“Lovely place but the restaurant lets it down”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Kimberley
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Lovely place but the restaurant lets it down”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We decided to stay at this hotel due to it's proximity to the big hole. It's a lovely hotel, relatively new. Our rooms were cosy and beds were very comfortable. But the restaurant it's a BIG let down. Our lunch took exactly 1 hour to prepare and after that we could not pay our bill because all staff were on lunch!!!! We could also only have 1 beer as the beer sold out. For dinner we decided to give it another try and were extremely disappointed when the waitress told us that they only have 3 items form the menu. My husband spoke to the restaurant manager, who explained that the suppliers are closed on Sunday. It's the manager's responsibility to do the planing and the orders to ensure that the restaurant does not run out of food. We find it very strange that from 6 or 8 pages menu they managed to sell out everything and only have 3 items left. This is a big let down to this lovely hotel and I don't think we'll stay there again. Management should pay attention to all the complains about the restaurant if they don't want they ratings to go down the drain....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bianca N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear ivabella

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

It is always great to hear that our GUESTS found our hotel lovely and our rooms comfortable and cosy. I am sure this made for a good night’s rest.

I am disappointed to hear that our restaurant was such a let down. Having so many out of stock items is unacceptable and suppliers being closed is certainly not an excuse. The long waiting period for your food is also not the usual standard that we are proud to offer. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I have taken the matter up with all the relevant STAFF members and we will endeavour to plan better in future to avoid these situations again.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Protea Hotel Kimberley should you be in Kimberley again.

Protea Hotel Kimberley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We stay at the Protea Hotels on a regular basis. This was our first visit to this hotel. The location is perfect . The staff was overall friendly and helpful,rooms cosy and comfortable. However the dinners left great disappointment as most of it was not available when you wanted to order a meal. The first evening we waited or our food but the staff apologized especially Thomas was extra friendly however the second night more things were still not available on the menu and we waited over 45min and we had grumpy staff. Not a great way to end what started as an excellent place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Noeleen H

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some valuable feedback about your recent stay.

It pleases me to hear that you found our hotel cosy and comfortable and our STAFF friendly and helpful. I will certainly give Thomas a pat on the back for being so friendly. I am disappointed however to hear that the second day was different and you found our STAFF grumpy. This will certainly be addressed.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the out of stock items as well as the long time that you had to wait for your food. There are no excuses for this and I will address it with the relevant STAFF so that it does not happen again.

We appreciate your feedback and support of Protea Hotels and I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Kimberley.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Never stayed in a Protea hotel before, but it was ok. But that's it basically, and this is supposed to be one of the better ones. It's definately clean, staff are friendly, the lobby, bar and restaurant are nice as well. But we were booked in a standard room but got a groundfloor room for disabled persons, with a shower that did not meet our standards. And a double bed instead of twins (this happens a lot in South Africa, don't know why). We switched with another couple though who wanted a double bed. Breakfast is quite expensive but the buffet is very good. Dinner is affordable as are drinks. Convenient near the Big Hole complex too, so that's a bonus. Because of circumstances we had to stay one night more and got the original rate for that extra night which was very nice of the people.
Big downside is, with all bigger hotels, that it caters sometimes to groups and families, which makes it feel less personal and sometimes loud. But for Kimberley it's a good hotel if you can find a good deal, otherwise rooms are overpriced.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MichaelBurm

Thank you for posting a review about Protea Hotel Kimberley on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you found our STAFF friendly and our hotel nice and clean. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused with being allocated a universally accessible room. I am glad you managed to switch rooms with another couple to your satisfaction.

I am happy to hear that we were able to give you the original rate for your second night as well, and being right next door to the Big Hole is definitely a plus.

Being a corporate as well as leisure hotel, we do have to cater for groups as well as families at one time. We will endeavour to manage the noise better in future and provide a more personalised service to our individual GUESTS.

We appreciate your feedback and support of Protea Hotels.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We decided to stay at this Hotel due to it close proximity to the big hole and whilst the big hole was fantastic the hotel was definitely not! The room was nice if not a little small but the service was truly terrible. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and although it was not very busy it took them 40 mins to tell me that my choice of half roast chicken was not available. Our waitress was called Sweetness( never was there a less apt name as she was rude and sullen and behaved like it was a chore to serve us) came to tell me I could not have chicken and offered me chicken wings instead. Our meal took over an hour to arrive and then my wings were cold! Every single item kept in the hot dishes for breakfast were also cold!
All waiting staff need training on serving the guest instead of talking to other staff members.
The walkway lights to the annex where we stayed were all broken so it was difficult to find our way to our room that night.
We left a very extensive feedback form at the hotel but as we have never been contacted about our comments it is clear that they do not care what their guest think!
Would definitely not stay here again which is a great shame due to it lovely location!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqui080
Bianca N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Jacqui080,

Thank you very much for completing a review on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel Kimberley, I would like to apologise most sincerely for your unacceptable service experience. We pride ourselves on delivering the best GUEST service, and it saddens me to hear that your overall experience was such a disappointment.

I wish to confirm that I have personally followed up on your comments regarding the long waiting period, the temperature of the food and most importantly the level of service that you received. These issues have been addressed with the relevant STAFF members and training is ongoing to improve the level of service offered to our GUESTS. I can confirm that the lights along the walkway to our second building have all been fixed.

We value your feedback as it helps us ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! I do apologise that a member of our Management TEAM did not get back to you regarding your HOT or NOT comment card.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please contact me at gm@phkimberley.com. I hope that we are able to show you true Protea hospitality when you are next in town

Protea Hotel Kimberley

Travelers are raving about these Kimberley hotels

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Arrived in Kimberly and decided to stay, day was late, and, there is the big hole. It's a big town with many locations to stay but as I was intended to see the big hole this hotel was a very logical choice, it's right at the edge of the big hole!
Got a room with a view of the hole, uh, only the top part of course, but it was fabulous. Large room with big beds. Slept reasonably, that was due to a humming sound from a fan in I think the bathroom but for the rest it was good.
The pool, uh, well, you can't really call it a pool as it's an old cement round above ground water collection tank with a (not operational) wind mill pump next to it, but, overlooking the big hole again. Ok, water was a bit chilly but it was well worth the dunk (be careful of the steps, it's a bit loose).
It's not cheap, relative to B&B;s, although for western standards the price for what is a full hotel is not bad at all. You can walk from the parking lot directly on the Big Hole experience and 'town' so very convenient.
Personnel was very friendly again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Big Hole !
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spamobile
Bianca N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear spamobile,

Thank you very much for the review of your wonderful experience during your recent stay in Kimberley. We are very fortunate to be situated so close to the Big Hole and I am pleased to hear that you were not disappointed!

Our spacious rooms are always appreciated and one facing the Big Hole is a definite plus.

In keeping with the diamond and mining era, our swimming pool is built like a farm style dam to keep in with the overall look and feel of the Big Hole complex and Northern Cape. I can confirm that the steps have now been secured.

Should you visit Kimberley again in the future, we look forward to having another opportunity to provide you with a true Protea Hospitality experience right on the edge of the Kimberley Big Hole.

Kimberley, South Africa
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Hotel looks likea normal hotel from outside until you step inside .Friendly reception . The furniture not only in the comfortable rooms is magnificent . The last you will expect from a hotel in Kimberley.Every piece of furniture is complimenting the era of how the rich people in the origin of Kimberley lived a real must to see, better than you get you get in the museums.

The conference facilities are not up to standard . You walk through the dining area or outside on the stoep where guests are sitting to get to a plain room , although the facilities for a conference , the aircon did not work properly , allowed people to get close to the conference facility distracting your attention.Cheap sweet that is not suitable at a conference and the worst they did not refill the bottles of cold water in hot weather.Do not recommend the conference centre .

Room Tip: Rooms where you can get a glimpse of the Big Hole
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FERDINAND986
Bianca N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Ferdinand986

Thank you very much for your feedback. We loved your mention of looking like an ordinary hotel on the outside, but being magnificent on the inside. Kimberley is a town with a rich history, and our hotel certainly reflects that in the furniture and decor.

Reading that our reception STAFF are friendly was very pleasing to hear and I will certainly pass your comments on to the TEAM.

I am however truly sorry that you were disappointed with the conference facilities and service. The TEAM is looking into the conference offering and focusing on improving the service. Kimberley summers are extremely hot and an aircon should take the edge off. I apologise for the aircon not working properly and this unit has already been fixed. STAFF training is also ongoing to ensure that STAFF is more attentive to your needs.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel in the future.

Simon's Town, South Africa
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I spent a weekend here on my way to Johannesburg. I found the hotel to be really nice for a relaxing stay - really peaceful and I enjoyed the tranquility. I agree that the service was not really up to scratch, but, for my purposes at least, the tranquility certainly made my stay enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bianca N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear ShaunL8

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the tranquillity of our hotel and that you could continue on your journey to Johannesburg feeling rested and relaxed.

Offering the best GUEST service is very important to Protea Hotel Kimberley and training has been ongoing to improve the level of service offered by our STAFF. I trust you will see these improvements on your next trip to Kimberley.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back again.