“A World of Opulence”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed July 30, 2009

On arrival you enter a "new world" of luxury, opulence, decadence and sheer extravagance. Where detail of architecture, art and design brings attention to new detail everytime you walk through a public area, restaurant, guest room or even the pool area. From the jungle themed dome in the foyer to the mosaic murals or even tapestries, the hotel has been designed to emcompass every last detail.

Travelling with two teenagers and a 10yo we managed with a king size bed and 2 decent trundles. The room was very comfortable with a great sized bathroom that allowed one child to be showering whilst somebody else was using the vanity. There was ample room to store luggage in this area.

The inclusive breakfast was sensational and the service is probably the best we've had anywhere in the world. An unbelievably first class establishment.

Everything about this hotel is magnificent. My children did prefer to be down at the Entertainment Centre, which is adjacent to the Cascade Hotel. However there was a shuttle service running regularly for drop-off and pick-up.

We did choose the more family friendly restaurants at the Entertainment Centre, primarily to keep the kids happy with menu choices.

The Pool Area was magnificent and was ideal for families with toddlers. The Lost City Golf Course was a challenge and ranked in the top 10 courses in the world.

It's worth an elevetor ride and a few stairs to reach the tower at the Palace. Spectacular views of the Sun City Resort and Golf Courses are offerred.

We loved everything about the Palace, however the kids would prefer Cascades next time due to its close proximity to the Entertainment Centre, Family Restaurants and Gary Player Golf Course and Health Club. Cascades also had a fabulous pool area but not in the same class as the Lost City.

The Wave Pool is adjacent to the Lost Palace.

The Palace really is a sensational destination.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed June 19, 2009

This is a charming hotel with a beautiful lobby. My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the space and old world charm of our room and felt pampered.

The buffet breakfast and afternoon tea at Crystal Court in the hotel are lovely with a good spread and we were impressed by the good service of the staff.

Going to the entertainment centre is also easy. All we had to do is to board the green or brown buses that stop right at the entrance of the hotel. However, I must say that there isn't much that the entertainment centre offers if you are not interested in going to a casino. There are some good shops, but I wouldn't consider this an interesting shopping area.

My friend and I also tried the back massage (in our room) and enjoyed it very much.

On the whole, I think this is a good hotel for a posh romantic getaway or R&R. However, for families with children, I would recommend other alternatives.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed June 2, 2009

It was a buityfull time with great dinner and perfect wine, also the golf cource is great

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Kind of Las Vegas. In the middle of nowhere. There is a nice pool, called walley of waves, but it was closed on our second day due to winter time maintenance. There is nothing to do if you don't like the gambling, golfing. If you would like to have a massage, you have to go to the other hotel's spa, or you can have it in your room or at the pool. The Sun City Hotel is newer and nicer and closer to the shops. There is a shuttle between the hotels. The Cultural Village was a special african experience with the dance performance and the african style dishes was served around the fire. The Palace exterior is very nice, but the rooms are a bit dated. The Pilanesberg National Park is right beside Sun City. You have to go several times if you really would like to see the big five. But I really enjoyed it!

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I was lucky enough to join friends and colleagues in Sun City, South Africa for the annual ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) International Destination Expo March 15-18, 2009. What a great place! I chose to stay at the Palace because I decided to treat myself! Beautiful resort, I loved the grounds and the pools are beautiful. Not sure if I would send clients there only because it is more of a getaway for South Africans or for business retreats. It does have plenty of things for families to do, but it's just not what we travel to South Africa looking for. Now, if I worked with more corporate clients and they needed a conference center and place to stay-this would be high on the list for sure.

My room was huge!! King size, four poster bed, a sitting area, the bathroom had a seperate shower and tub, large closet, and very nice vanity area complete with a makeup mirror. I also had two sets of sliding doors that opened up to a very small balcony which looked out over the beautiful grounds. I went during the end of their summer, so everything was very green and lush and tropical. I could hear the birds and watched the monkeys play around outside. Room service was great, they came and turned down my bed each night with a robe and slippers placed out for my use. Breakfast was included in my rate, and it was the best breakfast I've had in a long time! I sat outside every morning and had my breakfast because I was sucking in all the outdoors I could!

One morning I decided to take a walk around and explore a little bit. I found a trail along the Buffalo wing that led me over waterfalls and deep into the grounds. There was no one else out on the trail and it was so peaceful just walking along listening to the sounds of the jungle and I truely felt like I was miles away. It was a great way to start my morning before I had to go in to all of my classes that day.

The conference center is connected to the Cascades hotel, so from the Palace you will need to take one of the shuttles, but they come around very frequently so this was never an issue for me. All in all it was a pleasant experience and a wonderful place for our meetings!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Firstly the good things:

1. Breakfast is amazing, so much choice on offer, and very well presented.
2. The architecture is stunning, makes you feel that you really are in a palace.

Now, the bad things:

1. The room was very worn indeed. We were staying in a "luxury" room, but it was very tired looking and dated. The shower was often cold, and the plug didn't work in the sink. The choice of TV channels was very limited. In general the room was no better than a room in an old Travelodge or Holiday Inn hotel. When you spend a lot of money, you expect something better, especially in a place that keeps reminding you that you are in "one of the leading hotels in the world" as they put it.

2. We found some of the staff quite abrupt and even rude, when making simple enquiries.

3. When we arrived in our room, there were no dressing gowns, and the mini-safe was unlocked and only partially stocked (which would mean that we would be charged because they would have thought we used the mini-bar). It took three requests at reception to get this resolved. Every time we were told that it would be resolved straight away.

4. The place was very noisy. Big stone and marble corridors amplify the noise in night when you are trying to get to sleep.

Overall, a very average experience. Certainly not a "world leading" hotel, although in appearance it does look the business. This was by far the most expensive place we stayed in while we were in South Africa, but other places were so much better than The Palace (better rooms, more attentive staff). Also, the adjacent Entertainment Centre is very poor. You'll find a lot more entertainment in an out of town delevopement in most UK towns and cities.

I've never felt the need to review a hotel until now, but we left The Palace feeling disappointed, and glad to be returning home.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2009

The Palace is a beautiful looking hotel with stunning architecture in all public areas. Breakfast has a huge choice and food within the hotel is of a high quality. Service in all areas is excellent and the ratio of staff/guest is very high. Sun-beds around the beautiful pool are extremely comfortable and transport in and around Sun City are complimentary and efficient. However, there are a few points that need addressing:
1. Guest rooms are old-fashioned and the toilet smelt of urine. Water pressure is inconsistent to the point where the shower water frequently stops or cold water stops with the risk of scalding!

2. We found a few ants each night in our bed.

3. Bees were all around the breakfast food.

4. The sun-bathing area is in the shade by 2.30pm and when I requested to move to the other side of the pool which was in full sun, I was told that this was not "procedure." I was in Sun City for the sun and therefore the hotel should have tried to accommodate this! I was forced to move to the Valley of the Waves public area with uncomfortable sun beds.

All in all, we had a lovely stay in The Palace but the above points need to be addressed. Also, anyone visiting Sun City needs to be prepared for the "Disney in Africa" concept which does come as a culture shock after the african experience of a game drive.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Safari Lodge Hotel & Convention Centre
Cabanas, Sun City
Cabanas, Sun City
#3 of 6 in Sun City

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!