All reviews big hole direct access hotel is clean swimming pool old world charm a bit pricey cape town old style feel welcome south africa road trip museum diamond conference rush kindness foyer
Reviewed January 2, 2015

I checked in yesterday. Hotel looks good at face value but room & restaurant shocking.

There is a tiny shower. The water outlet was blocked so we're basically standing in ankle deep water whilst showering. This overflowed into the small bathroom.

The element in the kettle was fully rusted. I waited almost an hour this morning after requesting a another one. Only after I complained to reception, did I receive a new one

The restaurant was shocking to say the least. I made reservations at 4pm for a table outside. There was no record of this.

We settled on the buffet. At 8.00pm some of the food was finished. Waited forever for more chicken & eventually got a small piece an hour later. Salad was also finished & by the time a new bowl of coleslaw was brought out, my meal was over. I can't comment on dessert except to say that this was also empty with no refills. We paid R130pp which was a complete waste of money. I will not be dining at the restaurant for the duration of my stay

The one positive though is the friendly staff who were most accommodating for all the hotels shortcomings

I was considering the Prokard but have changed my mind. I am here for the next 7 days, hopefully things will start getting better

Room 117

• Stayed: January 2015
Bianca K, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2015

Dear Preapillay,

Thank you very much for completing a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel Kimberley, I would like to apologise most sincerely for your experience on your first day here. We pride ourselves on delivering the best GUEST service, and it saddens me to hear that your experience at Protea Hotel Kimberley started off so disappointingly.

Our restaurant was exceptionally busy on Friday night, and while this is not an excuse for the poor service and long waiting period, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I would also like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the blocked shower in your room. Without our GUEST’s feedback regarding facilities in our rooms, we will not know when things are not working as they should. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and I am glad we managed to rectify the problem quickly.

I do hope the remainder of your stay has been a memorable one. Enjoy your last few days here and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2014

Located right at the big hole, the hotel has an antique theme throughout, something I like. Rooms are well appointed and continue the charming theme. Service is quick and efficient and rates are good. The pool is very unique and definitely worth a swim but could be bigger. The makeshift blow up baby pool doesn't quite cut it. You can almost see into the big hole from the hotel. The restaurant was disappointing for a 4 star establishment. I was surprised that I had to pay extra for breakfast when I was told it was included on making the reservation. The variety and quality of breakfast was certainly below par. I had many better breakfasts in 3 star hotels. The ambience in the restaurant is excellent though and you can dine in the semi outdoor section as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the big hole
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled with family

Dear Khalid B,

Thank you for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to hear you liked our hotel and unique swimming pool that is styled like a farm style dam. Because of the style and the depth of our unique swimming pool, we had a small children’s pool on the side for babies and small children to cool down in. I am sorry that you found this inadequate.

The rate that you were booked on was our December leisure special, which is a room only rate. Breakfast is charged separately should you decide to join us for breakfast. I apologise that there was a miscommunication regarding the breakfast charge and for the fact that you found it below par. I have addressed this with the food and beverage department and trust it will exceed your expectations next time.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon and hope we can meet and exceed all your expectations on your next stay.

Reviewed December 18, 2014

The hotel is situated next to The Big Hole of Kimberley, and is styled in line with the historic significance of its surroundings. They managed to create an exceptional atmosphere in this hotel, and it is really worth a visit. I did have some small things that wasn't right in my room, but it didn't really effect my stay negatively, and afterwards I received an email from the management apologizing for the fact that things weren't exactly what I expected, which showed a willingness to address their customers' needs. We had dinner in their dining room, but unfortunately the meal was quite disappointing. The meal wasn't prepared very well, service was slow, and the wines were quite expensive. I would definitely stay at the hotel again, but I will not have dinner there again.

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dirk K

Dear Dirk K,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the decor and atmosphere of our hotel. We are proud of the hotel and never tire of hearing how our GUESTS enjoy and appreciate it.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing dinner experience that you had in our restaurant, it is certainly not the standard that we are usually proud to offer. We have addressed your complaints with the food and beverage department and trust it will not happen again.

I am glad that we had the opportunity to personally address the areas where we could not exceed your expectations and hope that we can welcome you back to Protea Hotel Kimberley again soon to show you true Protea hospitality again.

Reviewed December 14, 2014 via mobile

We visited Protea Hotel Kimberly on 14 December 2014, whilst en route to Sun City. Our checkin was quick, our Porter was very helpful and the room was clean, comfortable and welcoming.

After a few hours, my husband got really ill with a sore throat and he was unable to chew or swallow without severe pain. I went to the kitchen and the chef, Julius, went out of his way to make a special vegetarian meal for us and he did so with a smile! The hosts, Thomas and Ruan, also ensured me that they will send the food up and gave me a complimentary bowl of hot custard to soothe my husband's throat. These individuals made us feel so special. They were kind, helpful and most importantly, they were understanding to our plight!

Therefore, I recommend this hotel to any and all travellers. It's refreshing to experience such wonderful service! Thank you PH Kimberly for making our stay so easy and comfortable.

Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
Bianca K, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2014

Dear Maharaj03,

Thank you for your great review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am extremely proud of our TEAM, and I will be sure to convey the message of gratitude to the above-mentioned STAFF members. Falling ill while travelling and away from home is very unfortunate and can ruin one’s holiday, but I am glad that we could alleviate some of your husband’s discomfort. We hope he is feeling much better and can enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Should you be travelling through Kimberley on your way back home, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and continue to show you true Protea hospitality.

Reviewed November 11, 2014

What an impressive hotel - full of old world charm and warmth. The staff was friendly and helpful and even made the kids feel welcome by offering the Protea Hotel Kids Club packs. Dinner at the hotel was a-la-carte and the menu offered a wide variety - all well prepared to everyone's taste. Rooms are comfortable with fresh white linen. The shower cubic was a little cramp, but all and all we had a pleasant stay.

There is also lots to see nearby. Located next to the hotel is the Kimberley Big Hole Museum. A must for those who have not yet visited the historic mining village resembling the days of Rhodes and all the stories of the diggers.

The Protea Hotel Kimberley (at the Big Hole) will definitely be on our list for stop over when we travel to Cape Town again.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool areas and big hole are much quieter. The rooms facing the parking area can be a bit noisy - especially when staff are changing shifts.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Bianca K, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2014

Dear Heins1609,

Thank you very much for the positive review that you placed on TripAdvisor. It was great to read such good comments about our hotel and surrounding areas.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again this festive season.