“low key sophistication and top class service in fabulous location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bay Hotel

The Bay Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“low key sophistication and top class service in fabulous location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

My 14 year old son and I stayed here for 7 nights combining a tour of the Cape with supporting my elder sons school rugby tour.Our original plan was to spend the first few nights at the Bay and therafter take up one of the many excellent and at that time of year (winter) reasonably priced options in Cape Town , however , we became so settled and comfortable in the the relaxed and friendly ambience of this hotel that we stayed put! The road system around Cape Town of course makes this location a very convenient "interesection"between the city and the stunning coastal routes of the peninsula.

The staff are excellent and good humoured and dealt with our many requests and questions in a calm and professional manner. I had left my driving licence in the uk and was having a problem with the car hire companies.The hotel took the problem on board and all was quickly resolved (also thanks DVLA). We dined at the hotel a couple of times and the food was first class. Breakfast was quite special with the most stunning view of the ocean to complement the excellent food and service.

The overriding "feel" of this hote is relaxed , secure and sophisticated in style but nicely avoiding a sense of taking itself too seriously. One slight negative is the the rather drab ,grey uniform of the otherwise charming female receptionists-it needs to be more in keeping with the atmosphere of the hotel. Warm and stylish!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheBayHotel, Rooms Division Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Thank you very much for your positive feedback on the Bay Hotel, we are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and look forwsrd to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.
I have passed on your compliments to our team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Excellent winter special package. 1 night stay including breakfast and a massage. Fabulous opportunity for locals to enjoy this lovely hotel as it is far too expensive for us in the summer season. Beautiful suites, magnificent views over the bay and outstanding service. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for sea facing.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheBayHotel, Rooms Division Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Thank you for your complimentary review on The Bay Hotel, it is motivating for the Team to get such positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bay soon!!
Jersey, CI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel has stayed the same for as long as I can remember. The location is perfect in order to see that side of the mountain and the Waterfront is close by too. Being south African and now living abroad the price is not too bad but it is an expensive choice in comparison to the other just as nice hotels and BnB's I stay in but they are in different areas so I tend to only stay here 2 or 3 nights at the most and move on. No children under 16 too which is sometimes nice when relaxing by the pool! Great surrounding restaurants - would recommend Paranga.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Skabenga
Thank you for your positive review it is very much appreciated, we note your comment on the Hotel being a bit expensive, however out of season periods we have some great packages and competitive rates please enquire what we have available when making your next reservation.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

As per my e-mail - very very enjoyable - food great - service fantastic - location - inspiring.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheBayHotel, Rooms Division Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Nicholas2

We thank you for your positive feedback on The Bay Hotel, it was a pleasure having you stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Vereeniging, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I Made a telephone booking after a saw an advertisement that also indicated pricing in the local newspaper shortly after arriving at the airport from Johannesburg.
Reservations quoted me after I told them that I am a South African a 50% discount on the normal rate. On arrival at the hotel I was asked to pay in advance and offered my Platinum American Express card. I was charged the full price - It was our wedding anniversary and I did not wanted to confront them in front of my wife and thought I would sort it out before departure. When I had a free moment I phoned the same number anonymously again and I was offered a different special rate that was more or less half way in between the 50% and full price rate. I told them that I was quoted a cheaper rate the previous day and the transferred my call to the hotel that quoted me again another price about 10% more than the original quoted price after telling them i received a different quote the first time around. (That was also discounted price - according to them a 50% discount on the normal rate that was now different than the previous day)

I confronted the front desk and after a few phone calls they agreed to adhere the original quoted price and promised to pass me a credit on my card.

On departure the offered to credit my card for a much lesser amount that was agreed upon the previous day - and after some time we found the "right person again" that authorized the right credit on my card.

On the advertisement it also said that the guest will also receive a Spa or Restaurant voucher - that was never offered to us.

To me it was a really bad experience because they made me feel felt that it was all my fault - but I am in business too and believe in the basic principle like if I am wrong admit it and set things right.

The lesson - rather do your bookings on line (Then you will have time to enjoy your stay without having to run around sorting the account out) and if you need to phone in try a few times until you get the best price and take the persons name down

Room Tip: Phone a few times - they have different rates -
Dear Schalk B

We do offer travelers last minute booking rates as well as domestic rates in addition to our standard rates. Please accept our apologies if the reservationist did not make it clear what the difference is between these offers with regards to rate and room type.

We have also used this review to train staff on the importance of asking guests where they heard about a specific special offer. The newspaper advertisement did include a voucher, but was not noted on the system as the special was not requested upon booking.

Guests are welcome to use our secure online booking facility that features on our website, but we hope this review will not deter future travelers from using our reservations department for a personal booking service.

We welcome you and your partner back at The Bay Hotel and I will personally attend your booking.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Bay Hotel for five days in the beginning of July and we had a wonderful time. All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and the rooms were amazing. We were able to view the sunset from our room and you could even hear the ocean when you open the doors to your private patio. We also recommend having breakfast at The Bay since there are so many choices and the food is always fresh. The hotel is at a perfect location since you are at the beach and a short ride away to the V&A Waterfront. If you don't feel like going far for dinner, you can also choose from the many different restaurants that are within walking distance from The Bay. We can't wait for our next trip!!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank WM-USA
TheBayHotel, at The Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear WM - USA

On behalf of the Bay Team we would like to thank you for feedback, it is reviews such as yours that keep us all motivated and striving to give 100% everyday.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

From the room to the service to the view this is an outstanding hotel in an excellent position. Located right on the Camps Bay beachfront in gorgeous Cape Town, this hotel provided elegant luxury and a warm personal welcome - suprising for a large hotel. The Bay has good winter special rates but we were fortunate to have excellent bright sunny weather without wind, which is often Camps Bay's downfall. A special feature of the room was a spa/jacuzzi situated on a kind of wooden deck one step down from the bedroom level but within the room's precinct. Soaking up hot water sprinkled with bath crystals (provided) we could gaze at the beauty of the Twelve Apostle mountain range . Fluffy bathrobes and slippers are provided; the kingsize bed has soft oversize poillows; the bar fridge is well-stocked and fresh fruit is provided - just in case you're hungry after the large tasty breakfast buffet and the many restaurants in the area. Altogether a magnificent choice.

Room Tip: For us the cheaper mountain-facing rooms were a delight.
Dear Marion 070

Thank you very much for you fantastic review, it was great to hear that you made use of and enjoyed all the little luxuries we offer at The Bay Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to sunny Cape Town soon.

Regards