“Poor service”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

My family travelled to Sun City Resort with me to attend the Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce annual convention. We stayed at the Sun City Hotel. The room is good with all basic facilities. The housekeeping is adequate. However the service provided by waiters and waitresses at breakfast is shockingly poor. No one came to my table to ask whether I would like coffee or tea. No spoons were provided at the table. The waitresses were not helpful. I asked for coffee and by the time I left, no coffee was served. I asked for milk for my child, no one directed me to where I could get milk. I asked for spoons for cereal, not forthcoming. I ended up using a fork to eat my cereal.

Extremely poor service, will not stay at Sun City Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Choose level 5 if you want to have a better view; choose level 3 if you want easy access to actions...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Kevin_Yeh
Julius R, Manager at Sun City Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Kevin

Thank you for your feedback about your visit to Sun City. We value your comments and we commit to addressing the isseus that you have raised. We pride ourself with the excellent service that we provide to our guests and I am sorry that we failed to leave up to the expectation n this regard. PLease accept my apology and I can quarantee you that, what you experienced is not the true reflection of our breakfast room service.

Kind regads
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have in may14 and it was a awesome experience including food, stay and all sports activity. I and my family stayed for 2 nights and we have done many outdoor activity , casino and we will surely visited it again after 2 years.

Room Tip: Please choose the room that are on the ground level.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Julius R, Manager at Sun City Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Harshil01

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your visit to Sun City and your stay at Sun City Hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and trust that you will give us another chance to service your lodging needs

Kind Regards
Islamabad Capital Territory, Pakistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Sun City hotel is an excellent place keeping its location, attractions, facilities, atmosphere and services in view.
Dining facilities are also good and the hotel gives you excellent services from pick and drop within the Sun city resort to the gym, market area, casino, water park, jungle safari and other places as well.
Overall its a worth staying place whether you are accompanying with kids or on a solo business visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank M0htashim
Julius R, Manager at Sun City Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear M0htshim

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your stay with us. We value your feedback and we are looking forward to servicing you again in the new future.

kind regards
Aurangabad, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

It was quite relaxing in cascade hotel of Sun city.Though there is not much in sun city,the drive to Pilansberg wild life park is great where you can spot a lot of animals.The hotel gives wi-fi access to only one devise and that too 100 mb.The visit to gym is also charged.The breakfast did not serve much for vegetarians.You have to manage with fruits and bread.Go for Sun City if you want relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Go for cascades.Dont stay in maine hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vishalpande1
Julius R, Manager at Sun City Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Vishalpande1

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback after your relaxing time in Sun City.

it is always a pleasure to get positive feedback form our valued guest. We will definitely look into increasing the varitey for the vegetarian breakfast.

We hope to host you once again in the near future.

Sun City Hotel & Casino
Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I can almost echo a lot of the previous posters. Check in is slow Staff unfriendly but some are friendly. The Casino staff is really unfriendly and most people that stay at the Main Hotel Stay there to be close to the Casino. Overall not worth the drive. I normally stay here once a month but I have decided to stop as it is an Old Hotel and Out Dated.

Room Tip: Ask for Ground floor rooms if you want to spend time at the pool. Stay on the 3rd floor if you want...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear JacoRSA,

We would like to thank you for giving a brief write-up on The Sun City Hotel.

We apologise that we did not live up to your expectations ths time around. We constantly try to deliver the highest standards in the hospitality field. I would like to personally assure the issue of unfriendly staff will be looked into and appropriately addressed. This is not kind of service that has placed Sun City in highest regards, the world over.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves and bulid better memories of the resort.

Travelers are raving about these Sun City hotels

Melkbosstrand, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

When you make your reservations you do it with a central reservation in Johannesburg. When I phoned I spoke to a woman that was not clued up and helpful at all. She gave me wrong information and that upset us on our arrival. I booked a double bed, no smoking room with a view. She said she can only book me a standard room with 2 single beds, she cannot give me a room with a view, that depends on availability on arrival , (what is the use to make a specific reservation then?) she told me when we arrive they can change the room to our liking. I believed this woman because she is from reservations and that is her job just to do reservations. I also asked her if she can book breakfast for me at the Palace one morning. She said no but when we there they will assist us with that request. I also asked her about other reservations like shows and places to eat. She assured me that I can arrange all of that on my arrival. Well that is another story!!
When we arrived the lady at reception said we have a standard room, 2 single beds on the 6th floor. We were told we could not change the room because they are fully booked. The room had no view although it was on the 6th floor the windows were covered by high trees. I had to phone housekeeping myself to change the bed to a double bed. We asked where we can book to have breakfast at the Palace and to see the show. She direct us where we must go. When we got to the place where we must make the reservation for the Palace we were told that we cannot go there because of a private function. It is closed for the general public that stays at Sun City’s other establishments. What a big disappointment! We were all the way from Cape Town. We then went to make the booking for the show and we were once again turned down. You can only make you booking on the day of the show. We decided to go and relax at the pool. Well jet another surprise! The swimming pool was without water, they were doing maintenance. We were not informed by reservations of any of the above that were happening. We went to make a booking for dinner one evening at a restaurant called Santorini at the Cascades Hotel. Once again we were turned away. They were closed for a private function. We went to the other restaurant The Peninsula on the premises and we were informed that they are not open in the evening. We went back to our Hotel and the 2 restaurants were both closed. We went to the information desk and were told they open only at 18h00 and as residence we can just go there . The evening when we wanted to go for dinner we were told that we had no reservation and they were fully booked. Once again we as guests and residence of the hotel were turned away. We were very upset, that they did not consider any residence, and we were a few couples talking about the bad service. We had to go to the entertainment centre to have dinner at Squires. That we could have done in Cape Town as well, and they do not take reservations you need to come and stand in a queue for food, luckly the man at the front was very helpful and gave us a table within 10 minutes.
B’dazzled, the latest show, a last we made a booking at computicket for the show. We enjoyed the one hour show, you can order drinks before the show to enjoy. Very surprised to see only a few people.
Luma Bar & Lounge - We enjoyed lunch one afternoon, a beef burger and chips, and had a Strawberry Daiquiri on the stoep, overlooking a dry pond under maintenance.
We will not go back easily. There are too many nice places that render good service were I can spend my money. Sun City does not need my money and will not see us again. Sun City is not what it was before.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Vorsters
Dear Vosters,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to give us this elaborate feedback. This will assist in bringing our service levels to the highest hospitality standards.

From your review, there is a huge need to improve our communication processes within the company in order to inform our guests effectively. Please be assured that this is a drive that will be reinforced and continually monitored.

The matter of the high trees will also be looked into, obviously reaching a compromise with our "green" initiatives.

We appeal that this visit will not deter you from visiting us once again in the near future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

It was the most horrible experience to go to suncity. the staff in the hotel has terrible attitude. its like they dont care. the concierge lacks lot of info which kills your planning. the people at reception never picks up phone. the entertainment center where they are suppose to be polite with kids gets irritated if kids take time to choose their gifts . there are 15 people wo just wants to talk and not pay attention to kids what they are paid for.the restaurant where you have breakfast has the worst people ever. if you ask about vegetarian they really confuse you and the service on the table , horrrribbbleee .even after telling them to clean up they would not show .. if you ask for anything they react as they didnt hear it and ignore you.. you should check the photo of our breakfast table that i am uploading. ..
having such a great experience of friendly people in cape town, game lodge and knysna the whole impression was spoilt after going to sun city,,, it was a big mistake to go to suncity,.. if you want your trip to be nice please DDOOOO NNNNOOOOTTT GOOO to Sun City ...it is absolutely not worth ittt.

Room Tip: Please select anything else Please do not GO to sun city.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank shairul2014
Dear Shairul2014,

We would like to thank for taking the time to write a review about our property. This will greatly assist in addressing all the issues that you have brought to our attention.

It is very disheartening to learn of your very unpleasant stay with us and would like to believe it an isolated occassion that should never happen again.

Please be assured that all of the concerns will be dealt with individually and appropriate action taken to ensure there is none recurrence of these issues. All necessary measures will be taken to deliver the kind of service that has been the pride of Sun City.

We hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sun City
Magalies Manor
Magalies Manor
#6 of 7 in Magaliesburg
Protea Hotel by Marriott Waterval Boven Malaga

Been to Sun City Hotel? Share your experiences!