“My best endorsement for all us seafood lovers.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Codfather Seafood & Sushi

Codfather Seafood & Sushi
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Vancouver, Canada
“My best endorsement for all us seafood lovers.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

A fascinating evening that I will remember always; I gladly give the Codfather top marks.

The Codfather wins my personal award for ‘Innovative Dinning Experience’ for what is for me a very unique approach to dinner: rather than a menu, you select your seafood from a display case filled with a generously diverse selection of fruit-du-mer, filled with treats enough to satisfy the appetites of even the most picky fisherman. Langoustine, lobster, prawns of all sizes, fresh calamari, thick fillets of white fish, red fish and those in-between – all cooked to succulent perfection. Best langoustines ever – EVER. Everyone else messes those up but the Codfather scores 10 out of 10. Your dinner is accompanied by your choice of chips or rice, and is served with four sauces: peri-peri, lemon butter, garlic butter and one more I can’t remember, but all were great (fiery hot peri-peri!). They also have an excellent al-a-carte sushi menu that you can have as either an appetizer or a main, if you prefer. Wine selection is good and very reasonably priced; the food is worth every rand and you’ll be proud of rewarding yourself for spending on such a lovely treat.

The atmosphere is also very enjoyable: relaxed and casual, without pretentiousness and an excellent view of the coast where you can watch the sunset and see the stars. I should be more descriptive here but I was too busy enjoying my food to remember the environment…that’s a good thing! You can see more the of the restaurant from the Codfather’s website – the pictures are the real deal.

For me, the best part was meeting the owner: what a charming, upstanding and personable fellow – he really made me feel that I was ‘Customer Number One’ and that is something that only the very best of establishments offer. To the owner: thank you so much for a memory that I have shared with all my friends and will keep forever – you’ve set a standard for me!

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Local Icon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I wont go on about the sushi as it's not my thing but if you want great seafood, and great variety cooked to perfection come here. Order a window seat if possible, it's worth it for added atmosphere. Hold back on the wine/beer until you have made your selection of food otherwise things can become a little complicated, a shock even, as there is no set menu or prices because you buy your meal raw from a selection bar before it is cooked and there can be a worrying tendency to over order. We were aware of this beforehand but still over ordered. Our waiter was blessed with an encyclopedic knowledge on the produce and was extremely attentive. As there is so much to choose from it is best you pick a favourite or two as there is a tendency for your eyes to become too big for your belly! Perhaps order several dishes and share. Can get very busy and consequently noisy - but then that must mean the food is good.

• Visited December 2012
Cardiff
“Super fresh fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not been to the Codfaher for a couple of years. I was delighted to find that the quality of the fish is still some of the best that you will ever eat.
We did not have sushi. Headed straight for the fish counter and ordered butter fish, tuna, and calamari, from the very large selection on offer. We also had a realy good crisp and crunchy salad to go with it.
The bread was very good, as were the 4 sauces that came with the fish. The calamari was the best that I have tasted in Cape Town. The tuna was flash seared to perfection, and the butter fish was excelent.
As the fish and sea foods are sold by weight, it can be a fairly expensive meal--by local standards. Beware of the waiters trying to push you to the most expensive options. The service is top class.
You can also take your own wine, for a moderate corkage charge.
Best to reserve tables, and try to go early. It can be rather a rugby scrum around the fish counter.

Bothell, WA
“The food was superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was as good as it gets for me. Not a foodie, just like my meal to taste great! There is no formal menu, just head to the fish case and choose what you want to eat. You can mix and match shellfish with white fish or calamari. Food is charged by the gram. Service was excellent. I chose a white fish. The fish is grilled, perfectly spiced and served hot in a black, cast iron plate. The meal comes with some delicious, soft and tasty bread. The real treat was the four (4) options you can spoon onto your fish. The choices are garlic butter, lemon butter, an apricot dressing and a chili based dressing. I tried them out on the bread before the fish arrived. Each was so good, I used them all twice as I made my way through the fish. The sushi is ok as it is kept on a conveyor belt, so my ahi was a bit dried out. I'd order a fresh dish next time and let the belt pass me by.

The Codfather is around the corner at the south end of restaurant row in Camp's Bay. Don't be put off by the building from the outside. Just head upstairs and enjoy a terrific meal!

Zurich, Switzerland
“50% off Sushi Weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

As the other reviews mention it's the best sushi in Cape Town. There is no menu, you look at the fish selection on ice and choose what you want and get charged by weight. Simple yet delicious with different sides. Also a good local wine menu. Great for big groups. Reservation suggested. Only down side is the location, there is no ocean view