“my home (in Kimberley) away from home”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Kimberley
Reviewed March 4, 2013

PH Kimberley staff make sure you feel at home and go out of their way to ensure 5star service. I spend lots of time here on business trips, and I once brought my family to Kimberley and stayed at the hotel. The service was still the same - excellent! The best stay in Kimberley

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear kaghiso

A feel at home environment is exactly what we strive to create at our hotel. Our doors are always open for GUESTS to relax and enjoy the comforts we offer. Thank you for your support and lovely review.

You mention a great point and that is the fact that Protea Hotel Kimberley is suitable for business and leisure. Our friendly TEAM is on hand to assist with any requirements during your stay and based on your review, you have experienced this first hand. Not to mention the activities in the area and our location next to The Big Hole.

We hope to welcome you back on many more trips to Kimberley and that the family comes along as well.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Rooms are O.K., but not kept up to standard and the breakfast not worth the money being asked for. Spent nearly 4 weeks traveling through S.A. and the Protea Hotel Kimberley was by far the worst stay. Especially the breakfast offered was far too expensive (R155 per person) for what one received. Try a different hotel !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Carol H

I appreciate your feedback and the time taken to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We’re saddened to receive your comments as this is definitely not the experience we strive to offer our GUESTS. I apologise that your stay and experience of the breakfast was below par and I will discuss your comments with the TEAM.

We aim to meet and exceed GUEST expectations and it is unfortunate that we did not achieve this during your stay.

Please contact me at gm@phkimberley.com if you wish to discuss this further. I hope that we are able to show you true Protea hospitality when you are next in town.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

we were booked into a guest lodge and there was a mix up with the booking from their side. We traditionally would never stay at a Protea hotel due to requiring something more personal and exclusive. The guest lodge phoned ahead to the Protea hotel Kimberley and booked us into a deluxe suite for the same price as we were paying at the guest lodge. We arrived and the hotel was stunning. The service was great, the food was good and we have a fabulous stay.

Room Tip: We asked for a deluxe suite overlooking the "Big Hole" I think it was Block B
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TwiggsWillis_12
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear TwiggsWillis_12

I am delighted that you were pleasantly surprised during your stay and that we were able to exceed you expectations.

Offering the best GUEST service with a personal touch is what the STAFF aims to achieve every day. The chef will be happy to hear that you enjoyed the food.

Thank you for your comments and trust that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I didn't even bother to contact management. Staff had the change to sort me out. Dirty cutlery at dinner and breakfast - had to ask waiter to replace them and showed receptionist the state of the cutlery. Could not get airconditioner in room to function - staff did not come to show me on my request. And receptionist respond - "Sorry". Impossible to sleep on cushions that are as big as an inflatable boat. Most expensive breakfast I had in 5 different countries. I'm sorry, no 4 star experience for me. Can not recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Hennie

Thank you for bringing your comments to my attention and posting the review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry that your stay with us was not the experience you had expected. The concerns you raised are not on par with the standards we are proud to offer and it is very disappointing to hear of your discomfort.

Making excuses is not what I believe in and I would have welcomed the opportunity to have spoken to you whilst you were with us in order to rectify the situation. Offering the best GUEST service is of high importance to us and I will be addressing the TEAM regarding the response to your cutlery and air conditioning queries.

When next in Kimberly, please feel free to visit me and we can chat over a cup of coffee.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We overnighted at the hotel on our way back from the Cape to Joburg.
We booked a room and requested a non-smoking, quiet room far from restaurant and reception with a double bed and got exactly what we requested.
The hotel is fairly new but built and furnished in sort of the style of the diamond days. Whe hotel is situated about as close to the Big Hole as safely possible.The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. The beds and linen were great. The air conditioning was quiet and effiecient. The hotel has only 2 storeys but there are no elevators so if you are on the top level you may need a hotel porter or you have to drag your suitcases up a flight of stairs.
The reception staff were friendly and helpfull and even had a great sense of humour.
Would I stay here again - certainly.
Would I dine here again - not a chance.
Having driven all day we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant instead of looking for an independant restaurant. Big mistake. The service was haphazard, the food was dry and overspiced with garlic salt. This despite the prices being in-line with good food prices. Avoid the restaurant and bar.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear SA-to-wherever

I hope you had a good trip to the Cape and thank you for staying with us on your way back home.

It is upsetting to hear of your experience in the restaurant. We continue to work hard on improving the quality of food and level of service. Your below par experience is not what we are proud to offer and I will be addressing this issue with the TEAM.

I am however extremely glad that your room requests were met and that all of the amenities and facilities inside the room were to your liking. We strive to create the ‘friendly and helpful’ environment that you commented on, every day. The STAFF will be delighted to hear of your compliments.

Thank you for your review and please pop in to say hi next time you drive through Kimberley.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

i was forced to stay at this hotel as the flight was delayed meaning we needed to overnight in Kimberley.

the hotel is quite new but is already a little tired (or at least my room was) and needs some tender loving care in the rooms and bathroom. mostly your knocks and bumps - it need a good paint and overhaul.

i was not at the hotel for long and did not expereince the restaurant or bar.

my room was very big with two large beds. everything worked and the room was very comfortable.

staff were friendly.

only disapointment was that they knew of the layover and really charged high price for the room so we did not receive any value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear youchoose312578

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some valuable feedback about your recent stay.

Maintenance and painting of the rooms and hotel itself is an ongoing process. We appreciate your comment and will definitely be giving the room a loving paint.

Being in a foreign city can be daunting and the STAFF do their absolute best to make the GUESTS feel comfortable and at home. I will commend the TEAM on yet another job well done.

I hope that all went well after your flight was delayed.

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I was driving to Cape Town and got tired! After a quick Google search, I was on the phone to Kimberley Protea Hotel! Very friendly lady sorted me out right there on the phone! I arrived two hours later to a friendly welcome and I got a super room! Definitely coming back and can highly recommend staying here! By the way, it is situated right next to The Big Hole!

• Stayed: December 2012
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear grootbliksem

Driving long distances can be very tiring and we are delighted that Protea Hotel Kimberley was able to provide you with a friendly welcome and a ‘super’ room.

We take GUEST service very seriously and your praise of the STAFF member that assisted you affirms our standard.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your next stopover.