“Nice Hotel”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Kimberley
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed a one night stay in May 2013, however the restaurant lets the rest of the hotel down. Food was average at best and the restaurant service left a lot to be desired. Reception service was very good and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear AmericanTraveller55

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stopover in Kimberley.

The STAFF are at the heart of the hotel and reading that you received friendly service from reception is pleasing to hear.

I am however truly sorry that you were disappointed with the meals and restaurant service. The TEAM is currently working on improving our food & beverage offering, as well as implementing continuous training to ensure that on your return, the issues have been resolved.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a longer stay and some delicious meals.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

A three star rating is perhaps a little unfair, but it is not quite four stars in my book, so I’ll sit on the fence with 3.5 stars. The check-in staff were very friendly and efficient. I was able to change my room to one of those in the outside block of rooms (based on the advice of fellow Trip Advisor reviewers – thank you). I can see why it is preferred not to be placed in the main hotel near the restaurant. Not that there appears anything wrong with it, it is just much nicer being away from the buzz. The room was more than comfortable and had all the required amenities, including a hairdryer (which I have found to be a rarity in most hotel rooms and guesthouses). A decent mid-30 inch flat screen TV broadcasting all the channels that they promised they would (including Supersport 2 so that I could watch the Proteas beat Pakistan in a must-win game) and reasonable tea and coffee-making facilities. A mini bar would be useful (if for no other reason than to keep water cool as I do not like the water in Kimberley), but the staff are happy to provide you with a bucket of ice for those purposes. The beds were comfy and the curtains blocked out all of the light which, combined, provided for a good night’s rest. I ordered room service the one evening (and dined out the other), and the food was well prepared and arrived quite quickly and hot. I had bolognaise which, while nice, had a fair amount of chilli. I don’t mind, but I know a number of people who do not eat chilli and in the event of ordering bolognaise, would be disappointed as there was no mention of chilli and it typically shouldn’t have any in it. The breakfast buffet was adequate – I have had worse and I have had better. They serve a variety of coffees (lattes/cappuccinos, espressos etc.) which is nice change from the standard brew. Two complaints that I have relate to the wireless internet and the shower. I had problems connecting to wireless during my stay, but this was resolved quite quickly by the front-of-house staff. The issue is that you get 100Mb free per day, whereafter they charge R60 per further 100Mb. In this day and age, this approach is rather archaic, and R60 per 100Mb is far too expensive. The shower was probably the biggest annoyance. The beautiful imitation-rain showerhead is completely wasted when it is pretty much impossible to adjust the temperature to sit somewhere comfortable between scalding and freezing. A plea to the Protea Hotel (and all hotel groups for that matter) – sort this out.

In a recent review for another Kimberley establishment I was criticised by the owners for comparing their establishment with one that is significantly more expensive, which was fair enough (albeit not the point behind the comparison). Well, I paid a rather insignificant R170 per night more for the Protea Hotel. In my opinion, the gulf between the two establishments is worth significantly more than that. This will be my preferred lodgings for future stays in Kimberley. Sort out the showers and revise the wireless internet setup– then comfortably 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main hotel building if you want something quiet, preferably on the seco...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Flamingmonk

We really appreciate your detailed feedback and loved your mention of old world charm, which really captures what Kimberley represents.

Offering the best GUEST service is a top priority to us and I am delighted that the STAFF attended to your concerns quickly and with their friendly approach.

Ensuring that our GUESTS are comfortable and feel at home in their room is a must. After reading your comments regarding your in-room experience, I will make sure to look into supplying mini fridges as well as urgent attention to the shower temperature. With regards to the internet; our current offering is the brand standard across all Protea Hotels. However, I will be sure to mention your valid points as I am fully aware of the importance of connectivity.

Thank you for your recommendation and when you return please be sure to pop in to my office to discuss these matters further.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Entry into this old world setting leaves one uncertain of facility.
Nice old world charm of what Kimberley must have looked like 150 years ago - with lots of pix of the era
Good clean rooms; clean bath/shower
Basic breakfast buffet ; limited dinner selection
Great view of Big Hole - right next to hotel.
Relatively expensive but a 4 star (????) Will stay here again - limited options in this town; far better than Garden Court anyway

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear HarriANarismulu

Thank you for posting a review about Protea Hotel Kimberley on TripAdvisor.

You are 100% on point that Kimberley has a rich history, which we have tried to capture within the hotel’s décor.

Providing fresh rooms, comfortable beds and great bathrooms is important for Protea Hotels and we are happy that we met your expectations. However, it is upsetting that we did not wow you with our breakfast and dinner. This will be discussed amongst the TEAM as we are continuously striving for excellence.

We appreciate your feedback and support of Protea Hotels during your stay in South Africa.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The hotel has improved since my last visit in terms of attention to detail and service. The restaurant remains slow, but food has improved slightly. The shaded parking is a disaster. Better close it. The nearby attractions are not well advertised or even promoted.

Room Tip: Lower floors to be avoided if view is important.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear SabeloN

Thank you for visiting us again. We are continuously striving for excellence and your comments on the improvement you noticed affirm that we are on track. I appreciate your feedback as this goes a long way in assisting us with setting goals to be achieved.

With the recent cold front, we had a pipe burst and unfortunately this meant some water flowing to the parking area. I apologise for this inconvenience, but would also like to let you know that we are most likely going to re-pave the entire area.

I will pass on your compliments to the chef and at the same time look into the service concerns you raised.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there with our 1 year old and as always we had a lovely stay. The hotel is clean, decent sized rooms, lovely beds with great linen. Flat screen tv's in rooms, lovely rustic yet modern decor. Wooden floors which we prefer rather than carpet. Good location if one is there for the attractions. We like it because it is central. The only concern is that service is inconsistent. Sometimes staff are on the ball and friendly and sometimes not. But the facilities are superb. We stay here at least 4 times a year and will continue to do so.

By the way , the pool is quite unique, not quite a swimming pool in the traditional sense. Works if you are really keen.

• Stayed: May 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Batsamai

Thank you for your continuous support of Protea Hotel Kimberley and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

Travelling with little ones can be daunting and I am so pleased that you found the rooms of a great size, clean and comfortable. And of course, the flat screen TV with a variety of DSTV channels is a definite plus.

I am truly sorry for the inconsistent levels of service that you have received. This is certainly not what we strive for and I will be speaking with the TEAM to ensure regular training is put in place to maintain these levels.

I have yet to get bored of being able to see the Big Hole from the hotel and you are spot on that the location is perfect for those wanting to be central.

Your comments are valued and I would love to have a coffee with you all on your next visit. Feel free to pop in to my office when next in Kimberley.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I were visiting my elderly Mother who lives in Kimberley but no longer has her own home, and chose to stay and the Protea Hotel. The rooms are small but nicely appointed and we felt very comfortable, so much so that we extended our stay and kept it as our "base" while there. The air conditioning was SO welcomed!
The hotel staff were VERY accommodating and could not do enough for us.
After tiring day's we would go back to the hotel to enjoy a meal on the patio at the restaurant. Some dishes were better than other's but it was so convenient not to have to drive somewhere else. You have access to the Open Mine Museum (Big Hole) from the hotel which is nice to browse through. Payment is required to see the Big Hole.
There are several choices in Kimberley, especially B&B's but we felt this was good value for money, (especially during peek holiday time), easy, private and convenient.

Rooms are equipped with electric kettles and we enjoyed tea or coffee with rusks we purchased, for breakfast - easy, easy.

We stayed there over New Years and there were NO loud parties or anything to complain about in that regard. Rooms are pretty sound resistant.

Two negative comments: a) more covered parking would have been really nice to accommodate Kimberley's heat, b) the white towels were rather "tired" and new ones are needed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear KbyCald

Thank you for posting a review of your wonderful experience during your recent visit to family in Kimberley.

Summer in Kimberley can get extremely hot and the air-conditioner helps to take the edge off. I am happy that this, as well as our friendly and helpful TEAM, made a difference to your stay.

After a long day and visiting some attractions nearby, returning to the hotel to relax and have a light snack or meal on the patio is definitely welcomed. I appreciate your feedback in this area and will discuss it with the chef.

I am pleased to let you know that the towels are being replaced and we are looking into the option of getting more shaded parking.

Tea and rusks are a great in room snack and we are only too happy to provide with tea/coffee making facilities.

I look forward to your next visit and hope that you had a safe trip home.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Was given the wrong room initially, and reception staff were not friendly/helpful. Did manage to get correct room sorted in the end. Decided to eat in the restaurant as we'd had a long day driving even though we had seen other poor reviews. One meal was practically inedible (lamb shank), and the other was ok (T-bone steak).
I just feel that a hotel with such a good location should be bang on the money with everything, but this place is lacking on many aspects (particularly food and customer service). It has the potential to be an amazing place, but Protea needs to shake things up a bit first.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan L
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Jonathan L

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience at Protea Hotel Kimberley.

Your concerns are valued and by no means reflect the standards we are usually proud to offer. We aim to provide the best GUEST service and food to our GUESTS.

I am happy, however, that I was able to meet with you to discuss the matter and rectify it whilst you were still at the hotel.

My apologies once again for your disappointing experience and I can assure you that they were addressed immediately.

I look forward to hosting you again when you next drive though Kimberley.