“Don't miss seeing the Palace if you make it out here”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I only spent a day at Sun City, but really enjoyed the surroundings. So I understand it, you cannot enter the Palace Hotel unless you are staying there, so it would be worth booking at lease 1 night here so you can have a look around -- it is really amazing and as other reviews claimed, really OTT, an experience unto itself.

An exceptional amount of work was done to make this place what it is, and there are no shortage of sights to take in, from the big (exceptional architecture, layout, and details, one example being the hand painted ceiling of the lobby's dome, which supposedly took 5,000 hrs complete) to the small (safari and wildlife decor everywhere -- even the pens in the rooms are shaped like tusks).

Overall, had a very peaceful and relaxing experience. I was unfortunately unable to eat at the fine dining restaurant due to lack of time and opening hours, but did try the tusk bar, where I found service to be top of the line and the lunch buffet to be absolutely delicious (despite there being a VERY small selection). I wish I had more time to enjoy this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

I do hope that you will be able to include the Palace of the Lost City in your next trip and it will be my pleasure to personally assist in facilitating your booking request. Thank you, for taking the time in offering your comments and experience of our truly unique property.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,111)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Having returned to this hotel after 10 years, I was pleasantly welcomed with a room upgrade facing the pool and near the hotel lobby. The hotel decor can be considered kitschy, but it is certainly impressive. It is fun to spend some time spotting small details here and there which won't be noticed by a less attentive eye.
Breakfast satisfies every needs and tastes and offers a wide range of food selection. On the other side, rooms are already showing signs of age, and although still confortable, some rennovation should be planned for soon .
Note that during autumn/winter time, corridors at the hotel can be really chilly. Valley of the waves was closed for annual maintanance and there was also an Adam Sandler film being shot in location which meant some of the areas were closed or cramped with filming equipment.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the lobby area, as the hotel is quite big and some rooms can be really far...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Palace of the Lost City as one of your return travel destinations after 10 years. Your observations and comments from your recent stay with us have already been shared with my team and relevant parties. The detail of design, friendly staff and impressive décor applied to our beautiful hotel truly does justify a return holiday as there is so much to see. Unfortunately the corridors can be slightly chilly during our 2 months of winter but the open areas and our heated swimming pool more than compensates for our guests to still enjoy some beautiful sunshine average day temperatures of 24 Degrees Celsius and activities across the resort.

I look forward to welcoming you back and for you to once more enjoy even more of what our magnificent property has to offer.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my second stay at the 'palace' as my family and I had been there 15 years prior. So it was a big deal for us to be able to experience Sun City in all it's glory after so many years. My family and I booked there for 2 nights as it was my boyfriends 30th bday. He had never been before and we thought it would be a great experience much like we had had on our previous stay.

Unfortunately, it was a big let down! As CHERLY C pointed out in her review. There was a Hollywood movie being filmed while we were staying there and we were spoken to very rudely by the film crew...we were shooshed and treated like an inconvenience when we were the paying guests! My family almost missed breakfast as we were not allowed to pass through the main foyer while they were filming. We were treated as if we were intruding. We were NOT informed there was going to be a movie being filmed there during our stay and on top of that the water theme park was closed for maintenance. I feel extremely disappointed that we forked out a lot of money and everything was closed or shut off to us during our stay... I was also put out by the fact that the phones weren't working in the rooms and that I was staying on the 5th floor and had to go downstairs and ask for room service, it kind of defeated the purpose! or that we couldn't contact my family who were staying in different rooms/levels via telephone... Obviously, this is just a mild inconvenience to some but as it's supposed to be a 5 star caliber you don't expect to have to deal with all these glitches.

On a lighter note-The redeeming qualities of our stay were the awesome and attentive staff. They went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable knowing how put out we were by the goings on. There were quite a few disgruntled parties/guests being put out by the filming and I feel the staff really tried to over compensate for that which was greatly appreciated...When the staff found out it was Stevie's b'day they all came out and sang happy b'day to him and gave us a complimentary bubbly and cake...this really was memorable and we had a lovely dinner. I also had the best mojito's ever... If you love cocktails definitely try one or two...three! ;)

The breakfasts were AMAZING, food was incredible... everything you could imagine and more! (shame we couldn't have it in the main room like last time) The little touches in the rooms such as complimentary wine and fruit were lovely and the palace and grounds are just beautiful.

Overall I am sad that it didn't live up to the hype and I feel if everything was running smoothly...or just running... we would of had an awesome experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Firstly, allow me to sincerely apologise in the manner in which you were treated by the external crew on site and the filming of a movie whilst you were here. I am not sure why you were not made aware of this prior to your visit but rest assured that I have asked for this to be investigated.

Winter season on the Resort allows us to action required annual and routine maintenance programs and again I must apologise if this was not communicated effectively or you were not made aware of this as all this information and others is advertised on our website and confirmation details.

On the other hand I am grateful and do appreciate how you have taken the time to highlight the professional and attentive staff during your stay. Your review will be shared with all of our team who assisted in still making your stay memorable.
Please would you be kind enough to contact me directly as it will be my pleasure in discussing your next visit to our hotel with you.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The stay at this hotel was far below expectations. Swimming pool was very dirty, with dead flies floating all around & lot of dust & dirt on the surface of the water. Spa don't have sauna & jacuzzi. The steam room & gym is not in the hotel compound & that too on a chargeable basis. the drain of the shower room was choked. While taking shower the water overflowed & spoiled entire bathroom. I talked to duty manager kristina but nothing was resolved. In addition the property has become a bit old & that is reflecting in everything in the room for example the carpet had lost its sheen, the taps polish was faded, the furniture too old in a hotel which is member of the leading hotels os the world. In total bad experience

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mauji_13
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
I appreciate your feedback and have already passed on your comments of the Hotel and Resort facilities to the relevant parties concerned. It is disappointing that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay with us and rest assured that all aspects of your report will be investigated as we pride ourselves in providing the highest level of standards and quality expected from an International Five Star Hotel.
Regards,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel is spectacular in it's setting. A wonderful fantasy and worth seeing. Rooms are beautifully furnished with stunning bathrooms. Plenty of space. Restaurant, service and food all first class. Staff very helpful and courteous. It's a very special kind of experience one that cannot be compared because it is so different. Ideal for any occasion and you have the amenites of the resort with lots of activities to suit all ages.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Palace_12, Manager at The Palace of the Lost City, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is indeed a great pleasure to read and share a complimentary review such as yours with my team. As a uniquely designed luxury five star hotel, we constantly strive to deliver memorable experiences such as yours.
My team and I thank you for your comments and hope you will return sometime in the near future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My partner and spent the last weekend in May at The Palace and whilst we were treated very well by staff of the hotel and the rooms were nice, a couple of issues really spolit our break!
The Valley of the Waves was closed for maintenance (which we were warned about), there was a croupier strike so very few tables were open for gambling (an unforeseen event I understand)
but the main issue was that a Hollywood movie was being filmed at the Palace and we were preventing from certain areas like the Crystal Room where we had specifically wanted to experience High Tea! More importantly the hotel was teeming with at least 150 SA film crew as well as international crew who acted as if the hotel belonged to them and even had the gall to tell people not to speak in the vivinity of the film location.......which was smack bang in front of the only lifts to the rooms! One was made to feel we didnt belong there,,,,albeit we paid an arm and leg to stay there!! Quite frankly guests should have been warned and the hotel should have been closed to outsiders! Under the circumstances we were actually extremely bored!

2  Thank Cheryl C

Dear Guest,

Thank you, for taking the time to write your review and it is most unfortunate that during your time you had experienced certain inconveniences. I was very disappointed to read your account of the filming taking place at the hotel and have passed on these concerns to the relevant parties. Added, I have made enquiries with our reservations department as to why you were not advised of the filming prior to your arrival.

It would be my pleasure to have you and your partner stay with us once more and I do hope you will contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your next visit.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed at Sun City late May for 4 nights room overlooking pool.
First reaction WOW. The statues, the painted dome, the ornate floors, carpets, furniture, art work, chandeliers, royal albert china for high tea, fountains everything is so over the top.
Our driver dropped us off, we were given an assistant who directs you to reception, then if you like gives you a quick tour. She then takes you to your room and shows you around.
There was a complimentary bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit on the table which included pears, apples, orange, grapes and plums.
The room is large with dark african wooden furniture, lounge, coffee table, desk and chair, 3 phones, table and chair setting, tv cabinet with fridge inside comfortable and extremely clean. The bed is absolutely divine. There is large room with separate shower with great water pressure, toilet, vanity and bath separated from main room by 2 large sliding doors. There is plenty of plush towels, toiletries, lighted makeup mirror and hair dryer. There is also a large wardrobe with a safe inside. Free internet 100mb/per day you just have to put the code in each day.
A couple of negatives the constant sound from waterfall 3 floors down is very monotonous and irritating after a while, even through the glass sliding doors. The other being the mini bar had not been replenished at any time during our 4 day stay.
Breakfast has everything you can imagine including oysters and if you want even icecream just ask and they will get it for you. You won't need to eat the remainder of the day. This is the only restaurant in the Palace and all meals are served here. But at the entertainment centre there are many takeaway restaurants such as Whimpy, Nandos and our favourite Fish Away which sold nothing but seafood, loved it.
Being a Palace guest you get courtesy Mercedes take you anywhere around the resort.
The entire Valley of Waves entire area was closed for winter which was a disappointment because there looked like there was a lot to see and do in there.
We went to the casino one night over the weekend. If you think it is anything like Vegas you will be extremely disappointed. Not many machines and those that were there were all in use and people queued behind waiting for a turn. They also have a smokers room to play the machines and the table games.
We enjoyed our stay but if anything Sun City is very over rated. I am easy going and have written many reviews and try to be as honest as possible but I do have few negatives. As well as the couple listed above I felt like the ladies, especially in the restaurant and casino weren't really happy doing what they were doing. The 'good mornings and can I help you' seemed 'forced', it was something they had to do, but really over did it when there was senior staff around. They would seat us at a table for 4 and not remove the extra place settings, they had to be prodded by a supervisor. This should not happen in an expensive 5 star resort like this. But look out for Valdi the assistant restaurant manager he is absolutely wonderful and did make it feel like a 5 star experience.
We had problems with our golf booking it had been prepaid yet we we not on the sheet and told it had not been paid. The pro shop even checked with golf admin and they said we had paid for the Gary Player course and not the Sun City course, so we had to pay it again. Finally sorted it out 2 days later and received a credit card refund even though I paid cash. I could understand this if I were only playing the one course but not when the payment went through for 2 courses.
There are so many people working here and this could be part of the problem one person thinks the other will do it. The girl that showed us around on our first day didn't know the Valley of the Waves was closed, she told us we could walk down to the entertainment centre though there, we tried too but told it was closed. They also give you a weekly printout and on there it still had the opening time of the valley of the waves. I don't know how busy the resort was but on the wing we were on they were jack hammering walls to open the rooms up. This went on all day from about 9 am until 5pm. Even though the doors were closed there was dust everywhere. The staff were constantly cleaning it up but it was just so bad.
If it were truly a 5 star hotel these little hiccups wouldn't happen.
I don't think I would recommend the Palace to my friends I don't think the service is that what you would expect of a truly 5 star hotel. Maybe stay for a night just to experience it but you'd probably enjoy any other of the lodgings here at a cheaper rate.

2  Thank aussietraveller59

Dear Guest,

Thank you, for your detailed review and I appreciate your open honesty. I have highlighted your concerns regarding the sound of waterfalls around your room location, your comments regarding the resort feel, the casino facility and staff behaviors with the relevant department concerned. Our guest service and satisfaction is very important to us and do apologize should any of these areas had failed to meet your expectations.

We hope that you will return to the resort and enjoy many more of the wonderful facilities on offer during your next trip.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sun City
#1 of 13 in Rustenburg
Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge
Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge
#2 of 3 in Pilanesberg National Park

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!