My family recently arrived in White River only to find that the hotel we'd booked was nowhere close to the standard they had suggested online. So imagine the panic with having 3 hours to try and find alternative accommodation for 4 adults and 3 children - over the busy festive season?!
We were put in touch with Jatinga - but at this late stage they had no family rooms left. However no longer than 10mins after our inquiry we were called back to say that they had been able to make a plan by shifting around existing bookings to help accommodate us.
While we were quite prepared at this stage to forego some comfort and have the kids sleep on a mattress on the floor - Jatinga on their own volition however, brought in 3 proper single beds with mattresses for them - which we really didn't expect, and which really made the stay comfortable for the youngsters also. I must add that we were also only charged the standard rate for the double rooms.
The rooms were large and really tasteful. Huge bathrooms and an outside shower that was a real treat. Our 'stoeps' looked out onto really magnificent gardens, which were a pleasure to walk through. There is a river that runs through the property which we enjoyed walking along in the mornings.
The service was really warm. The small staff compliment were exceptionally attentive and sincere in their interest in our 'big fat greek family' and our daily going ons. We were made to feel really welcome and special. Even being unexpectedly treated to a complimentary round of our preferred drinks brought to our door one evening. We'd ordered these a few days in a row - when these simply arrived unasked for one evening!
Breakfast was plentiful, offered good variety and was served in a lovely dining room. The staff did struggle a bit with efficiency when more than 2 tables of guests arrived at the same time - but as we were on holiday this was really not a big issue for us.
We did not have dinner in the restaurant as its fine dining style wasn't really suited to our kids. But when we 'cheekily' asked for olive oil one night having brought take-aways into the hotel to feed the family...we received a full set of condiments to our door (again - more than we had asked for).
All in all - a truly lovely, relaxing and elegant lodge with extremely sincere warmth of service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only 38 km from the Kruger Park, Jatinga is within easy driving distance of the scenic Panorama route and several excellent golf courses. Six new rooms opened in September '05, known as the Orchard and Forest rooms. In true Colonial style, tea and fresh scones are served each afternoon with our compliments. Complimentary sparkling wine and canapes served at sundown each day in the privacy of your room, a mere taste of things to come! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Jatinga Country Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jatinga Country Hotel White River
- Jatinga Country Lodge White River, South Africa - Mpumalanga