“All Show and No Service!”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We booked The Palace of the Lost City, based on the raving reviews and publicity that the SunCity and the Sun international group has been getting.
I am sorry to say that this was the worst stay in a 5 Star Hotel me and my wife have ever had.Our introduction to the hotel was as transfer from Joburg airport to the Suncity with a friendly driver called Patty, organised by another gentleman called Madgwik from the concierge desk. (Sadly the only 2 people the knew what service with a smile meant).
As soon we got to the checkin counter, a snobby man asked us to go to another counter to be served, although pretending to be busy he was not doing much. The rooms were big but dirty, the bathrooms were the same, the bathroom sink kept clogging every time we tried to use it and no one did anything about it. My booking included breakfast and I must say the spread was ok, but the staff there was just standing around, no one even offered to pour us a coffee for the second time. We decided to visit the Grill Restaurant Salt and Pepper which has got raving reviews only to find out that it had hopeless service too, we had walked in at 7:30 pm and did not manage to get out till 9:30 pm due to the slow service, even after asking for the bill several times, we did not get the bill till we walked up to the register. To make matters worse, there was a power failure at 1:00 am in the morning and no one did anything to even turn on the generator till about 6:00 am, neither did anyone inform us of anything, even the phone lines were down for the whole night and half the day. After all this each and every staff that we came in contact with expected a tip and I know its Africa and people expect tips, but even after paying them the tip, people did not do their jobs.
No free internet, with is quite surprising for a 5 star place like this considering we had free internet in the Bush when we where on safari.
The worst Service ever, I will never go to Sun City again because of the culture there and will think twice to book any of the hotels from the Sun International Group.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this place, instead if you want to visit a casino go the the Emperor's Pala...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
12  Thank NSolanky
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Palace of the lost city, I was deeply disappointed when reading your account of your recent stay with us as we pride ourselves and are known for only offering the highest level of service and standards within a truly unique 5 star facility. Your comments and concerns have been distributed to the relevant parties for further investigation.

I do hope you will contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your review and will reconsider that one day we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel, so that you can truly experience the levels of service and customer focus we are international renowned for.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My Wife and I took advantage of the Winter break special,and stayed for a night at the Paace hotel,part of the Sun City Complex.From the time we parked and got escorted to reception,where we were welcomed and given a refreshing drink,to our beautiful room,overlooking a green forest,everything was absolutely first class.The breakfast which was included in the tarriff,really needed to be singled out,as the choices were nothing short of unbelievable.All in all a really great stay,at a very reasonable rate.Highly recommended for jaded travellers.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Palace of the lost city.
My team and I are pleased you and your wife have had a very special and enjoyable time with us.
We look forward in being able to welcome you back for your next visit and perhaps a longer break in the not so distant future.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

When you come down on the road that leads to the hotel and get to it's higher higher point. the main entrance of this hotel hits you like a dream. The services, restaurants bars and the casino compliments the whole experience. As I read in other reviews, it can be a little apart but perfect for an OASIS stop while visiting other main cities in the continent. Enjoy cocktails at the main bar or around the pool, hang at the beach or explore the casino. If you take the sunrise elephant ride be sure to be early. Have a safari in the evening and note to self! book a round of gulf for him in advance and a spa for you right after the safari. Staff comes from all over the continent, very attentive and willing to share experiences. Amazing, will definitely visit again:)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MichelleCanes

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review and I am very pleased that you have had such
a memorable and enjoyable experience. I will be passing on your compliments and feedback to the relevant members of my team and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Fabulous hotel on the whole good service, food excellent at each of the various restaurants.

Good base and Sun City is great location for a break but overall is limited unless you are heavily into Golf and Gambling.

If you expect Sun City to be the Las Vegas of South Africa you will be disappointed BUT the 2K Zip wire, Predator World, Sunrise Elephant Ride are all great events to experience.

Sun down on top of the Kings tower is also worth a look.

Overall worth a visit but unless your into your Golf then 3 days is about the optimum time before exploring further a field

Room Tip: Pool View rooms are pretty god and well spec'd
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and very positive comments. My team and I hope to be able to welcome you back for your next holiday.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Palace is still the most breathtaking hotel we have visited yet. This coupled with the excellent service from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. We are fortunate to be a few hours away from The Palace so it’s easy to take for granted. On a side note, glad to see the other hotels and the entire resort going through an upgrade its been needed.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review and very positive comments. My team and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future. You will be pleased to note that several upgrades to facilities are underway and I encourage you to enjoy them on your next visit.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I fell in love with this hotel in all its splendour. Our room was comfortable and on the other side of the beautiful elephant sculpture which I personally think is the quiter side of this hotel. The views from the tower is amazing! The breakfast staff were extremely friendly and service exceptional. The buffet was out of this world and the highlight of my mornings. We had a few transport hicups however I trust that these have been delt with as we informed the managers of this via their survey. All in all we had the best time ever and should the opportunity arise again would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ZJordaan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Palace of the lost city.
I have shared your feedback with my team and we do hope you will be able to return to our Resort to enjoy yet another exciting vacation.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Sumptuous, extravagant and excellent customer service! The meals were fantastic, pools were delightful, and the surroundings were gorgeous if not slightly over the top! Excellent value for money and we really enjoyed our time here. Best buffet breakfast I have ever experienced; I felt like a naughty, but up judged, child!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kitty_kat_65_17

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I have passed on your comments regarding the food offering to my Executive Chef and shared your review with our service team. We hope you will return to the Palace soon and enjoy more of what is on offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sun City
Safari Lodge Hotel & Convention Centre
Cabanas, Sun City
Cabanas, Sun City
#4 of 6 in Sun City

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!