Hodge Podge Backpackers Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Magia Guest House(Rustenburg)(Great Value!)
$51
Agoda.com
$47
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My brother and I were made to feel at home as soon as we arrived. The owners were friendly and hospitable and even lent us their own golf clubs.
We stayed there for three nights and loved it. We even saw a cerval cat in the tree at the back of the house.
A very quiet, peaceful and relaxing time.
The only small problem is that it was a bit hard to find.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2011

The Hodge Podge Lodge is a fantastic place to stay - offering beautifully appointed and comfortable cabins in the middle of a bucolic mountainous landscape. Antoinette and her family were in regular contact leading up to our trip, and took great pains to help us organise a jam-packed itinerary negotiating discounts on our activities and organising transport for us at competitive rates. As a tip to any travellers planning to arrive without a car, it really is worth getting in touch with her before you arrive to plan your travel schedule, as the lodge is some way out of town, and public transport in Rustenburg is not to be relied upon!

One of the most appealing features of the lodge was a beautiful open-air kitchen and dining area. It was a real pleasure to cook and eat here during the cool evenings, and we were able to use Antoinette's farmhouse kitchen to supplement the facilities and/or if the main cooking area was in use. we were also able to use her computer to access the internet (for free) and were generally made to feel like part of the family.

Don't be put off by negative reviews from the World Cup - this is an exceptional place to stay, and offers incredible value for money.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We can only say wonderful things about our stay in the Hodge Podge Backpackers Lodge. Antoinette and her family gave us a very welcome feeling. The accommodation was really nice, clean and more comfortable than others backpackers were I've stayed before. Supper and breakfast were more then ok! I can’t forget to mention the wonderful view on Magaliesberg mountain we had. But the most important thing for me was the cosy, relaxed and friendly atmosphere! If my planning allows me, I’ll definitely come back :-) Thanks Antoinette and family for the lovely weekend!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I booked to stay here for 5 nights during the world cup, the prices were above average for budget accommodation but booking quite late I had little choice.

I will start with the positive points; there are a couple of signs from Rustenburg, they let you in and out 24hours a day and it is a good place to meet people with an equal dislike for the way the property is run!

Throughout my stay I had only one hot shower, was moved beds three times (on one occasion my things were moved without me even being told), no heaters & no insulation in the cabins, there is no indoor communal area (it is very cold in winter - frost on the ground), no hot water or soap in the bar toilets, a limited supply of blankets, etc.

Staff did not seem to want to help at all - they just put signs up like 'Remember, this is a backpackers' or 'No refunds'

It's a nice part of South Africa and Pilanesberg is a great National Park, but consider some better accommodation!

This is the worst backpackers (and most expensive) I have ever stayed in (but I did meet some other great people)!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I think people need to get real here. The world cup was an incredibly busy time and towns like Rustenburg will never see demand like it again. We stayed during the WC period, however after all games had been completed at the nearby(ish) stadium.

We stayed in a three bed private room which was really nice, very comfy bed, good quality clean showers. We really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the place, the friendly oweners and the good service. If you are coming from or to Pilanesburg National Park then this is a good choice. It is also a nice place to stay if you are looking to explore the nearby mountains.

Although good value at 200R per person to Pretoria, steer clear of the recommended driver. He may have been friendly but his driving was erratic, he was racist, sexist and homophobic. However, being from the UK, maybe we are more aware of this.

Do not let reviews put you off this place if you are coming outside the world cup, it really is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends