“NICE FOR A ONE-OFF TREAT”

O on Kloof Boutique Spa
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Milk and Honey is really a beauty salon, and not a 'spa' at all. They share their space (two treatment rooms) with the hotel's gym. The reception desk faces the indoor swimming pool and the treatment rooms are behind this desk. I heard other clients ask if they would be allowed to use the pool, and were told that it's actually for hotel guests' use only. They have a small reception/waiting area, or should I say I thought that's what it was, until, to my surprise, this same area was used for doing the pedicure in! So not only is there no lying down relaxing while your pedi is done, you're in the hustle and bustle of the salon/gym/general running of a hotel activities. And other clients who come into that same area to wait for their treatment to start, still chat away on their phones and generally disturb the peace. The salon staff gather around the reception desk and chat away within earshot and eyesight of the client, who would really prefer to be somewhere in a quiet, peaceful space. Specially if such an outing is intended as a treat, rather than a functional visit. I also had a full body massage, and wasn't even asked what type of pressure I prefer. Also, she never touched my neck or upper arms (shoulder area) at all. The massage is advertised as 60 minutes long. I was finished 15 minutes before the hour, and if one still subtracts 5 minutes or so for getting changed, it means an absolute maximum of 40 minutes of treatment time. The pedicure was the same. Between the two treatments I was finished half an hour short of two hours, and part of those 90 minutes involved changing time and waiting time between the two treatments. The pedi was standard with hardly any massage involved at all - simply a perfunctory application of a moisturiser. I almost feel that one should say beforehand that you don't want your nails painted, as that takes up most of the (abbreviated) appointment time. Perhaps if they know they won't have to varnish, they will do the other elements of the pedicure properly.

This salon's prices are at the very high end of the market. In my view, they would be alright if they charged R200 to R300 for the massage and R150 to R200 for the pedicure, but in the R440 -R550 and R270 category respectively, they are definitely not.

1  Thank HarveyCapeTown

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Their staff was very kind and helpful throughout our stay. Being such a small hotel (about 5 guest rooms) they kept an eye on everything ... Including when each guest returned for the night - they made sure everyone was safe before they'd lock up. The hotel is pretty, but for the price you can't see the beach and I didn't feel safe outside the hotel. They've taken great measures to make the place secure (double gated lock entry, spikes along the tops of the gates, video surveillance, panic button, etc), but it confirmed my intuition that it was a rougher part of town. Thanks for making our stay so nice and for all the activity and restaurant recommendations!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I booked a facial upon arrival which was just what I needed having arrived on honeymoon with a breakout! But the fantastic beautician made sure I felt confident again by the time I left.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is a review of the Spa only. I have no idea about the Hotel - it may be wonderful.
I booked a couple's massage for my sister and brother-in-law. Based on the reviews on this site I was certain this would be the indulgent experience and "Welcome to Cape Town" I would present them with after 24-hours flight time and some serious jet-lag.
With much excitement we drove in to town (40km) and were met by a lady who explained that the only therapist was off sick and it would only be possible to receive the massages in 3 weeks time. Disapointed, but understanding that these things do sometimes happen, we re-shuffled plans & made a note of the new appointment date.
On the day of the appointment I called in to confirm the treatment and was told that they had absolutely NO record of any massages for a couple on that day. I explained that the recipients were leaving Cape Town and the receptionist assured me that they would be able to receive their massages bright and early the next morning.
Again, we drove 40km in to town for these supposedly luxurious massages and AGAIN we were met with looks of consternation. The Spa was not expecting us, did not have a therapist available, could accommodate us in 4 hours (until which time we should presumably just hang around), the receptionist had zero memory of talking with me yesterday and continued to refer to the booking from 3 weeks prior saying that the 2014 booking system was not yet up and running. To be clear, the booking system is a large diary on her desk.
The most frustrating and embarrassing experience of the holiday and there is obviously no way I would ever recommend this Spa to anyone. If you're looking for a relaxing Spa experience then you need to look elsewhere.

3  Thank BookEndDoha
Reviewed June 13, 2013

From the time you make a reservation to when leave the hotel, you are treated like royalty. There can only be one King in a Kingdom and thats how they treat you, like you are the only guest they have and have ever had. The service is so Out-of this world, price does not matter

1  Thank Pat K