“Form over Function”

ZENZERO
Ranked #8 of 46 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Italian flavor and style laced in Camps Bay Cool, resplendent with a splash of Kove Collection abundance. This is Zenzero. Zenzero wraps you shamelessly in 'La Dolce Vita' whilst gently caressing with a cool Atlantic breeze. Italian cuisine is all about fresh ingredients and homemade, full flavour. At Zenzero we pride ourselves on just this, the freshest ingredients with zesty, spicy and feisty touches. Alongside Zenzero's signature dishes and spirited vibe, an abundant selection of seafood, pastas and homemade desserts will surprise and delight any palate, through-out the year.
New York City, New York
“Form over Function”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We landed on this place after surveying the strip of restaurants at Camps Bay and finding the menus to be underwhelming facsimiles of each other. This place had the largest crowd of patrons which made it seem like the best option of the drab restaurants on this strip. So where do I begin?

The decor and atmosphere are nice and the hostess was warm and pleasant, that's the extent of positive feedback I have for this place.

The Service

Our server Barnibus seemed like a nice fellow who could've possibly started the job hours before we dined. While he was pleasant and tried his best to check in and be attentive to our needs, he had no understanding of their menu and seemed confused while taking our order. I asked which dark rums they served and ultimately had to get up and scan through the offerings at the bar while our server fumbled over which rums they had, offering me Bacardi Silver. The menu clearly states "Caipirinha Choose any flavour!" yet he seemed confused when she asked him which flavors were actually offered.

The drinks

When I received my drink(rum and coke), it came arranged as I've noticed most drinks are here with the shot in the cup but the soda on the side, which I find to be a nice touch. The downside in this case here was that the soda can was warm enough for me to surmise its either kept near the oven or baking on the roof, the soda melted my ice, instantly making the soda flat and the drink less enjoyable. Flavored Caipirinhas typically arrive with crushed lime alongside crushed whichever fruit you choose, this drink was poorly concocted and was given flavor by syrup, which is not only disgusting but is pretty disappointing for an establishment like this to make such poor drinks. It's worth noting that even the bottled still water wasn't enjoyable. Hard feat to accomplish.

The Food

I ordered the Line Fish and she ordered the Chicken Supreme, both with mash as the side. The mash potatoes smelled bad and tasted like nothing which really makes me wonder why they smelled so poorly. We had to dump salt and pepper on the potatoes to make them edible. My fish followed suit in the taste like nothing parade. It was again surprising given all the grilled vegetables it was prepared with. It was absolutely devoid of flavor. She seemed to enjoy her chicken but also mentioned that it was probably a result of it being the best of the worst. All in all the meals seriously underwhelmed, and when the bill arrived it officially became dollar for dollar, the worst value we've encountered in Cape Town. We had better food at a Game Reserve buffet.

Bottom Line

Looking for a place with lousy "Italian" food, poor beverages, undertrained but enthusiastic servers and horrible value for your Rand? Then come on in and eat here.

Looking to avoid a tourist trap and actually enjoy your meal? You're better off somewhere else, although I haven't tried the other restaurants on this strip so I don't know if they'll fare any better.

• Visited October 2012
Monique S, Public Relations Manager at ZENZERO, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Good Day,

Thank you so much for writing your review on Zenzero Restaurant.

I am truly sorry for your disappointing experience and that we have failed you on all elements. Please know that this is not the standards we are known for and the matter will be taken up with all parties involved.

Is there any way we can make it up to you? Please will you contact me directly on marketing@pepenero.co.za so we can discuss it further.

• Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
“Great place in Camps Bay”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had Dinner here on a cold August night and the restaurant was warm and cozy. Food and service were fine and small issues we had were sorted out with a smile. Would go back and recommend it to my friends and visitors.

1 Thank KatrinLudik
Monique S, Public Relations Manager at ZENZERO, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Hi Katrin, Thank you so much for your positive feedback. Looking forward to your next visit.
“Yummy Osso Buco...”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

And my friend had the butternut squash with mushrooms and sage that she talked about for several days. I think she regrets that she didn't get a second order to go! Dessert was yummy, too, and I'm glad we split it. It was a decadent chocolate creation worth every bite.

1 Thank Bethleen
Monique S, Public Relations Manager at ZENZERO, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Hi There,

Thank you so much for positive feedback!

We really appreciate the time you took to write your review and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dammam
“Fabulous lunch from winter menu!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Reading some of these reviews I can't believe we were in the same place. Had fabulous meal at lunch. Butternut and feta cannelloni was outstanding. So much so I went back! Service was great and attentive, not pushy. Highly recommend.

• Visited August 2012
On behalf of the team at Zenzero Restaurant I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Your great feedback is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Nothing to do with italian food, but we weren't looking for that anyways (didn't even notice it was an italian restaurant!).
We had already stopped once for breakfast, as they have a nice terrace, but were disappointed by portions and quality of food. Yet we decided to stop for lunch but it wasn't any better!
Can't complain about the service but the food was terrible! We ordered a crayfish risotto and an asparagus and prawn risotto but they tasted like NOTHING at all.
Cape Town is full of cheaper restaurants with gorgeous food, go somewhere else!

• Visited July 2012
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Zenzero Restaurant.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the team for your disappointing breakfast and lunch and assure you that we take your comments very seriously.

Please allow us the opportunity to make it up to you. You can contact me on marketing@pepenero.co.za.

I look forward to hearing from you!