“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My sister in law booked us a night in the Palace for my husband's 50th Birthday. To say this hotel is amazing is an understatement, it is utterly fantastic! The rooms are first class and the service second to none. The setting and views are spectacular. I would definitely recommend this hotel and am hoping to stay again for my 40th this year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Palace hotel as your destination of choice to celebrate your husband’s very special day. I am very pleased that you all have had such a memorable and enjoyable stay with us.

Should you be planning to return to our hotel to celebrate your own special birthday, it will be my pleasure to personally facilitate your booking requirements and or any other arrangements you may have. Please do not hesitate in contacting my office directly and I will be more than happy to assist.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Simply the best hotel in sun city. It is just like the disney land but having an African touch. The rooms are exellent and every thing is just extraordinary I recommend this hotel from my wonderful memories

• Stayed July 2012
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review and comments. I am very pleased that my team and I were able to provide you with wonderful and memorable holiday. We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I only spent a day at Sun City, but really enjoyed the surroundings. So I understand it, you cannot enter the Palace Hotel unless you are staying there, so it would be worth booking at lease 1 night here so you can have a look around -- it is really amazing and as other reviews claimed, really OTT, an experience unto itself.

An exceptional amount of work was done to make this place what it is, and there are no shortage of sights to take in, from the big (exceptional architecture, layout, and details, one example being the hand painted ceiling of the lobby's dome, which supposedly took 5,000 hrs complete) to the small (safari and wildlife decor everywhere -- even the pens in the rooms are shaped like tusks).

Overall, had a very peaceful and relaxing experience. I was unfortunately unable to eat at the fine dining restaurant due to lack of time and opening hours, but did try the tusk bar, where I found service to be top of the line and the lunch buffet to be absolutely delicious (despite there being a VERY small selection). I wish I had more time to enjoy this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I do hope that you will be able to include the Palace of the Lost City in your next trip and it will be my pleasure to personally assist in facilitating your booking request. Thank you, for taking the time in offering your comments and experience of our truly unique property.

Uberaba, MG
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Having returned to this hotel after 10 years, I was pleasantly welcomed with a room upgrade facing the pool and near the hotel lobby. The hotel decor can be considered kitschy, but it is certainly impressive. It is fun to spend some time spotting small details here and there which won't be noticed by a less attentive eye.
Breakfast satisfies every needs and tastes and offers a wide range of food selection. On the other side, rooms are already showing signs of age, and although still confortable, some rennovation should be planned for soon .
Note that during autumn/winter time, corridors at the hotel can be really chilly. Valley of the waves was closed for annual maintanance and there was also an Adam Sandler film being shot in location which meant some of the areas were closed or cramped with filming equipment.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the lobby area, as the hotel is quite big and some rooms can be really far...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Palace of the Lost City as one of your return travel destinations after 10 years. Your observations and comments from your recent stay with us have already been shared with my team and relevant parties. The detail of design, friendly staff and impressive décor applied to our beautiful hotel truly does justify a return holiday as there is so much to see. Unfortunately the corridors can be slightly chilly during our 2 months of winter but the open areas and our heated swimming pool more than compensates for our guests to still enjoy some beautiful sunshine average day temperatures of 24 Degrees Celsius and activities across the resort.

I look forward to welcoming you back and for you to once more enjoy even more of what our magnificent property has to offer.

wollongong
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my second stay at the 'palace' as my family and I had been there 15 years prior. So it was a big deal for us to be able to experience Sun City in all it's glory after so many years. My family and I booked there for 2 nights as it was my boyfriends 30th bday. He had never been before and we thought it would be a great experience much like we had had on our previous stay.

Unfortunately, it was a big let down! As CHERLY C pointed out in her review. There was a Hollywood movie being filmed while we were staying there and we were spoken to very rudely by the film crew...we were shooshed and treated like an inconvenience when we were the paying guests! My family almost missed breakfast as we were not allowed to pass through the main foyer while they were filming. We were treated as if we were intruding. We were NOT informed there was going to be a movie being filmed there during our stay and on top of that the water theme park was closed for maintenance. I feel extremely disappointed that we forked out a lot of money and everything was closed or shut off to us during our stay... I was also put out by the fact that the phones weren't working in the rooms and that I was staying on the 5th floor and had to go downstairs and ask for room service, it kind of defeated the purpose! or that we couldn't contact my family who were staying in different rooms/levels via telephone... Obviously, this is just a mild inconvenience to some but as it's supposed to be a 5 star caliber you don't expect to have to deal with all these glitches.

On a lighter note-The redeeming qualities of our stay were the awesome and attentive staff. They went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable knowing how put out we were by the goings on. There were quite a few disgruntled parties/guests being put out by the filming and I feel the staff really tried to over compensate for that which was greatly appreciated...When the staff found out it was Stevie's b'day they all came out and sang happy b'day to him and gave us a complimentary bubbly and cake...this really was memorable and we had a lovely dinner. I also had the best mojito's ever... If you love cocktails definitely try one or two...three! ;)

The breakfasts were AMAZING, food was incredible... everything you could imagine and more! (shame we couldn't have it in the main room like last time) The little touches in the rooms such as complimentary wine and fruit were lovely and the palace and grounds are just beautiful.

Overall I am sad that it didn't live up to the hype and I feel if everything was running smoothly...or just running... we would of had an awesome experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Firstly, allow me to sincerely apologise in the manner in which you were treated by the external crew on site and the filming of a movie whilst you were here. I am not sure why you were not made aware of this prior to your visit but rest assured that I have asked for this to be investigated.

Winter season on the Resort allows us to action required annual and routine maintenance programs and again I must apologise if this was not communicated effectively or you were not made aware of this as all this information and others is advertised on our website and confirmation details.

On the other hand I am grateful and do appreciate how you have taken the time to highlight the professional and attentive staff during your stay. Your review will be shared with all of our team who assisted in still making your stay memorable.
Please would you be kind enough to contact me directly as it will be my pleasure in discussing your next visit to our hotel with you.

Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The stay at this hotel was far below expectations. Swimming pool was very dirty, with dead flies floating all around & lot of dust & dirt on the surface of the water. Spa don't have sauna & jacuzzi. The steam room & gym is not in the hotel compound & that too on a chargeable basis. the drain of the shower room was choked. While taking shower the water overflowed & spoiled entire bathroom. I talked to duty manager kristina but nothing was resolved. In addition the property has become a bit old & that is reflecting in everything in the room for example the carpet had lost its sheen, the taps polish was faded, the furniture too old in a hotel which is member of the leading hotels os the world. In total bad experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mauji_13
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
I appreciate your feedback and have already passed on your comments of the Hotel and Resort facilities to the relevant parties concerned. It is disappointing that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay with us and rest assured that all aspects of your report will be investigated as we pride ourselves in providing the highest level of standards and quality expected from an International Five Star Hotel.
Regards,

Bilpin
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel is spectacular in it's setting. A wonderful fantasy and worth seeing. Rooms are beautifully furnished with stunning bathrooms. Plenty of space. Restaurant, service and food all first class. Staff very helpful and courteous. It's a very special kind of experience one that cannot be compared because it is so different. Ideal for any occasion and you have the amenites of the resort with lots of activities to suit all ages.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is indeed a great pleasure to read and share a complimentary review such as yours with my team. As a uniquely designed luxury five star hotel, we constantly strive to deliver memorable experiences such as yours.
My team and I thank you for your comments and hope you will return sometime in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sun City
Safari Lodge Hotel & Convention Centre
Cabanas, Sun City
Cabanas, Sun City
#5 of 6 in Sun City

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!