“disappointing....”
Review of Ellerman House

Ellerman House
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bantry Bay
Reviewed December 23, 2012

we stayed at Ellerman House at the end of a three week holiday in September. It has taken me this long to write my review as the visit has mixed emotions for me. We arrived and were shown to Room 10, which on the face of it was beautiful. We unpacked, had some lunch, sat on our terrace for a while and then I decided to have a siesta.... then things went wrong. It was a hot day and when my head hit the pillow there were heavy vibrations and a loud humming noise. On sticking my head out of the bathroom window to see what the noise was, I saw at least 6 air conditioning units working flat out, so this is where the noise and vibrations came from. Being a bit noise sensitive, we asked for a change of room but the only room available was Ellerman Villa, which normally comes with a hefty price tag of circa £2500 a night. We were taken to the room in the villa we had been allocated and on the way the male staff member made a comment that upset me greatly, He inferred that we had planned a rather good upgrade and we should be delighted with the move. We were not. The Villa itself is beautiful but we were only given access to a bedroom and bathroom, no drinking water, none of the treats that were available in the main house and no where to sit, not even a key to lock the door. I tried sitting in the lounge on the ground floor but was in the way of staff cleaning the floor and doing whatever they were doing to welcome the next villa guests. The following morning we met Ella the General Manager at breakfast and she asked how we were. I dont know why but I felt very upset about the moving around, and the comments that had been made, so all she had to do was look at me and see tears in my eyes. Ellerman House was just not working for us at all, we had now been in 2 rooms in 1 night..... not very restful. We were moved again to a lovely room, room 2.
at last did we have a quiet room... sort of. The plumbing from the room above made a lot of noise every time the occupants of the room used the bathroom, and the doors out on to the terrace were just below our room so we knew every time the door was opened as it banged.
It is hard to describe fully how we felt, although I felt that I was made to feel a nuisance as how dare I criticise a hotel that never gets complaints. I think the service is OK until something goes wrong. I felt some arrogance in some of the staff when I dared not be 100% happy with things. There was also considerable noise from the building works at the hotel and other builders in the area. If I had been paying Ellerman Villa prices I would have been less than happy as the building noise at this end of the premises was considerable.
The setting is beautiful, the rooms are decorated to a high standard, just too many things went wrong for us and we were glad to leave. We were so disappointed that the end of our three week stay in SA was not the bliss we had expected it to be.
Clearly 3 months on this still is upsetting for us...

Room Tip: Dont choose room 10 if you dont like noise - a number of air conditioning units on the side wall tha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sue B
EllermanCapeTown, General Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Sue,
Thank you for your review, and we are so sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to standard and disappointing to you.
We've investigated the situation and spoken to the entire team. We've rectified the noise outside Room 10 with regards to the aircon units.
We hope that you will consider returning soon so that we can show you what a true gem Ellerman House is.
Ella Cuyler - General Manager

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Ok, its Ellerman House and everyone loves it, but how good could it really be? Well just as good as the reviewers say and perhaps even better. Everything is wonderful here and if you are lucky to be staying at Ellerman House then you are feeling wonderful too. So many thanks to the entire staff who made us feel at home and went out of their way to assist two weary travelers. Three nights were not enough, or were they?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Marketing Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations as we pride ourselves in offering true South African Hospitality.
We look forward to welcome you back to Ellerman House soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My second stay was just as fantastic as my first. The hotel cannot be beat for staff/food/rooms/atmosphere. I just love it here, you feel like you are family. The staff cannot
do more for you and are so friendly. It was my b'day while I was there and they all said happy birthday as they saw me through the day and made a beautiful b'day cake that they presented at dinner. Speaking of food, it's super good. We ate breakfast/dinner there every day. The new wine sommelier Manny is very knowledgeable and picks great wine.
I had room 3 this time, on the 2nd floor overlooking the ocean. There is no balcony but you have the view.
Stay here, you won't regret it and will want to return asap. I know I do.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Marketing Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you so much for your great review. It was wonderful to have you back and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed it the second time round. Manny is a wonderful new member of our family and he really enhances the guests' wine experience at Ellerman House. Veronica and her team of chefs, pride themselves on only offering the best local produce and our staff is passionate about what they do.
We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've been fortunate enough to have visited som fantastic hotels in my life, but Ellerman House beats them all and takes it to another level!

The hotel is filled with art and is immaculate and beautifully appointed throughout. Wonderful pool area, complementary pantry, and several areas where one can relax, both outdoors as well as indoors. The food they serve is outstanding (try the carbonara for lunch) and the rooms are gorgeous and spacious. The ambiance is a home away from home (no reseption, personal greetings from manager upon arrival) and very exclusive at the same time. This means complete relaxation in beautiful surroundings.

The best part is the service however. Its impossible to fault and feels genuinely warm. Everybody is smiling, are eager to please and very attentive. My mother was first distressed that they did not have coffee making fascilities but a phone call in the morning brought perfect coffee in abundance and quickly too. On our last morning they called up to our room to offer us the use of the villa until our pick up that afternoon. It turned out to be the most perfect day in this very unique villa. They made us forget about going home!

The only problem is they now have ruined all other Cape Town hotels for us! Well, I guess we'll just have to stay here from now on when in Cape Town! If you have a chance go! Its expensive but worth every penny!

Room Tip: Book the villa if traveling with a group. It has three bedrooms and is stunning in every way!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Missy2011Oslo_Norway
EllermanCapeTown, Marketing Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our property. We really appreciate it, and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. And especially happy that you could experience the Villa. It is truly a unique villa, and one of it's kind in Cape Town.
It is always great to hear from our guests that the best part of everything was the service and our people - we pride ourselves on offering true South African Hospitality.
We look forward to welcome you back to Ellerman House in the near future.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Ellerman House has to be one of the finest boutique hotels in Africa. The location overlooking Bantry Bay is not only stunning, but also quiet and incredibly central for most Cape Town and Peninsula activities. The service is absolutely impeccable, discreet, warm and friendly, and the food we enjoyed was simply outstanding (still dreaming of the beef fillet). Thank you to Ella and her team for providing us with the perfect ending to our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Ask for full sea view - it's worth it. Number 2 for instance is excellent. Alternatively, if you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Marketing Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the last leg of your honeymoon with us. Veronica's fillet is definitely one of her specialities - happy dreaming!
We look forward to welcome you back to our home soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

A huge THANK YOU to everyone at Ellerman House for making our stay an unforgettable experience. A few tips for first time visitors; ask about the scenic hike to Camps Bay from the hotel and the exclusive wine tour to three exceptional estates in the Stellenbosch wine lands; sit back and enjoy whale spotting from the terrace whilst enjoying breakfast on the hotel terrace and remember to pop into the art gallery at some stage (that's if you're able to pull yourself away from the pool with those spectacular ocean views of course!). We loved the attention to detail at this establishment and looking forward to our next visit in May already!

Room Tip: The Ellerman House Villa is exquisite and ideal for small groups or family bookings.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
EllermanCapeTown, Marketing Manager at Ellerman House, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. We really appreciate your kind words and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The wine experience is definitely a must when visiting us and I agree that there is nothing like sitting on the terrace and enjoying the spectacular view.
We look forward to welcome you back to Ellerman House in May 2013.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I’m sure Ellerman House hears this all the time but I can’t stress how brilliant every aspect of our time at Ellerman House was. My wife and I have now stayed there half a dozen times and I have to say that the the staff as always were superb, the food absolutely phenomenal and the place looked the best I have ever seen it. It really is a very special place, I don’t see how one could find better anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review of our property. We love having you here and so happy to hear that you still enjoy every stay.
Our staff is truly the best, and they pride themselves in offering a world-class experience to our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry Bay
One&Only Cape Town
One&Only Cape Town
#13 of 110 in Cape Town Central
The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa

Been to Ellerman House? Share your experiences!