“Beautiful Place in South Africa!”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I was lucky enough to join friends and colleagues in Sun City, South Africa for the annual ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) International Destination Expo March 15-18, 2009. What a great place! I chose to stay at the Palace because I decided to treat myself! Beautiful resort, I loved the grounds and the pools are beautiful. Not sure if I would send clients there only because it is more of a getaway for South Africans or for business retreats. It does have plenty of things for families to do, but it's just not what we travel to South Africa looking for. Now, if I worked with more corporate clients and they needed a conference center and place to stay-this would be high on the list for sure.

My room was huge!! King size, four poster bed, a sitting area, the bathroom had a seperate shower and tub, large closet, and very nice vanity area complete with a makeup mirror. I also had two sets of sliding doors that opened up to a very small balcony which looked out over the beautiful grounds. I went during the end of their summer, so everything was very green and lush and tropical. I could hear the birds and watched the monkeys play around outside. Room service was great, they came and turned down my bed each night with a robe and slippers placed out for my use. Breakfast was included in my rate, and it was the best breakfast I've had in a long time! I sat outside every morning and had my breakfast because I was sucking in all the outdoors I could!

One morning I decided to take a walk around and explore a little bit. I found a trail along the Buffalo wing that led me over waterfalls and deep into the grounds. There was no one else out on the trail and it was so peaceful just walking along listening to the sounds of the jungle and I truely felt like I was miles away. It was a great way to start my morning before I had to go in to all of my classes that day.

The conference center is connected to the Cascades hotel, so from the Palace you will need to take one of the shuttles, but they come around very frequently so this was never an issue for me. All in all it was a pleasant experience and a wonderful place for our meetings!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 22, 2009

Firstly the good things:

1. Breakfast is amazing, so much choice on offer, and very well presented.
2. The architecture is stunning, makes you feel that you really are in a palace.

Now, the bad things:

1. The room was very worn indeed. We were staying in a "luxury" room, but it was very tired looking and dated. The shower was often cold, and the plug didn't work in the sink. The choice of TV channels was very limited. In general the room was no better than a room in an old Travelodge or Holiday Inn hotel. When you spend a lot of money, you expect something better, especially in a place that keeps reminding you that you are in "one of the leading hotels in the world" as they put it.

2. We found some of the staff quite abrupt and even rude, when making simple enquiries.

3. When we arrived in our room, there were no dressing gowns, and the mini-safe was unlocked and only partially stocked (which would mean that we would be charged because they would have thought we used the mini-bar). It took three requests at reception to get this resolved. Every time we were told that it would be resolved straight away.

4. The place was very noisy. Big stone and marble corridors amplify the noise in night when you are trying to get to sleep.

Overall, a very average experience. Certainly not a "world leading" hotel, although in appearance it does look the business. This was by far the most expensive place we stayed in while we were in South Africa, but other places were so much better than The Palace (better rooms, more attentive staff). Also, the adjacent Entertainment Centre is very poor. You'll find a lot more entertainment in an out of town delevopement in most UK towns and cities.

I've never felt the need to review a hotel until now, but we left The Palace feeling disappointed, and glad to be returning home.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2009

The Palace is a beautiful looking hotel with stunning architecture in all public areas. Breakfast has a huge choice and food within the hotel is of a high quality. Service in all areas is excellent and the ratio of staff/guest is very high. Sun-beds around the beautiful pool are extremely comfortable and transport in and around Sun City are complimentary and efficient. However, there are a few points that need addressing:
1. Guest rooms are old-fashioned and the toilet smelt of urine. Water pressure is inconsistent to the point where the shower water frequently stops or cold water stops with the risk of scalding!

2. We found a few ants each night in our bed.

3. Bees were all around the breakfast food.

4. The sun-bathing area is in the shade by 2.30pm and when I requested to move to the other side of the pool which was in full sun, I was told that this was not "procedure." I was in Sun City for the sun and therefore the hotel should have tried to accommodate this! I was forced to move to the Valley of the Waves public area with uncomfortable sun beds.

All in all, we had a lovely stay in The Palace but the above points need to be addressed. Also, anyone visiting Sun City needs to be prepared for the "Disney in Africa" concept which does come as a culture shock after the african experience of a game drive.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We stayed at the Palace from the 10 April for 5 nights and it was too short. The hotel is amazing, the staff very friendly, the location perfect and the rooms really 5 star. We booked a junior suite, room 750 and this was in the corner which was great esp. travelling with 2 small kids. The main lounge had a sleepr couch and was equipped with tea / coffee facilities, which was replenished daily. We received fresh fruits daily with some other treats like nuts etc.

The best part was the main bedroom with the king size bed, spacious bathroom and luxury finishes. The suite had 2 flat screen tv's, one in the main room and the other in the lounge for the kids. That was great, the kids watched their movies while we relaxed in our room. The suite had 2 spacious balconies with wonderful views of the golf course and waterfalls surrounding the property.

The Palace pool was huge and had an abundant of umbrellas and sun beds even over the busy Easter days. The pool was equipped with a lunch venue, bars and they even had massages. Their was a Easter egg hunt for the kids which was really good and kept them busy for a while. The staff at the pool and the managers were excellent with attention to detail to ensure all guests comforts.

The breakfast at the Royal Court is truly the best in the world. You have everything from cereals, fruit, eggs, omelettes, salmon and duck. The fresh fruit juices are really good and the staff help you with your plates to your tables and are vey obiliging. Our boys loved the Palace and did not want to leave. They loved the shuttles via the mercedes to the ec and other hotels in the complex.

All in all, the experience was phenomenal and we will def. return to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Hotel's name is Palace but without room service such as palace! there isn't any incredible service there,no coffee maker or tea maker in the room & you don't have free wireless internet.House keeper don't change the soap every day & they wait until it's finished,for watching TV you don't have many choice & you should choice between 8-10 channel.We were in the large group & we paid as money as other people in our group,but our room had a bad view only we could see a very big tree but other people had a nice view.
The restaurant has a good quality with excellent waiter I suggest you to take a cocktail in the afternoon, there it starts from 15-16:30,it's not complimentary but the price is reasonable.The breakfast is incredible & excellent too.
In business center you could find beautiful things,the prices are ok & I could say perhaps is cheaper than other city in South Africa.
I suggest you this hotel to others but you should consider which Items is more important to you

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed April 4, 2009

This hotel is absolutly amazing. Everything about it is grandiose. Its size, architecture, surroundings, decoration, wide and impressive public spaces, extra-large and quiet rooms ( all with balcony), impeccably clean, breakfast buffet like I have rarely seen ( you want duck , sushi, caviar, egg benedict, champagne for breakfast..its there over the regular egg, pancake, cheese, cereal, fresh fruits etc.) and last but not least, to top it all, extremely attentive and professional staff, beyond reproach, at all level.

Yes, it is in the middle of nowhere. About 2 hours drive from Johannesburgh. That might be its only downfall or, on the contrary, exactly the point. Once you're there, your first and only concern is to enjoy everything Sun City has to offer.

If boutique hotel are your preference, this would not be the place for you. But if you want to experience the surroundings of kings and queens on their everyday life, you must spend a few days at the Palace. And by the way, their golf courses are quite challenging!

Helene and Andre, from Canada

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Top of the mountain, this hotel gives you a hack of a view up there, only residents and tour groups could get into the sand beach, which was an extra to the stay. Massive buffet breakfast and the best in south africa i reckon, the service i received in the restaurant was gold, but the check out was an utter disaster. First of all, you will see a lot of group checking in at 4pm ish, please, avoid that time approaching the concierge and the reception. You will be crowded with tonnes of people, with loads lining up for check in and maps. I was there at appoximate 4pm for check out, 2 at the counter serving group/tours and there were actually staffs (some managers) running in and out the back office, couldn't be bothered asking a line like 'how could i assist you' as simple as that, NIL. Waited there for like 15 minutes before getting to the counter for check out. I ordered a salad at appoximately 1pm and that hadn't be posted to the room yet. The staff did not smile not did not greet me, just go straight in asking 'erm, what are you paying for'? it took at least 5 minutes just to sort out the in room dining bill. No 'thanks for staying' or 'loved to see you again'. How could this be a 5 star hotel. That check out wasn't a 5 star experience at all. Then comes the concierge. Asked for a map and they will just give you one. No further action taken like showing the different complex on the ground or introducing a couple of point of interests. Not good at all.

Room size was fantastic. Do not ever try to open the window and there ARE monkies/baboons watching ya. Corridors will get a bit dark at night times. There are lights, but it's just dim, they refer this to experiencing the atmosphere. Internet is at charge, but if you're on leisure, why bother knowing news outside this paradise?

The only up side to this place is the massive land and the activities involved in it. You can literally spend a week there not getting bored. Casino (well they named this an entertainment complex, with bar/pub, game centre in it), horse riding, helicopter rides, hot air balloon rides, tennis courts, golf courses free shuttle running up'n' down the different hotels, lovely pool etc.etc. I would love to go back to the sun city, but i don't think it would be for the palace.

• Stayed: March 2009
Safari Lodge Hotel & Convention Centre
Cabanas, Sun City
Cabanas, Sun City
#3 of 6 in Sun City

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!