All reviewsbig holedirect accesshotel is cleanswimming poolold world charma bit priceycape townold stylefeel welcomesouth africaroad tripmuseumdiamondconferencedamrushkindness
Reviewed January 7, 2015

I appreciated the fact that the hotel was located right next to the Big Hole as this was the purpose of our stay - to show our children the largest man-made excavation in the world and for them to learn more about the diamond rush. This was done en route back home from our holiday in the Western Cape. The parking area security guard kindly pointed out that we could walk from the hotel to the museum.
My son also loved the patch of grass in front of the restaurant where he and other kids could play. I did, however, notice a few disappointed children dressed to swim, only to learn that the pool was out of order.
Although the beds in our room were comfortable and the bedding clean, there were a few off-putting elements: the toilet seat had congealed cleaning fluid and other marks on it and the floor of the room, which seemingly had been cleaned, still had another guest's long black hair all over the place. Initially there were only two towels, but more arrived shortly after my husband phoned housekeeping. The towels were rather grey and one was stained.
But worst of all was the obvious cost-cutting and poor service of the restaurant. While relaxing on Monday evening, 29 December, our drinks arrived soon enough, but we waited ages for our food. Only after my husband got up and checked on the progress were our order brought to the table. The food was nothing to write home about.
Our breakfast experience the following morning was the most awful ever. We would have liked to sit at a window but couldn't find a single clean table in the whole restaurant, even though there were only two other tables seated. Each table was set, but either the table tops, the chairs or the floor underneath were still dirty. Because of the extra cost of R165 per head for the buffet option and because we weren't that hungry (I was still recovering from food poisoning picked up at another restaurant) we asked for the alternative menu. We were then given the dinner menu twice! Eventually, after we explained we're aware of other breakfast options, were the correct menus brought. After a long wait I had to ask for our order to be taken. Another long wait for the coffee my husband ordered. Another table, who were seated after us, received their coffee. Once again, I stood up and asked to be served. Our waiter told me that the smoothies ordered by my children take some time to make... but surely he could have brought the coffee before this.
Another server poured my husband a cup: it was ice cold. Then my guava 'juice' arrived, along with our kids' 'smoothies'. My 'juice' was a bright pink cordial-mix – not juice! A sip of the smoothies revealed it to not bear any resemblance to the smoothies we've made, bought or ordered before: it was a frozen flavoured powdered milk mix, there certainly wasn't any fruit in it. By that time, we've had enough, got up, checked out and left.
I agree with another reviewer: this is not worthy of a four-star establishment, nor of any Protea hotel.

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled with family
Bianca K, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2015

Dear samstravels2014,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor housekeeping standards in your room. I have addressed this with the housekeeping department, and all the issues that you mentioned have been rectified.

Unfortunately sometimes we need to close our swimming pool to treat it with chemicals and keep it clean. This usually does not take more than a few hours and is soon re-opened for our GUESTS to enjoy our pool once again.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience in the restaurant and wish to assure you that this is by no means the usual standard that we are proud to offer. There is no excuse for the poor service that you received on both occasions and the poor quality of the food. I have addressed all the points that you mentioned with our chef and food and beverage manager and we have put measures in place to ensure this does not happen again.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Kimberley again soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2015

I checked in yesterday. Hotel looks good at face value but room & restaurant shocking.

There is a tiny shower. The water outlet was blocked so we're basically standing in ankle deep water whilst showering. This overflowed into the small bathroom.

The element in the kettle was fully rusted. I waited almost an hour this morning after requesting a another one. Only after I complained to reception, did I receive a new one

The restaurant was shocking to say the least. I made reservations at 4pm for a table outside. There was no record of this.

We settled on the buffet. At 8.00pm some of the food was finished. Waited forever for more chicken & eventually got a small piece an hour later. Salad was also finished & by the time a new bowl of coleslaw was brought out, my meal was over. I can't comment on dessert except to say that this was also empty with no refills. We paid R130pp which was a complete waste of money. I will not be dining at the restaurant for the duration of my stay

The one positive though is the friendly staff who were most accommodating for all the hotels shortcomings

I was considering the Prokard but have changed my mind. I am here for the next 7 days, hopefully things will start getting better

Room 117

• Stayed: January 2015
Bianca K, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2015

Dear Preapillay,

Thank you very much for completing a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel Kimberley, I would like to apologise most sincerely for your experience on your first day here. We pride ourselves on delivering the best GUEST service, and it saddens me to hear that your experience at Protea Hotel Kimberley started off so disappointingly.

Our restaurant was exceptionally busy on Friday night, and while this is not an excuse for the poor service and long waiting period, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I would also like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the blocked shower in your room. Without our GUEST’s feedback regarding facilities in our rooms, we will not know when things are not working as they should. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and I am glad we managed to rectify the problem quickly.

I do hope the remainder of your stay has been a memorable one. Enjoy your last few days here and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2014

Located right at the big hole, the hotel has an antique theme throughout, something I like. Rooms are well appointed and continue the charming theme. Service is quick and efficient and rates are good. The pool is very unique and definitely worth a swim but could be bigger. The makeshift blow up baby pool doesn't quite cut it. You can almost see into the big hole from the hotel. The restaurant was disappointing for a 4 star establishment. I was surprised that I had to pay extra for breakfast when I was told it was included on making the reservation. The variety and quality of breakfast was certainly below par. I had many better breakfasts in 3 star hotels. The ambience in the restaurant is excellent though and you can dine in the semi outdoor section as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the big hole
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled with family

Dear Khalid B,

Thank you for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to hear you liked our hotel and unique swimming pool that is styled like a farm style dam. Because of the style and the depth of our unique swimming pool, we had a small children’s pool on the side for babies and small children to cool down in. I am sorry that you found this inadequate.

The rate that you were booked on was our December leisure special, which is a room only rate. Breakfast is charged separately should you decide to join us for breakfast. I apologise that there was a miscommunication regarding the breakfast charge and for the fact that you found it below par. I have addressed this with the food and beverage department and trust it will exceed your expectations next time.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon and hope we can meet and exceed all your expectations on your next stay.

Reviewed December 18, 2014

The hotel is situated next to The Big Hole of Kimberley, and is styled in line with the historic significance of its surroundings. They managed to create an exceptional atmosphere in this hotel, and it is really worth a visit. I did have some small things that wasn't right in my room, but it didn't really effect my stay negatively, and afterwards I received an email from the management apologizing for the fact that things weren't exactly what I expected, which showed a willingness to address their customers' needs. We had dinner in their dining room, but unfortunately the meal was quite disappointing. The meal wasn't prepared very well, service was slow, and the wines were quite expensive. I would definitely stay at the hotel again, but I will not have dinner there again.

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dirk K

Dear Dirk K,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the decor and atmosphere of our hotel. We are proud of the hotel and never tire of hearing how our GUESTS enjoy and appreciate it.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing dinner experience that you had in our restaurant, it is certainly not the standard that we are usually proud to offer. We have addressed your complaints with the food and beverage department and trust it will not happen again.

I am glad that we had the opportunity to personally address the areas where we could not exceed your expectations and hope that we can welcome you back to Protea Hotel Kimberley again soon to show you true Protea hospitality again.

Reviewed December 14, 2014 via mobile

We visited Protea Hotel Kimberly on 14 December 2014, whilst en route to Sun City. Our checkin was quick, our Porter was very helpful and the room was clean, comfortable and welcoming.

After a few hours, my husband got really ill with a sore throat and he was unable to chew or swallow without severe pain. I went to the kitchen and the chef, Julius, went out of his way to make a special vegetarian meal for us and he did so with a smile! The hosts, Thomas and Ruan, also ensured me that they will send the food up and gave me a complimentary bowl of hot custard to soothe my husband's throat. These individuals made us feel so special. They were kind, helpful and most importantly, they were understanding to our plight!

Therefore, I recommend this hotel to any and all travellers. It's refreshing to experience such wonderful service! Thank you PH Kimberly for making our stay so easy and comfortable.

Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
Bianca K, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2014

Dear Maharaj03,

Thank you for your great review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am extremely proud of our TEAM, and I will be sure to convey the message of gratitude to the above-mentioned STAFF members. Falling ill while travelling and away from home is very unfortunate and can ruin one’s holiday, but I am glad that we could alleviate some of your husband’s discomfort. We hope he is feeling much better and can enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Should you be travelling through Kimberley on your way back home, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and continue to show you true Protea hospitality.