“Average food and service”
Review of TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT - CLOSED

TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The service and food here was just average. I tried to order 4 different cocktails from their menu before finding one they actually had the ingredients in stock to make. I had to flag down our server repeatedly to ask for more drinks. The food was just average.

1  Thank Sam861

Reviewed June 29, 2014

An absolutely wonderful location with the worse food I have ever had. Such a pity that they occupy a prime spot beachfront spot! Unsuspecting tourists & visitors frequent this establishment but is bound to leave with a bad view of what Camps Bay has to offer. Their 'discount' meals attract poor quality clientele.
Cleaning the restaurant thoroughly and employing better quality staff would be an improvement to start with. Tackling the kitchen and the inferior indifferent food being served should be a priority.
Blame should be laid at the door of the owner of this establishment for procuring the worse quality products for the kitchen.
When you complain to management, it is met with complete indifference!! SHAME on the owner for dragging down the reputation of the area. Given his attitude, these negative rating will probably mean nothing.
A very unhappy Camps Bay resident.

3  Thank Pamela C
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

As the owner i do try and respond positively and resolve any objective constructive criticism. But when a customer goes all out to attempt to slander a restaurant in every manner and post comments that are both untrue and unfounded , its very difficult not to show emotion or displeasure.
We are only human , serving thousands of guests each year , we cannot always please everyone and we can make a mistake .
Our normal policy is to try and resolve and attend to any problem or complaint during their dining . Customers are continually checked on during service by either myself, waiters or my manager.
Its quite amazing how the previous customer who previously posted his review below complaining with "everything wrong" , were all smiles and happiness during their meal , one of his party even commented how delicious their meal was , suddenly changed when he got the bill !!
We run winter specials and/ or groupon deals every year for our locals and visitors alike , I would think they would not take kindly to being termed by you as :
" POOR QUALITY CLIENTELE " - Madam as a local yourself , how can you print this !!

As to your comments that we serve " inferior indifferent food and procure the worst quality products for the kitchen " - this is completely preposterous !!
Our meat is AAA Karan beef ordered from only 2 major suppliers that supply most upmarket restaurants and 5 star hotels in Cape Town ; Government registered veal ; fresh fish sourced daily from large local wholesalers ; fresh veg and bread delivered daily and most of our dry goods are of recognized branded names ; our chips Macanns .

The furniture you sat on is less than 7 months old , we have just finished our yearly repaint and retiled certain areas , we employ 6 cleaners daily but with 40 seats outside and 100 plus inside and a cocktail bar , with customer and waiter continual traffic up and down the restaurant and toilets , is a never ending job cleaning , mopping etc .
Our kitchen is open to public view , its extremely compact with 9 chefs and cooks continually preparing , cooking and plating food , so it may appear messy or untidy at times - but its not " DIRTY " - please !!
We even employ 2 late night staff to clean and shrub the kitchen every night .
Most restaurants have a closed kitchen - you would be astonished at what can go on there unseen.
Sure there are cheaper places to eat in CT but not with the view , beach , sunsets and location of Camps Bay , but with rents of R450 / m2 , unfortunately we must all here charge as we do , being a tourist and visitor destination mainly during season , we do try and accomodate and give back something to our locals during winter .
There have been over 10 restaurants close up mainly due to very high rents charged in Camps Bay over the last 18 years we have traded here.
Regards
Nigel ( Owner )

Reviewed June 25, 2014

After a lovely walk up table mountain our group of 7 decided to end our day with a seafood meal in Camps Bay. Not knowing what Capmps Bay have to offer we searched on our smart phones and read the specials at Tuscany Beach Restaurant. R110Avg meal and the running special of eat one and partner eat for free. WARNING!!!! This is one big lie! The average meal cost R150 to R200 and the cheapest meal of the two will be for free. For this price you will get served a tiny portion of calamari and small line fish and your starch will be charged extra! The quality of the food is poor, small portion, bad presentation and the place is dirty! The bill was ridiculously expensive even after we had 3meals for free and we were still hungry. I will not recommend this place and will never go here again.

nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

When i get a customer such as this i actually question why i am still in the restaurant business after 23 years .
He obviously cannot find anything else to complain about but " SIR" let me explain the correct facts -
Theres no "rip off " and no " Lies" here . Our advertising clearly states our 2 for 1 special is only for main meals ordered from only our Normal a la carte Menu.
In addition we have a separate Special Winters menu , which was offered to you , where we offer pizza and pastas plus a steak dish and calamari dish with sides at heavily reduced discounted prices ( up to 45 %off ) - On this menu the 2 for 1 does NOT APPLY - if i had to give this as well, i might as well pack up and close shop !!!!!
But more than this, Daryll your waiter happens to be my most senior, Head waiter and you were clearly explained the specials and how they both operate when you arrived ,
These have been running since 1st May and yours is the first complaint of this nature.
Your party of 7 , 6 of you eating did however contain one dish from our Special menu
(already discounted menu ) , 5 of you ate of the main menu .
We deducted 2 main meals from your bill ,which was legally correct ,but because of your actions , complaints and to avoid any further basic unpleasantness at the table , my Manager deducted a further dish from your final bill, thus making 3 meals discounted .
Your total discount was R 285 , more than that , i might as well offer my blood !!

You even complained that we added 10 % waiters gratuity which is on tables of 6 or more
again clearly indicated on our Menu.

As to your other comments , i will not even give you the satisfaction or attempt to comment on these, quite unfounded and without foundation.

Your total bill of R712.00 for 6 persons , including drinks on Camps Bay beachfront , i reckon is more than fair and reasonable , take a trip to Spur and just see what you will pay .
NIGEL , OWNER

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Went for lunch, had pasta and found a stone or piece of gravel in my food when I bit into it. The manager on duty was surprised that this could happen but not really apologetic. I felt disgusted that I ate food from such a dirty kitchen.

1  Thank RheanQDL
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

I thought it was correct to respond to this customers complaint since finding a small stone in a pasta dish is unacceptable and for that i am truly sorry , but to be very honest here myself and my chefs , we are all at a total loss on how on earth this could actually happen.
It certainly does not make a kitchen " dirty ".
Its something that has never happened before in all my years , yes you can get sand in salad or spinach if not washed properly, but this one baffles me..
We served a chicken and broccoli ,cream based pasta , we have racked our brains to how this small stone ever got into a freshly made pasta , we can only assume it was possibly in the broccoli , but its fresh and washed beforehand .
A further possibility is that is was inside the chicken breast but again this is again is highly unlikely.
I must say that we did try our utmost to appease and offer some explanation and satisfaction to this customer but he would not let my manager get a single word in .
My sincere apologies to him and an offer to make amends is still open if he would like to phone us personally.

Nigel Owner

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Looked okay from the outside but a bit dirty inside. Extensive menu, friendly staff and good drinks but the location deserves much better food. I would try another place next time.

nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

I really feel that i must respond to this customers remarks of " a bit dirty inside " .
Apart from being somewhat bemused at posting a single comment like this without making some more detail or reference to the actual problem that they confronted , I am obviously concerned as any restaurant owner would be .
Its a great pity they were not more explicit in their comments or indeed conversed with myself or my Manager at the time.
We employ a total of 6 cleaning staff over a day , its our quiet winter months now ,so i am at a loss to understand to what and where this customer is referring to.

As to the comment on food , again to make this generalisation , very unfair and pretty impossible to respond to , particularly when we do make an effort to check on everyone's food during service ,and to my knowledge have had no complaints over this last week.

After 18 years on the strip i personally pride myself on ensuring the customer is 100% happy , if a customer receives a dish thats in any way not to their liking , expectation , whatever the reason , we gladly replace or refund the dish.

Nigel Owner