“Authentic Karoo Experience”

Lemoenfontein Game Lodge
Ranked #1 of 23 Beaufort West B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2013

What is it that keeps drawing me back to Lemoenfontein year after year? It isn't just the crisp white linen and the old, high ceilings of the main lodge, or the beautiful garden that is an oasis in the desert or the wonderful game (not the big five, this is the Karoo after all) but oryx, ostrich and springbok are common sightings. It isn't even that my large German Shepherd is welcome - and where else can you go for a morning run with your pet past herds of antelope of one type or another? What keeps me coming back is that I feel like I am at home. I love that when I want a glass of wine in the afternoon I help myself from the wine fridges. And at supper I sit on the 18th Century veranda overlooking plains that stretch away to the Swartberg and eat what the chefs have chosen for me. What a treat not to have to look at a menu but to eat the delicious authentic Karoo cuisine that always seems to be exactly what I feel like eating. Ingrid and her staff have made Lemoenfontein a jewel of a place. I always find peace stealing over me when I spy the old lodge nestled in the hills after a long hot drive across the country.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the old lodge building, but all the rooms are lovely
1  Thank Justine L

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great stopover for Cape Town/JHB travellers or getaway for quiete relaxing time with family or friends . Food very nice, location, views, walks all very good and well worth a visit
For Heli stops fuel is available, delivered to lodge excellent service

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wayneb932
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What an Amazing Place!!!!!!!
My Girlfriend and I Visited over the Easter Weekend (30th March – 02 April 2013) and everything couldn’t have been more perfect!
About a month before arriving I had secretly planned and arranged with the Staff and Owners of Lemeonfontein that I would be proposing to my Girlfriend on the Game Drive which they offer. They were over the moon and were willing to assist at every possible corner they could. Their whole team was aware of it and about a months’ worth of planning had finally come to reality when we arrived.
Upon arrival you walk on the largest Veranda / “Stoep” (Afrikaans) that overlooks the beautiful Karoo. At night you see the glistening lights of the city off in the distance. Beautiful. We then made our way to the reception area where Jenny was eagerly awaiting our arrival. She made as if we have never spoken before and greeted us very warmly. I enquired if there was a room for us (which of course there was – But pretending that she had to check) after doing the initial walk through my Girlfriend agreed and we were all set to stay the night. At that point jenny very cleverly told us to get settled in and that I must come to the front desk to sort out our details and things, this gave me an opportunity to go alone to the front desk and get ring and special champagne out from the boot and also to give her the rings box.
I go to the front desk and she admitted how nervous she was. I told her nonsense as she did an excellent job. I gave her the ring and the Champagne, and she once again confirmed that everything was sorted for the BIG proposal and that the driver had already selected a spot. I was a bit concerned about the weather and she easy my heart by telling me the Driver ( a local resident and expert with the animals ) assured her that everything would be perfect he knows what he is going to do, even if the weather changes.
The rooms were fantastic. A very large (bigger than King) soft bed was the main aspect of it. It also had 2 chairs in like a mini lounge inside the room, placed in front of an in room fireplace! There was wood and firelighters and we sat the following evening and chatted in from of it. Amazingly relaxing. The weather outside was perfect for a chill in front of a fire. The room also had the standard fridge and coffee station in it. All the normal 5 Star extras where added. Bibles in the draws, TV with the full DSTV package, tissues, hairdryers, Mosquito Spray and wall plus adapters. It was really clean and well prepared. The bathroom had a duel shower were both of us could shower at the same time. As well as this beautiful cast iron bath tub.
We then went to have a drink in the Honesty bar. A bar where you could just take what you like, and just record it on a card where it would be added to your bill in the morning. I loved this concept. It made me feel like we were at home. The bar is in a very big lounge type area, with big soft couches and a fire place where we could make a fire. They have some great reading material scattered on the various coffee tables and ledges around the lounge.
Cutting a very long story rather short; I will get to the chase of the weekend. We went on the game drive. Moos (the driver) had stopped where the giraffe’s where busy eating on some trees. He then tactically hung the ring box at a tree and told us to go explore a bit. We got out walked around and there it was hanging. I suggested we go look at what that was. Very nervously we approached because my girlfriend was under the impression it could be snake eggs. I took it off the tree, and asked her to inspect the box while I inspected the sleeve. When she realised it was a ring box she opened it. Only to see it was empty. At that point I dropped down on one knee and reached for the ring in my pocket and popped the big question. SHE SAID YES!!
The FOOD:
The food prepared by the kitchen staff was scrumptious; from our first meal at supper to our very last breakfast the Sunday morning before we departed. We were fortunate enough to meet the kitchen staff and what a friendly bunch they are. We made informed them that the food prepared at every meal was delicious and very fulfilling; and let me make it known to you that their CRISPY POTATOES are the best that I and my fiancé tasted. She was so impressed that said that it’s better than her mom’s, and that is guaranteed!
Lastly I would like to add that the service truly exceptional. From the owners, staff, kitchen staff to the driver. Everyone made you feel at home, and by them assisting me with all the planning it turned out to be absolutely remarkable. There warm greetings during the day, getting to know a little more about you whilst being at the bar, or even sitting on the veranda; a place that you can call HOME. It’s Unforgettable memories that we will never forget.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HOSPITALITY LEMOENFONTEIN! WE WILL SURELY BE COMING BACK EVERY YEAR!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1! the perfect room for a couple! If possible ask for roast potatoes with you s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Craig C
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Good position ,nice views,friendly people, very good stopover place for the family ,the kids were very happy to do some hiking too.
The dinner and breakfast experience was great as the meals were like home cooked food.loved the sweet potato pastry cake.
Great place ,excellent experience

Reviewed April 1, 2013

A great place to relax and experience real Karoo hospitality (and cuisine). Can't recommend it enough...

Rooms are great, stunning views and very friendly staff. They always have good wine behind the bar and nice linen on the beds. I have stayed at Lemoenfontein more than a dozen times and am already planning my next visit.
Daniel

Reviewed March 28, 2013

When travelling from the north, you currently can't predict your travel time. Although the numerous stop-go control claim to only be 10min, they bunch the heavy vehicles which makes travel slow. Loosing time in this way meant we missed the exploratory game drive, so our Lemoenkloof adventure became a simple sleepover.
I appreciated the large rooms and comfortable bed. They also stored my perishables in a freezer.
Although the stretch of dirt road is not impossible, it not ideal for a low slung sedan plus load road trailer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Thank you to Ingrid, Kobus and all the staff at Lemoenfontein Game Lodge. This was our third stay and every time it only gets better! After hours of driving you are welcomed and made to instantly feel at home and spoilt. Nothing is too much trouble for the owners; food is gorgeous, and the views are totally amazing - the joy and the wonder of the openness is breathtaking. We have recommended this Game Lodge to many and will continue to do so.

Brian and Linda