“Las Vegas with a hangover!”
Review of Cascades, Sun City

Cascades, Sun City
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Cascades was really old fashioned , poor decor and the first family room we were put in was truly terrible . No room to swing a cat and the bed for my two boys was a sofa bed that was so old and a dip that they practically had to sleep on top of each other. It was very expensive as a hotel and is just not worth it. Concrete jungle and a very poor Las Vegas ! Not worth the trip

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rayne E
Patrick S, Manager at Cascades, Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Greetings from the Cascades Hotel
I would like to thank you so much for the feedback provided on Tripadvisor - It is much appreciated.
We are very much sorry that you did not have pleasant stay with us. We have taken note of your comments regarding the hotel for future developments. Once again, thank you so much and hope all is in order.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We booked two Superior double rooms with one being a family room so we could fit two extra beds for the children. Our family room on the ground floor was far to small for two extra beds so luckily we were able to put one of the children in the other room which was much bigger than ours. We had a balcony which still had rubbish left on the patio table. There was nothing special about this room at all.
The breakfast however was fantastic. I have never seen so many juices to choose from. The staff were all friendly and helpful it was just the hotel itself that was a disappointment.

The kids loved the Valley of the Waves with the five slides and the wave machine. The bridge with the elephants is a waste of time as it hardly moves. The food from the outside restaurants may be the same chains as the inside restaurants but the quality was much poorer. My husband played golf and said the course was fantastic, it is well worth getting a caddy who knows the course inside out. The kids also enjoyed the childrens arcade games.
So overall I would not bother with Cascades and try to stretch our funds to stay in the Palace of the Lost City, the kids love the water park and my husband loved the golf.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank annaprit

Greetings from the Cascades Hotel
We are delighted to note the positive comment regarding our staff and the breakfast. I would like to thank you for this and to also apologize for the unpleasant experience – we have taken note of your comment regarding the room for future development.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were a part of a large group, and the hotel and facilities were very good, however the staff were generally rude, unhelpful and not very effective.
It didn't happen to me, but some of the people in the group had left small amounts of money in the room and it was stolen, restaurants and surrounding areas were very good.

Room Tip: They are all the same pretty much I think from memory
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MatP361

Greetings from the Cascades Hotel
We have taken note of the comment regarding the staff and positive feedback provided. I would like to thank you for this and to also apologize for the unpleasant experience. Please note that necessary measures have been to avoid reoccurrence of the same scenario.
Once again, my sincere apologies and hope all is in order.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We went to the Cascades Hotel in March 2013. The grounds are beautiful and the view from my balcony room was fabulous. However, I would strongly suggest to anyone staying at this hotel to lock up your electronic devices no matter how big or small, apparel, documents and cash is a given. I made the tragic mistake of leaving my 15" Dell laptop in my room to charge for a literally a few hours. When I got back to my hotel room, my laptop was gone. I had checked into the property less than 24 hours. The hotel goes the motion of taking an incident report and offer what I would classify as worthless lip service.

Joe (lobby area) and Dane (the pianist) were great. Other staff made you feel as if it was an inconvenience having you there. This can be a cultural thing or the lack of understanding that tourist provides revenue for the hotel.

The electrical sockets could be updated to accommodate both EU and USA plugs. We stayed in a much smaller hotel in Joberg and they had it. So I was surprised not to see that at the Cascades. Overall, I could manage through everything except for the theft.

Room Tip: The corner rooms on the top floors provide an excellent view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank BethM1972

Greetings from the Cascades Hotel
I would like to acknowledge that formal respond has been sent to you and the matter resolved accordingly.
Patrick Serakwane, Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

As part of a tour of SA we stayed for a couple of nights at the cascades in Sun City. The overall experience was great but there are some areas which let this fabulous place down.

Positives
Great complex and options available for a fantastic experience. We went to the water park which was great although again a little tired, took the excursion for shooting, archery and quad biking which I could not recommend highly enough and had a wonderful meal at the Lost City Crystal Restaurant which was fantastic! We never had the chance to play golf but those we spoke to said it is well worth it as well.

Negatives
As mentioned this place was built a few years ago and the whole complex shows this but is still at a fairly decent standard.
The service was also a let down in the hotel with conflicting message about dress codes for the restaurants from different people and also not as helpful as I would expect. The dress code I found to be particularly dated and after specifically buying trousers and getting to dinner to find someone in jeans and trainers which I was advised were not accepted I was a little annoyed...also as you are out in the complex the pricing reflects this in what you have to pay!

Overall a good experience, great outdoors and sporting options available as well as a fantastic meal in the Lost City Hotel. I would go back but I think for a gambling experience stick to Vegas!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Craig M

Greetings from the Cascades Hotel
Thank you so much for taking time and efforts to provide us with feedback regarding your stay at the Cascades Hotel – It is much appreciated. Please note that we have taken note of all the comments raised and would like to rest assure you that necessary measures have been taken into account.
I would also like to thank you so much for the positive feedback provided. We proud ourselves for great service, great experience and we take feedback very seriously for the betterment of service delivery.
Once again, thank you so much and sincere apologies for the confusion experienced with regards to the dress code.
Regards,
Patrick Serakwane, Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent Easter weekend in suite 1201 a room number that we will not forget in a hurry. It was pure luxury from the moment we arrived, with Champaign on ice for a special occasion and all the luxuries one could wish for.
While sipping the Champaign looking out from our veranda, over the pool and surrounding area, the thoughts of the busy road getting there, just slipped from our memory. We had an approx 240-degree view of the grounds, including the golf fairways, the Palace and the pool below.
We ate all our breakfasts in the Peninsular Restaurant and admittedly, arrived fairly late most mornings, and we had to stand in a queue. However, this time just dissolved with an offer of bubbly with orange juice. While we enjoyed this, we planned our day and in no time, we were being showed to our table. On our last morning, we decided to leave nice and early and walked straight to our table without any delay.
The Cascades Restaurant had theme buffets for dinner meals, which was a change from their set menu. Very enjoyable with live intertainment.
Being a long weekend during the holiday season, there was a very vibrant atmosphere, with live performances at the Vista Bar and the Peninsular Restaurant.
Well worth battling through the Easter traffic to get there!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HappyChappie2010
Patrick S, Manager at Cascades, Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Greetings from The Cascades Hotel

We are in receipt of your feedback regarding your stay at The Cascades Hotel. It is exciting to hear that you had a great time with us and we were at your service. Thanks for your time and efforts to send us feedback - much appreciated!!

The Cascades Hotel

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for 5nts recently and chose this hotel instead of The Palace which we had stayed at before (we fancied a change). As we had a baby the hotel was more suitable as it is closer to all the amenities and you dont need to get the courtesy bus like you would from the palace. Cascades adjoined the main centre so took a few minutes to walk there and is set next to the golf course which you are able to walk on throughout the day with breathtaking views. We got upgraded to a suite on the 9th floor and the room was fantastic. The view from the balcony was also breathtaking. We never had an issue with getting loungers around the pool and the service from the pool staff was fantastic. Room service and cleaning of the room was also excellent. The pool restaurant is greek themed and serves some of the best fish dishes we had ever tasted. We have been to Sun City a few times and always enjoyed it. If you are a couple and fancy a bit of luxury choose the Palace but if you are a family or want to be close to everything definitely pick Cascades they will definitely take care of you.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are great but we managed to get upgraded to the suite on the 9th floor which made our...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ALT1976UK

Greetings from The Cascades Hotel

This refers to the feedback provided on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for the positive feedback - much appreciated and wish to welcome you back in future.

The Cascades Hotel

#2 of 3 in Pilanesberg National Park
The Royal Marang Hotel
The Royal Marang Hotel
#1 of 13 in Rustenburg

Been to Cascades, Sun City? Share your experiences!