“Don't go. I got robbed there”

aha Greenway Woods Resort
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in White River
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Don't go. I got robbed there”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Horrible experience. Last July I went there as part of my visit to South africa. I stayed there 2 nights. during the second day when I was went out for a sightseeing somebody entered my room and stole ALL my money. The safe was not working, I informed it twice and they told me noboy could repair it. I knew when I was complaining that it was not the first time it has happened. I made a file, the police and the consulate intervened but nobody cared about it. It has been 3 months and they say they are still investigating. Don't go to this hotel. If you have a problem they leave you alone and without a solution. Trust me.It happened to me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Maria Sol B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Tennessee
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for my husband to attend a meeting and before we went on safari in Kruger. We had an overall enjoyable stay.

Our room in building 11 was a nice size. I guess they hadn't reached it, yet, in their renovations because there were some rough spots. But it was a large room, with a nice bathroom. The room safe was a bit temperamental, and we had to seek assistance from the front desk to use it. The front desk was very accommodating.

We checked in rather late on the first night of our stay, and food service ended at 10, so we had to go to bed without any dinner. Thank goodness we had snacks with us, because we were pretty hungry after a long drive. The hotel didn't even have a vending machine we could visit.

While my husband was at his meeting, the front desk was extremely helpful in arranging a ride for me to visit the Jane Goodall Chimp Sanctuary near Nelspruit. It's about a 30-minute drive, but it was so worth it. I really enjoyed that. Big thank you to Melinda (if I remember her name correctly) at the front desk who really won the prize for good service that day.

The only thing that was really disappointing was the food. I did not care for the breakfast at all. Some things seemed way undercooked, including the omelets, so I ended up eating a croissant and fruit each morning. The fact that no food is available on site after 10pm was difficult.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have driven past Greenway Woods a few times in the past on my way to play golf at the adjacent White River country club. A couple of weeks ago I had the priviledge to stay at the resort. I say priviledged since I believe everyone staying here for a weekend is priviledged. Everything you would need in a resort...friendly staff, clean rooms, nice food, lots of activities, and a whole lot more only a stone's throw from the resort. I would definitely recommend the resort to everyone I know. A very big thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a deluxe room which was great. Lovely for just a couple. Spacious yet intimate :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MarketingGWW, Guest Relations Manager at aha Greenway Woods Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Wow, how lovely to hear such positive feedback. We loved having you stay with us at Three Cities Greenway Woods and look forward to welcoming you back. We pass on all the feedback we received and our team will be thrilled to hear you were happy with your stay with us.

Brazil
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The external part of the hotel is big, green, has a big pool, playground…maybe a good place to stay with kids but as I was there only to sleep I can talk about my experience inside of the bedroom.
I choosed this hotel because I would be on White River only for one night so I looked for a place clean, cheap, close to the Wine Show.
Upon to the arrival started my disgust, I saw a small cocoroach on the curtain. Looks like nobody had cleaned before we arrive. The bedroom was too small, I never had been stayed in a bedroom small like that. The mugs available for coffee were dirty and one had a hair inside.
The bathroom hasn´t bath courtain, after the bath everything was wetted. I had booked for a couple but there was only one towel.
The reception is very far from the bedrooms even this there´s no mini-bar in the room.
I requested one hair dryer and one plug, my husband went to the reception to get it but when he arrived the plug didn´t fit to the hair dryer.
Honestly, I´ve been in low costs hotels many times but in no one of them I got so bored. I don´t want to stay there again.

Room Tip: Don´t get the chalet 3A, is too small.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ClaraAB
MarketingGWW, Public Relations Manager at aha Greenway Woods Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you Clara for your feedback.

With regards to our rooms, we are rolling-out an extensive refurbishment programme to upgrade our chalets and rooms, and refresh our decor. We follow stringent criteria to meet the strict standards of a 3-star hotel in the Three Cities Group. We do have a selection of small rooms which are popular with guests who require very basic facilities at a highly affordable price. In our weekly training sessions, we have reiterated the need to check a guest is satisfied with the size and location of their room, and to move them promptly if they are not happy.

Cleanliness and service is a non-negotiable and every point you raised in your review has been itemised in a spreadsheet and the relevant heads of Departments were tasked with (a) investigating why the problem occured and (b) refocusing efforts in areas of weakness. Our General Manager has dealt with all the issues raised and is monitoring staff performance.

We appreciate your feedback and assure you we are determined to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and service.

Travelers are raving about these White River hotels

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We had to be in White River for a funeral. As it was short notice and coincided with a bicycle race in the area, we forced to stay at the Greenway Woods Resort. We were reluctant because the hotel got bad reviews on Trip Advisor. Then I thought the that all would be fine because the hotel was part of the Three Cities group. Big Mistake!! Although we had booked and paid through Bookings.com for two rooms, the hotel had no record and showed little interest in accomodating us. We arrived at 11 pm after a long drive and only after phoning Bookings.com did we get rooms. The rooms were sub standard, stained carpets, leaking toilets, no toilet paper and only Rooibos tea. After three quick phone calls of complaint we were moved to a deluxe room. I was told that the hotel only supplied Rooibos tea in the rooms. Imagine my astonishment when i found normal ceylon tea in the deluxe room. A quick check with my friend confirmed that she too had normal tea. So I was told a blatant lie by the night guy in the Hotel. Our new deluxe room had no water so we could not shower. So, stinky, we went to bed. The free breakfast was greasy fried foods, cheap nasty luridly colored yoghurt and VERY bad coffee. My wife was impressed with the cut fruit. The following night a friend wanted to book in, at 10 pm, but was told that there were no rooms free. Only after it became clear that i did not believe them and that we we going no where did a room suddenly become available. The guy who booked my friend in was either very merry or drunk. I suspected drunk. We fled at 6:30 the next morning happily giving up the free breakfast. Book this hotel only if there is no other option.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much DAThrash for your valuable review

We are always shocked to get feedback that shows that a small group of our staff members are not doing what they are trained to do to keep to our strict standards of cleanliness and exceptional service. What we did with your review is itemise every issue raised and the heads of the relevant departments had to follow-up with either disciplinary action or staff training.

We are currently rolling-out an extensive refurbishment programme to upgrade our rooms and refresh our decor. We are excited that before long the few remaining older rooms will be looking spanking new and everyone will love them.

Thank you again for your feedback and we'd like to reassure you that our General Manager is closely monitoring the performance of the staff involved.

Marketing & Guest Relations
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Greenway Woods is really trying to jack-up it's service. Things have improved. Staff really try their best to make you stay a good one. Helpful smiling staff. There is still a problem with some of the rooms, bad smells and not too clean, etc. Wonderful place to stay if you have children. Road to the Numbi Gate is full of potholes, will damage your wheels. They have added a beauty salon. Food is homely and quite good.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a better room and complain if it's dirty, lacking in any way, so they can cont...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ayr77
Thank you Ayr77 for your complimentary feedback. Maintaining the highest standards in cleanliness and service is always a constant battle and we love to hear that our staff training programme is resulting in happy guests.

We are aware of a few issues with some of our rooms - they are on the priority list for the extensive refurbishment & maintenance programme that is currently under way. Cleanliness and service, however, are non negotiable and we'd like to re-assure you our General Manager is strictly monitoring performance in areas of weakness.

Johannesburg
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We only stayed at Greenway woods for 1 night as we had a wedding to attend in White river. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful , the room clean, good breakfast. All and all great value for money.

We will stay at Greenway again should we find ourselves in White River.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We love receiving such positive feedback ... thank you IrmaSA for your kind words. We work very hard training our staff and monitoring their performance, so it's always nice to hear our team is doing what is asked of them and our guests are happy. We look forward to welcoming you back to Three Cities Greenway Woods Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near White River
Oliver's Restaurant & Lodge
Oliver's Restaurant & Lodge
#2 of 10 in White River
Floreat Riverside Lodge

Been to aha Greenway Woods Resort? Share your experiences!