“Reasonable accommodation”

Peermont Walmont at Mmabatho Palms
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mafikeng
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 5 nights. There are not many hotels to choose from in the area. The hotel and room was clean and comfortable. Good size room and bathroom. Bar fridge in room which is very convenient as well as complimentary water daily. Walls not sound proof, luckily I did not have noisy neighbours and had to be up early. Could be a problem if you want to sleep late. Good variety at breakfast: eggs to order, sausage, mushrooms (the usual warm dishes), croissants and danish pastries, selection of cheese, cereals and nuts, fruit and joghurt, pancakes, waffles, apple fritters (yum yum) and toast. The quality of bread is not good. I think Europeans will definately not like the bread (" government bread"). Staff very friendly. I had to go twice to reception for them to activate my access card (no explanation given of why card was deactivated) so I do not know if it is a security measure. I had an excellent pedicure at the spa at very reasonable price (R130) and can definately recommend the spa. Had the best foot massage by Beatrice!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Peermont Walmont at Mmabatho Palms

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Went on invitation for the weekend. To book in was a nightmare .. phone get put down in your ears and nobody wants to help you .... struggle! phoned about 12 times before a confirmation for a room for me and my husband and a room for the kids. Waited two and a half hours for our food at the Restaurant on the Saturday night, food was dissappointing and not what it promised on the menu...Compliments to the General Manager for a birthday cake surprise on Sunday morning. Was the gym really under renovation for the weekend or is it always closed?

Room Tip: Ask the General Manager for assistance ....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The Tswana people have a saying, "The highest form of war is dialogue."

This brings such a sense of peace to the people in Mafikeng and at this fine hotel/ casino. This does not mean that they are slow - conversely they are attentive, kind, focused and energetic in their service delivery.

This was the first casino in South Africa and it has weathered the passing of the years very well!

I would sincerely recommend the hotel to anyone, be they on business, honeymoon - or simply travelling!

Room Tip: Be prepared to be awed by the people. Take some time to get to know them and you will be delighted...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Booked this hotel for a weekend respite. We arrived close to 2 hours before check-in time. We were traveling with a child so they were accommodating and got us a room. We were pleasantly surprised to find the room to be divided. There was a king bed then a privacy wall and two twin beds. This is perfect for families to have some privacy and to make sure the adults do not have to go to sleep when the kids do.

Unfortunately, this ended the positives of this stay. While the room was drab, it was at least clean. However, the bathroom was atrocious. The stopper was out of the sink, the toilet was corroded as was the shower. Worst of all, the shower mat was covered in mildew. It was quite disgusting. The shower had intermittent hot/cold water so you had to keep jumping back to not get burned/frozen. This made taking a shower very difficult. Finally, the shower was not sealed so we created a pond in the bathroom. When explaining this bathroom to a friend, he joked that it sounded like college. I had to laugh as I thought while taking a shower that the bathroom reminded me of my college dorm bathrooms. Very sad at supposedly a four star hotel.

The biggest problem for us occurred while trying to sleep. At 1:30 AM, the room next to us decided to have a party. It was very disturbing and was even disturbing our child. I found a hotel employee in the hall and she said she would notify the front desk. The noise only got louder. I then went to the front desk myself where I was told that security had asked them to be quiet. I asked them to fix the problem and went back to my room. After another 10-15 minutes, with the party still raging, I returned to the front desk. The lady told me she had called the party room and asked them to be quiet. She told me she tried to call me but I did not answer. Rather shocked, I informed her that, with a sleeping baby, we take the phone off the hook. I was astounded that a front desk would call the room of a guest complaining of noise at 2 AM in the morning. My second time at the desk, the manager had me watch as she called the noisy room then told me that was all she could do. Sadly, I had to remind her that it was the hotel’s responsibility to control inconsiderate and unruly guests to which she agreed. A little while later the party finally died down and we were able to get some sleep.

There were a few other issues along the way including the playground has an open pit that is a major hazard. However, the filthy bathroom and management’s incompetence in dealing with a loud party in the room next to us were the major problems. I stay in many hotels and am generally fairly forgiving. Based on previous Tripadvisor reviews and the fact that our room was only about R1000 with breakfast, I did not have the highest of expectations. Until the party and my shower the next morning, I intended on giving a three star rating. However, I had to ask myself if I would recommend this hotel to a friend and I clearly cannot thus the poor rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DaveLD
Reviewed June 2, 2013

First of all i had to phone in 3 times to get hold of someone in reservations to even make a booking. They kept me on hold for 10 minutes a time. When we arrived the check in service was very quick and efficient. However on our second day we ordered room service at about 3 that afternoon, first of all we couldn't phone directly to room service, we had phone reception to put us through to room service. We ended up having to go to the restaurant manager twice to find out where our food was. We only got our food at about 6 that night (3 hours wait for 3 toasted sandwiches) ridiculous!!
The serving dishes for breakfast were empty. But when it was refilled the food was very good

Then at about 12 that evening they tried to check someone else into our room. We were double
booked.
On top of everything else the atms in the casino were out of service. We had to sign up to be a winner's circle member in order to receive cash. Have you ever heard of a casino with no available atms????
I also had to clean off dishes when i wanted to play at the black jack table. I waited 15 minutes for a drink as well.

I will most definitely not be returning.

On the plus side the place is beautiful, just a pity their service is terrible. This place has a lot of potential.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn O
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I slept at Mmabatho Palms on 23 may for business. Upon check in about 2 people who checked in before me returned to say the rooms they have been allocated already have people in them. Was a bit concerned on how they got that wrong luckily my room had no one in it. My room was okay but couldn't help noticing that the carpet was not that clean. For dinner, I was disappointed to see that the buffet was exactly the same as what we ate for lunch earlier on. After dishing up you have to wait for a while before a waiter comes to take the order for drinks and I got my drink after I finished my dinner, the same happened with my lunch. The breakfast was okay. For lunch the following day we had to wait in a long queue to dish up, I thought that was the least I expected from a 4 start hotel. Not all is bad, the staff is friendly and ready to assist.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Kgothatso
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The hotel had a revamp as this is a major improvement from my previous stay. The dinner/breakfast, swimming pool and reception areas are fantastic. But the rooms are dated and the bathrooms have not been revamped at all. Electricity wires were open in my room - quite dangerous for children! Had a good comfortable sleep. Not really what you would expect from a four star hotel in South Africa.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business