“Le Mustn't”

Le Must Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2012

After having a lo-lo at Bi-lo, I asked for the best restaurant in Upington. I made a booking and looked forward to a nice meal this cold night - I was in a good mood. I arrived to find myself the first patron for the evening. However, my order was only taken after the next group had arrived and been served their drinks. Strike one. The menu looked ordinary and a bit pricy, but after reading the blurb about this being a meat country and the fish being frozen, I decided on an oxtail to get me warm. It arrived. It was crunchy - the frozen oxtail had not been properly defrosted, so I had fire and ice. I was not impressed. Round two arrived a while later. Overhot, and the only recogniseable oxtail were the bones - the rest was a oversalted tomato bredie. The baby marrow and patty pan veggies were raw and oversalted, the samp was dry and tasteless. The sweet potato was fine, but my palate was so assaulted by now that I could not appreciate it. I no longer had any desire to continue my meal, so I paid and left. For the price and the lack of nice, the Spur or the Irish tavern would have been a better choice! 10 years ago I was not impressed wiith Le Must, and I have reconfirmed that opinion.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

I took a group of 38 people to this resturant. The restaurant was advised before hand of our coming.

The fact that 38 people throughly enjoyed their meals says a lot. The food was stunning as was the service.

The medium rare rump I was served will take a lot of beating.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

The owner and staff are very friendly and has excellent food , I lived the Steak

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I think that guidebooks like Lonely Planet do Le Must a disservice by describing it as creme de la creme fine dining. That's not really accurate, though it may feel like that after trying the other Upington dinind options, which are mostly hole-in-the-wall sandwich shops and fast food. I came to Le Must for a late lunch and was surprised that there were only two other diners inside, and I had to search around quite a bit before I could find a staff member to help me. She was a bit slow in finally taking my order, but she actually was quite nice, and then later the owner of the restaurant came over, chatted with me for a while, and even ended up giving me a free small salad so that I could try the locally farmed and smoked cheese.

The style of the restaurant is really more like a rustic home than a fine restaurant. I sat outside, in a small alleyway leading to a courtyard that was filled with blooming flowers and at least 5 cats. Inside, it's cosy and antique-y, though the layout seems a might haphazard. But the most important part, my food, was excellent. Because it was only lunch, I opted for just an appetizer and a salad, and both were excellent: well cooked, creative flavor pairings, and fresh ingredients. The dinner menu items did seem, on the whole, to include a lot of standard fare, so don't come expecting a wild, new gastronomic experience. But for a great meal in a cosy and romantic setting, Le Must hits the spot.

1  Thank Marywhotravels
Reviewed March 8, 2012

What a pleasant surprise with absolutely great food! Le Must is a sophisticated, upmarket restaurant in Upington in one of the main roads of the town.

We had the rump and sirloin steaks with very interesting, specially prepared sauces. The food was well presented, friendly service from the waiter and the owner also personally checked upon us twice.

Le Must is a small restaurant and reservations will probably be a good idea as it was almost full on a Tuesday-evening.

Great experience and very well recommended.