“mid-level price but a little overpriced”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pilanesberg National Park
Golden Leopard Resort - Manyane
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The chalets are basic, but clean. Private braai area and nice bonus. There is an average to poor restaurant in the resort, so I would suggest going self-catering (Although breakfast was included in our booking).

The pool area is ok, and is a plus during the midday heat!

All in all its a basic resort at a mid-level price range. Kruger park offer much better value.

Would I go back: - Probably, purely because i enjoy Pilansberg game reserve rather than because I loved the resort.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnDB82

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We took our friends on their first trip to South Africa, as we have been in many game reserves and lodges throughout southern Africa. Manyane was the least expensive of all the lodges, but was really surprisingly good value. We each had a most comfortable and spacious chalet, with a small bedroom upstairs suitable for children. The restaurant provided excellent food and the service was top class - typically South African. We went on several self-guided drives, and were pleased that our friends are now hooked on South African game-spotting!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Overall, this is a rather disappointing resort located within the Pilanesburg National Park. It has a large caravan site with a shop and a few dozen self-catering chalets. We stayed in a family chalet, which was quite spacious, but basic and cold (there was only one small heater, located in the bedroom). There were mongoose living in the thatched roof, so we had to put up with scratching and squeeking noises all night.
The resort is basically just a restaurant next to a small swimming pool. We were there in August, so swimming was out of the question. Thankfully, there was a small playground for the kids, but not a lot else. The only activity proposed was an evening game drive for 40€ per person (very expensive compared to SAN Parks' 15€). We spent the day viewing game in our car, which is far cheaper!
The restaurant was good. As there weren't many people eating on tour evening, we were allowed to choose anything we wanted off the menu. The kudu steaks were delicious. Breakfast was good too, but there was no hot water for tea or coffee.
Surprisingly, there are large parts of the resort which look as if they haven't been used for 20 years, countless empty buildings which are totally overgrown, with smashed windows, falling to pieces. There is a sign for a spa, but it simply leads to a boarded up chalet next to a swamp.
My advice is to save your money and sleep in a lodge just outside the park.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Manyane is well-located with basic, clean rooms. We stayed in a studio room which was very cold and quite poorly lit. The common areas are better - with a pool and a restaurant. The food was not great. The booking office for game drives was very efficient and fixed us up with two drives - evening and morning. We just stayed the one night and then headed back to Pretoria and the resort was more than adequate for this purpose.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Smallgoat
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I was a bit nervous booking a safari tent - I haven't camped since a kid and don't remember loving it then, but I'm so glad I went ahead and did it. The MOSTLY GOOD: The tent is large, the beds are beds (not cots) and have comfortable matresses (the bedspreads are clean but a bit worn, and the beds are more narrow than a twin bed. I'm 5 ft 8 and was comfortable but tall or wide oppele might not be). The tent had a metal runner along the bottom, sealing bugs out. It had a fridge, a light (weak but great at night!), one 2 plug outlet, a fan, an electric tea kettle, a trunk/table and a bedside table. the floor was concrete and the tent had plenty of windows to zip up or down. they recently upgraded to wood doors that lock (old-fashioned heavy key, but loved that door lock). The tents are all under shade, and all facing nature rather than other campers. They also have a picnic table with chairs and a brazier. I thought this was great value! There's a small playground, nature paths, and a smal camp store (very handy!) Communal restrooms were close, clean and plentiful! The pool is tiny, more sutied to children (this is a great family place) but pretty and nice to look at over breakfast. By the way, don't both including the breakfast in your stay because it's the same price either way. The restaurant was good, the breakfast buffet had plenty of choices, even for a vegetarian like me! The staff are friendly but realize this is not a 5-star resort. THE BAD: When i checked in someone was complaining about their chalet not being clean from the last person and I had a bag of garbage that hadn't been taken out, but as soon as you let them know, they were happy to take care of the problem. Lightning had knocked the pay phone out and there's no public internet access. THE AMAZING: On the resort (more realistic to call it a campground) you will see plenty of wildlife without spending a dime extra. One morning I woke up at 5:30AM to snorting, I cracked open my tent door and 3 zebra were grazing less than 20 feet in front of me (I was in Tent 10 by the way). I almost tripped over a warthog, impala, monkeys and babboons were everywhere (although the babboons seemed to prefer the chalet side) and then there's the walking paths. They are about less than an hour long (round trip), uneven ground but clear and easy to follow, the dew will soak you in the morning and the best time to go is at first light 5:30-6am. The one behind the chalets is particluarly good. I saw griaffe (LOTS), zebra, warthog, birds, various deer species, a snake, butterflies and that about covers it (nothing aggressive is allowed on the grounds). Since Manyane (Man-Yon-EE) is right at the entrance to Pilanesberg you have onsite acess to the game drives. I went on 3, they were 300rand each and last about 2 hours. I saw the most on the 6pm drive but it's harder to take pictures (and it gets cold!), but I was fortunate enough to see something on each drive including lions, rhinoceros, elephants, hippo, wild dogs (extremely rare), wildebeest (very common), and an owl :)

Room Tip: Tent 10-right behind camp store
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank angelc74
Reviewed January 8, 2011

After reading the reviews, I was nervous about what to expect at Manyane but I was pleasantly surprised. The resort is quite large with different accommodations ranging from nice 4 bedroom brick, thatch-roofed chalets (in which I stayed with my family) to safari tents with shared bathrooms. The decor was fine- it had the safari look. The kitchenette was great with new appliances and granite countertops. There was one spacious double room, two single beds in a loft, and a nice patio area with a braii.

The dinner and breakfast buffets were great, but the wait staff were awful. We didn't get the water or wine we ordered until we were done with both dinner and dessert! The waiter said he had to search for the wine we wanted (but the wine list wasn't *that* huge) but I guess it was ok because the wine, Robertsons, was excellent.

The two pools were small but clean, and at night hundreds of impala hang out there to stay safe from leopards. The safari, which the hotel organized, was incredible. We actually saw a lioness kill a baby zebra right in front of the vehicle! We also saw giraffes, zebras, wildebeests, impala, springbok, warthogs, elephants, hippos, and more. It was definitely much better than Kruger where you have to drive forever on paved roads throughout the park and don't see as many animals.

I would stay here again- it seems to be much less expensive than the other limited options. Don't get lost- toward the end of the journey it's hard to see the sign for Pilanesberg National Park and Manyanye after you take a left at the petrol station.

Nearby Sun City is not really worth the visit. It's a tacky casino and non-residents can't visit the Palace.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Accommodation very nice but perhaps a bit dated which didnt matter. Facilities great but we had a power blackout at 7pm, ojnly just got back to room after game-seeking. Power didnt come back (not property's fault) but, considering what we paid, we got nothing in terms of being able to cook our dinner, watch tv, read a book etc. Asked staff next day whether they were prepared to compensate us in any way. Extremely reluctant to do so, had to argue, got a free breakfast, woo hoo not. If I managed this property I would have reduced the accommodation tariff to ensure guests raved about how niice the place is, which I would have done if I felt they empathised at all (which they didnt). Stayed the next night in two tent type chalets. Much better night. Electricity was irrelevant, had a fire (braai) watched the stars and had a quiet little wine and the cost was so much more reasonable. next time (and there will be) I would stay in tent for a lot less and a better experience. I know (as I said) it wasnt their fault the power went off but basically, the power was off for the whole time we were in our room. Poor attitude from staff. Basically they stink!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
#12 of 14 in Pilanesberg National Park
The Kingdom Resort
The Kingdom Resort
#2 of 6 in Sun City

Been to Golden Leopard Resort - Manyane? Share your experiences!