the yet again when they cleaned the room they took the dirty towels and didn't replace them all. I was having to ring up or speak to the front desk nearly on a daily basis to begin with - it was tedious and frustrating! I came away to relax, not keep chasing missing items from the room. I came back after an evening out only to find my slippers had been taken and not been replaced, so annoying having to deal with unnecessary phone calls at 11pm at night because the person who cleans our room constantly forgets to replace items. The iron provided by the hotel, was definitely in need of replacing, it managed to fuse the room into darkness, we had to call the front desk to get the electricity put back on. I spoke to a few couples that were also on long stays and they too had been experiencing the same type of issues with the room replenishing/cleaning issues. So I was glad to hear that it wasn't just my friend and I that had to endure this tedious lack of attention to service, it so lets this hotel down, I would have enjoyed my stay a lot more if I hadn't had to experience this shoddy service throughout my stay.

The other major issue I have with this hotel is the cleaning of the pool, the currently cleaning programme is inadequate and the sides of the pools are dirty with scum and grim which is disgusting! They clean the pool daily with a creeper and other equipement but the cleaning seems mainly of the bottom of the pool and the sides underneath the water level but there isn't a sufficient cleaning programme in place to ensure the sides of the pool just above the water level are cleaned regularly. I spotted a terrible amount of scum and dirt around the edges of the main pool and was quite horrified at the sight of it as this clearly hadn't been cleaned for awhile. I pointed this out to a member of staff who thanked me for pointing this out and assured me that he was very grateful I'd done this and he would get this sorted out. Two days later I'm back in the pool looking at the same scum and grim that I had pointed out to management two days ago. I went into the front desk and asked to speak to a manager regarding the pool. A manager appeared, I explained to him that I had pointed out this cleanliness issue with the pool two days ago and it was still exactly the same. I showed the offending areas and I also pointed out that the needed to scrub the wooden area where the waterjets comes out as it was covered in black/green slimey substance, I ran my hand underneath this wooden area and a large lump of black slimey goo was in my hand - yuck! Later that evening whilst I was on my balcony I could see four management staff looking at the pool and areas that I had flagged, I was hopeful that finally they would address this issue. The pool was cleaned finally but I was shocked at the length of time and that it took two requests to get this disgusting issue sorted. I would have thought the hotel would have dealt with this a lot quicker.

At the end of my staff when I was checked out and homeless, I was paddling in the one of the smaller pools at the front of the hotel and was shocked to see that this pool also had a build up of scum and dirt on the sides just above the water level. Not as bad as the main pool was but this was nearly a week after I had reported the cleanliness issue with the main pool. They had clearly not learnt any lessons or taken on board that their current level of cleaning for the pools is not adequate and needs to be improved to maintain cleanliness and to ensure that no health issues occurr because of the poor cleaning. I was very disappointed to see dirt and scum once again visible around the edges of the pool, very off putting and so not five star!

I did enjoy my stay at The Bay hotel, despite the issues, it's a lovely hotel that with certain improvements in place this could be a great hotel, just needs some tweaking with service levels and cleaning and they will be much closer to a five star accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer. We appreciate your having taken the time to let us know how we are doing, and thank you for both your positive and constructive comments regarding the hotel. Clearly we were not performing to your complete satisfaction during your stay, and for this offer our sincerest apologies. Your experience is not what we aim to offer our guests, and have referred the issues to the relevant department heads for action. We trust that despite this we shall again have the privilege of welcoming to The Bay Hotel in the future. Warm regards.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellent located in Beach Front of Camps Bay, just a few minutes drive from CT V&A Waterfront.
Just cross the street to the beach, or stroll up and down the main street for nice bars, restaurants and shops.
Intimate and friendly hotel with lots of charm, great views and nice ambience.
Breakfast is excellent served as you like by the table.
To improve:
Lunch and dinner meals not top notch, but you have great alternatives just around the corner.
Pools to cold, Cape Town can be a very cold and windy place.
Traders Bar is often to small with no free seatings and it closes way too early...:-)

Room Tip: Beach front rooms with plunge pools just outside the rooms are nice...:-)
1  Thank ErikPinnaas
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear ErikPinnaas. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and also appreciate your constructive input - only if we are informed by our guests we are able to correct directions and impliment our service standards accordingly. We sincerely hope that you will be returning to The Bay Hotel and assure you of our best intentions. Warm regards.