“AMAZING!!!! WAY TO GO SOL”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Dallas, Texas, United States
“AMAZING!!!! WAY TO GO SOL”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

One of my favorite hotels on the planet! I'm a safari hunter so it would be natural for me to love this place. Every thing about to it first class. One morning I went to the spa and got on a treadmill. Standing by my side the whole time was a waiter with a silver tray that held a glass of water and other glasses of assorted juices. I was impressed...and I'm not easily impressed. A FABULOUS hotel. Don't miss it!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gbusiek
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback.
My team and I are very pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us and we look forward
in welcoming you back on your next holiday.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pretoria
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I had our first stay at The Palace during our anniversary week-end of 3rd may 2013. To cut a long story short, we were charged a double payment and nearly a year later we have not had our reimbursement, let alone anyone contact me back with regard to this query.

Our room was comfortable, although in need of a renovation and cleanliness was not at its peak. Hotel is beautiful yes but customer relations are severely lacking....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MartinelliJulia
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback, Please can you provide us with your contact details or contact the hotel directly so that we can have further information on your report as we are not aware of a pending refund at this stage.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Palace has extraordinary settings. The layout with multiple waterfalls make for a calming and luxurious framing. The breakfast is flawless (haven’t had such a good one in years and I realize I have been missing it), the pool area huge and very pretty. It is one of the few places where you can walk around and enjoy the attention that has been paid to each detail. It may not suit every taste, but it is doubtlessly thought-through.

With its the proximity to the Valley of the Waves, it is also a great place to bring kids.
We stayed in the least extravagant rooms, which are still large and nicely furnished. Details, such as a Nespresso coffee maker in the room, do make a difference. The hotel’s age comes through in the choice of tiles in the bathrooms, etc. but frankly speaking, it did not bother us in the larger context. The biggest set-back for the cheaper rooms is the lack of view from the rooms at the lower floors that are not facing the pool area or the Valley of the Waves.

As should be the case in a five-star facility, the most-part of the staff as well as all of the upper management take the responsibility of delivering great service seriously. Some things are not possible to fully control, but the difference between a top-notch place and one that is not quite up there is the ability to deal with such instances and reverse negative situations. We had a major scare after an incidence with our two-year-old on the first day of our stay. Yet, we left with predominantly positive memories.

I will say that my grading does not come completely without reservations:
I missed changing rooms at the pool area, not least since you have to pass through the main restaurant to get there. I also missed an inhouse gym and ATM, but it should be noted that both those things are available at a short shuttle bus ride’s distance.
The most serious reservation comes from that some of the staff show a bit of a “better than thou attitude”, which really doesn’t serve the place and which means that higher levels have to work unnecessarily hard at compensating for their failing co-workers. It would serve the total experience better if the focus was to get things right and make the guests feel special from the beginning.

But in total, based on our experience, the flaws can easily be forgiven and we look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at one of the higher levels.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Adfresa
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in writing about your recent stay with us.
My team and I thank you for your comments and feedback, the areas highlighted will be reviewed with the relevant departments. Most importantly we are very pleased your 2 year old enjoyed the rest of the holiday and we do hope to welcome you all back soon for another family vacation.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed for one night in a family room.

On entering the resort and the Palace one feels all the five star bells ringing with service coming at you from all directions. Our room was on one of the top floors and beautiful with views towards the golf courses and out towards the pool areas. However as already mentioned in other reviews one can see that the Palace is in need of some touch up and re-decorating. Our biggest complaint on entering the room was the instant smell of cigarette smoke. With 2 young children we immediately asked to be moved however were assured that all rooms were non smoking. We opened all the sliding doors in the room and set off to explore the complex which had numerous areas which were great for young children from the swimming pool to the wave pool and atrificial beach. The kids areas at the artificial beach was also fun although the water was rather cold and it needed some cleaning up.

The food and in particular the breakfast was truly amazing with every whim catered for at the breakfast. Getting back to our room a lot of the smoke smell had decipated and gone by the time we returned and the kids were ready for bed. The bunk bed as someone has already mentioned is in need of replacing but still did the job. I noticed in the morning that the person below us was smoking on the balcony which clearly was what was creating the smoke smell.

All in all, although it is rather pricey we enjoyed our stay except for the smoking issue.The resort is starting to look tired so given the price I will definitely keep my eye on reviews before I return.

That said what a place and setting!

Room Tip: Top level room with a view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pieman2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
Our Executive Chef and his team pride themselves in producing one of the world’s best breakfasts.
I do hope you will return sometime in the near future and notice the subtle changes and improvements made around the resort.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The Palace of the Lost City or just, "The Palace,' is a large hotel in the Sun City. It is extravagantly designed and the lobby, dining areas and rooms are spacious and comfortable. The immediate grounds have a large number of artificial waterfalls that have water pumped up.

The service is professional and the food very good. However business is perhaps a bit slow since casinos opened in Johannesburg and the property is a bit tired and in dire need of refurbishment. It isn't really shabby yet, but will be soon especially when you consider that this is a deluxe 5 Star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, for the views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank NirmalyaKE
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Palace of the Lost City as your hotel of choice during your recent stay at the Sun City Resort.
Your comments have been noted and I do hope you will return someday or perhaps send us your contact details.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Babymoon Holiday Feb 2014.

We loved the uniqueness that The Palace of the Lost City had to offer. The look and feel was completely Palacey. Large entrances, large open spaces, large comfy rooms, warm welcome, friendly staff, and the list goes on. It truly has a very unique offering and expierence.

However, The Palace is in dire need of some serious maintance before it becomes The Ruins of the Lost City. We experienced some rain the one morning and leaks were everywhere to be found. With other little tell tail signs.

Breakfast is fit for King and Queen. Truly the highlight of the Palace food. But go early to avoid the mad rush. Buffet dinner was so-so... but could be that I couldnt eat 1/2 what was on the menu. Palace Pool Pizza was trully dissapointing. Cocktails at Palace Pool was good though.

Rooms was large and comfy with lovely fluffy duvets. And Bubbly on ice to welcome us (we are saving that for when Zoe is here). Atough the cold shower the first evening wasnt so welcoming.

Also check that alarm isnt set for 12 at night before going to bed... luckily for us we just got into bed before it went off... else it wouldnt have been so funny otherwise.

Besides all the little things, The City of the Lost Palace was something I am glad to experienced and enjoyed the stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank actravellerbug
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately due to the heavy unforeseen rain experienced over the last 3 days the hotel had suffered some water damage which our engineering team are currently attending to.
I have noted and passed on your comments regarding the food offering to my Executive Chef. We hope you will return to the Palace soon and find further uniqueness and five star offerings.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My fiancée and I had the pleasure of returning to the Lost City in Dec 2013, following a 3 year absence.

It was a spur of the moment decision to see whether there were rooms available - and since it was peak season, there were none... Until I mentioned to the attendee that I was planning to propose to my then girlfriend of eight years! I showed her the ring and she vowed to move heaven and earth to help me realize my vision.

After 5 minutes on the phone with her manager, she beamed up at me and offered us the honeymoon suite at the normal room rate! My partner and I were whisked off to our room and were treated to a bottle of complimentary champagne and a fresh fruit basket.

The room was beautiful and the facilities were first rate. All of this made for a memorable getaway.

Thanks to the attentive staff!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Congratulations once again to you and your partner. My team and I are very pleased that we could have assisted in making your stay that much more memorable. We do hope that you will return to share more special memories with us.

Kind Regards
Safari Lodge Hotel & Convention Centre
Cabanas, Sun City
Cabanas, Sun City
#5 of 6 in Sun City

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!