“EXCEPTIONAL”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed October 2, 2009

A very warm, friendly and hospitable destination with exceptional Staff always prepared to go the extra mile. The rooms are big and airy, fitting in with the general African theme of the hotel. Breakfast and High Tea in the lovely Crystal Room is extremely decadent. The pool area and the lovely gardens around the hotel, in fact around the whole Sun City complex, with hidden treasures along the way, fits in beautifully with the hotel. An exceptional experience!
Wolfgang and Christine Fettke
South Africa

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2009

As we were on our honeymoon, we wanted our trip to be special - not in our wildest imagination could we have thought that a hotel and its staff could make us feel like a true king and queen!

Firstly, we stayed in the Royal suite with its own Grand piano, butler staff, two lounges, private bar and PC (so we could email pictures immediately to our jealous friends!!)
Our private butlers were simply perfect ... they were friendly during our in-room dining and told us stories about when Nelson mandela stayed here, Michael jackson, The Black Eyed Peas ... which just made us feel even more special! They also left us alone when we were eating so we didnt feel like they were hoverring over us at all ... it was an ideal balance of service and privacy

This level of attentiveness was echoed throughout the whole hotel - even at breakfast, we were met with a smile, the jazz player sets a smooth and relaxed atmosphere and the choice of food to start the day is mind blowing ... fresh, healthy, naughty and nice ... its all there! ... So tastey, so varied and all so tempting!! we never ate lunch ... simply because we were always still too full from brekkie!

A combination of the African hospitality and friendly nature alongside a well oiled and slick operation ... we genuinely never wanted to leave ... we were comfortable, safe, cosy, pampered and having the time of our lives!

If you are going, you'll be 100% satisfied ... make sure you dine in the Kings tower ... its a unique experience where we had an exclusive, private table for two set in the highest central point of the hotel, overlooking the pool and the surrounding area! The staff lit candles on the stairs up to our romantic setting and served our food to us as if we were the only people in the hotel ... gentleman, if you wanna impress your lady ... then THIS IS IT ... intimate, classy, personal and memories we'll never want to forget!

As im writing, im remembering more and more magical moments ... we planted a tree as part of the hotels treat for all honeymooners ... we used the gym facilites which were great ... I work out regularly, but never whilst over looking one of the greatest golf courses in the world with the odd wild animal running across the green!

Even the shuttle service (which is free) running from The Palace to different hotels and the entertainment zone was so efficient ... we never waited more than 5 mins (if at all)

Having been to many destinations around the world, on both a professional and leisure basis ... this ranks as my greatest experience ever ... it exceeded my expectations simply because I never expected a hotel to offer such service in a paradise location ... it all feels like a dream!

What a venue, what a place, what great people, what a holiday ... I'm never gonna go on holiday again ... in fear that it wont compare! My life has peaked at the Lost palace in Sun City!

Thank you to everyone there for allowing us to start married life so magically

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sandman100
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Herewith we would like to thank you for our stay on the 27th of July at The Palace, Sun City.

Our stay in your World Class Hotel coupled with members of staff whom we come in contact with was not only friendly but also approachable and very efficient, which made it memorable event and we enjoyed ever moment. From the moment we arrived everything was exceptional. We were most impressed with the hotel and the extraordinary attention to detail. This was truly a magnificent experience which won’t be forgotten.

Kind Regards.
Wayne & Ancia Schrὅder

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2009

My wife and i had the opportunity of visiting SA and particularly the Palce of the lost city for the first time.The palce is a marvel,with its beauty and architectural masterpiece making it one of the best hotels in the world.Actualy we are planning on a second visit, we cannot just get enough of the palace!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2009

As you drive from Johannesburg you wonder when will I get there and what will it be like and then you drive through the gates and up the hill and catch the first glimpse of The Palace and it's just amazing. The hotel is simply breathtaking. Everything from the drive up to the entrance with it's huge animal sculptures, the walk through the huge wooden doors to the jawdropping ceiling mural and paintings in reception, the service upon check in, the restaurant chandelier, the pools, the rooms, the small touches at turndown, the breakfast in the morning - IT IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD that I've had so far, the grounds and views from the tower. Everything is simply amazing.

It's unfortunate that I was only able to spend 1 night in this oasis, it's one that I would love to return to again very soon and spend longer exploring. A trip to South Africa isn't complete without a visit to this amazing hotel. Spoil yourself, it's worth it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The Palace of the Lost City
Sun City
North West Province
Telephone: +27 (14) 557 4301
www.suninternational.com

By Dallace Jolly

I am without a doubt one of those extremely fortunate people who has a job which is my passion. As hard as I work to meet deadlines, I am allowed to play just as hard whilst I am doing my ‘job’. This last weekend was one of those occasions. Sun International invited my children and I to be their guests for the weekend at The Palace of the Lost City in Sun City. For obvious reasons this was one of those invitations that only a complete fool would decline.
Driving up to the spectacular Palace I felt the warm buzz of excitement rising up and the stresses of life in Jozi fade away.
Once our luggage had been taken care of with lightening speed and we had wiped away the remnants of our journey with warm cloths and cool cocktails, the charming General Manager Chris van Dam ushered us into the VIP Check-In Room. It was then that the (totally unexpected) surprise of a lifetime was revealed to me ¬ we would be spending our weekend in The African Suite, which is usually occupied by the likes of Oprah Winfrey and the late Michael Jackson. I had definitely died and gone straight to heaven.
The suite is breathtaking and has every conceivable luxury: a Jacuzzi on the enormous wrap-around as well as Jacuzzi baths in both en-suites, a steam room, a giant plasma TV in the lounge with full DSTV, a fully equipped study area, a small private kitchenette with butler’s entrance, a Brian Steiner baby grand piano, picture perfect views and so much more than I have space to list here.
Once I had managed to slow my heart rate down to a healthy pace once again, my weekend of a lifetime began. To their delight my boys were whisked off to the Magic Company by Martha from Thula Baba Babysitting whilst Mom strolled down to the Crystal Court for High Tea. Afternoon tea has never before had the appeal that it did here: perfect crustless sandwiches, sweet treats and an astounding choice of teas in an elegant atmosphere, cemented my euphoria. I floated up to the Royal Salon (tucked away on the second floor) next for a much-needed Deluxe Pedicure.
I was well and truly into my African Queen persona now and looking forward to dinner at The Orchid in the Main Hotel. Miraculously my boys were waiting for me bathed and ready for dinner when I returned to our suite ¬ Martha was a genius. Once our butler had served canapés on our patio, a car was waiting downstairs to delivers us there safely. As always our favourite dishes at The Orchid (sushi and Peking Duck) were enjoyed with gusto. Again, a driver was waiting to return us to the lap of luxury safely after our meal.
At this point any ideas I had of slipping off into dreamland went out the beautifully carved double wooden doors. My sons felt that a session in the steam room followed by a Jacuzzi bath and a little tinkle on the baby grand was in order, so bedtime was quite a lot later than usual, but on the flip side they actually had to be woken for breakfast the next morning! Aaah, breakfast...silently the butlers had laid out our breakfast and we woke to a magnificent spread in our dining room with the sun pouring through the windows. In perfect unison Martha arrived to take my boys to Kamp Kwena for the day and Nora from the Royal Salon arrived to pamper me with a Reflexology Foot Massage. The next 45 minutes were pure bliss.
After freshening up in my shower room (with 12 shower sprays) I met with Slots Manager Wayne Duck for a quick lunch at Santorini next to the Cascades pooldeck. Wayne is a regular here and his own cutlery engraved with his name was laid once we had ordered our Catch of the Day (yellowtail for me and Cape Salmon for him) – something I am told Santorini does for all its regulars, what a nice touch!
Sadly, lunch had to be a rather short affair as we were off on a game drive with Game Trackers that afternoon. I was met at the Welcome Centre by Martha with my boys, who were fed, watered and ready to spot game. Gift, our enormously amusing guide for the afternoon ¬ he actually tasted the elephant dung ¬ skilfully ensured we saw hippo, rhino, elephant, lynx, warthog, zebra, wildebeest, hartebeest, springbuck, water buck and more. When we were safely returned to the Palace my boys were in need of a short pre-dinner nap after such an action-packed day.
I, on the other hand, was off to a wine tasting with Sun International’s Group Sommelier Georgio Meletiou. Georgio is another fortunate being like me whose job is his passion and he made the 20 guests feel relaxed and entertained. In grand style Georgio performed the art of sabrage (opening a bottle of champagne with a sabre) and proposed a toast to a tasting which was both great fun and hugely informative.
Our dinner reservation that night was at the dramatically striking Villa del Palazzo. The menu caters for all tastes from macaroni cheese and spaghetti bolognaise for my boys, to beef Carpaccio and duck for myself. The setting is impressive and echoes the luxury which is evident throughout the Palace of the Lost City. After ice cream and tiramisu we were all ready to collapse once again into our ridiculously huge, comfy, rose petal strewn beds.
This was without a doubt one of the most extraordinary weekends of our lives, one which will not soon be forgotten. But I took away so much more than that after our stay. I realised that Sun City is a holiday destination which is hard to rival in South Africa, purely because of its diverse range of activities and facilities. I could happily have spent a week there with my sons without being stuck for something to do and I intend to make this a regular holiday destination. Even if I can’t be the African Queen in the African Suite!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dallace_jolly
Reviewed September 5, 2009

This was the second time staying there for me, but we'll newer go back there paying 1.000 USD per nigt for a family room in the winter time again, it was just too cold. Brrrr!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Safari Lodge Hotel & Convention Centre
Cabanas, Sun City
Cabanas, Sun City
#4 of 6 in Sun City

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!