“Great option in White River”

Casterbridge Hollow
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in White River
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Easy to book online, and a great solid option in White River. Charming rooms with a slight farm/ industrial feel. Large rooms with an amazing pool in the centre of the hotel grounds.

Magnolia restaurant maybe a tad pricey for what you get and the choices a little narrow for non meat eaters.

Great breakfast and very friendly staff.

Fast WiFi in the rooms.

Aircon did not work, but at least there was a ceiling fan. Road to Kruger next to hotel a bit noisy but with the balcony door closed you dont hear much.

We couldnt find an in-room menu even thought they offer in room dining.

We paid R1400 per night and was one of the cheapest hotel options in White River.

Easy reach to Kruger/ Sabie and Pilgrims rest as well as Blyderiviers Canyon.

The place is not perfect but it is very far from average.
We'll most definately stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have had occasion to visit this wonderful small hotel during job as a tour guide accompanying groups around the country.

Situated in a really classy little lifestyle centre called Casterbridge, this hotel has the rooms clustered in 2 stories around a great swimming pool. Rooms are decorated in colonial style with high ceilings and treated concrete floors, separate shower and toilet with spacious hand basin in between. Muted colours used with the linen etc. Spacious and comfortable, there is also a selection of TV channels but this you can access this info from the website. I really enjoy the bar fridge in each room. All rooms also have a small balcony overlooking the swimming pool. Breakfast is offered in the neighbouring Magnolia Restaurant which is also up to par. The centre has a wonderful old vintage car museum, cinema and eclectic collection of shops. Nice collection!

As a tour guide I really enjoy the free access to wireless internet and nearby gym. The staff are really friendly and welcoming each time we visit which makes such a good impression.

If you are going to Kruger Park, I would advise driving back towards Hazyview along the R40 and accessing the park through Phabeni Gate rather than taking the treacherous road through the old apartheid homeland of Gazankulu towards Numbi Gate. the road is riddled with potholes and has numerous hazards such as slow-moving old cars and racing busses early in the morning, goats, dogs and cattle, people on the roadside, bicycles etc. This is especially bad in the early morning travelling in the dark. The Hazyview route is in any case a little longer in distance but shorter time-wise.

Nice experience and great value for money. From here you can access the Kruger, Chimp Sanctuary near Nelspruit, Hazyview attractions such as the Elephant Sanctuary, the Panorama Route and many more activities. Good base to use to explore the area.

Be careful of the shower floors, some of them can be slippery - ask reception for a non-slip mat!

Room Tip: No real tips except perhaps choose a room furthest from the road to Kruger, it can get a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Garth J
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Recently stayed at Casterbridge hollow and the service I received was nothing short of excellence, the welcoming at reception was warm and friendly, they carried my bags to my room with a smile and gave a lovely orientation in the room,
The lady who checked me in offered me a lovely busket with all things I would need during my stay, it also had gym waters and towels since they also have the facilities. The rooms are very clean and very well looked after.

The staff went all out to make our stay memorable we will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Recently stayed at the hotel with great expectations! We live and work in the Kruger National Park for a private company (5*, Relais & Chateau Property) so obviously had very high expectations from the 'Seasons for Africa' group, however were quite disappointed. On arrival the reception seamed 'off duty', there was someone there but it seemed like we were 'intruding' rather than being a valued guest.

We inquired about availability and were told after few minutes of waiting that the system was off..then the FOH person disappeared into the back office and a Duty Manager came out to tell us that there is space, however there there system was down. We were quoted a R1930.00 for the night even though they only had 6 rooms occupied! So, we thought that because we are celebrating our 1year anniversary, we are going to spoil ourselves and asked if we could see a room. The lady was very friendly and happily took my wife to view the room, however unfortunately the room they were taken to was occupied, so when she saw the luggage she stopped and mentioned it to the staff lady, whom immediately apologized and left the room. Needles to say, we didn't get that room. Upon their arrival at reception another manager appeared after a while to apologize. She was very friendly and after a bit of talking dropped the price to R1500.00. This was very kind of her and we really appreciate it and wasn't expecting it.

After a bit of discussion my wife asked about the rooms on the end, which turned to be honeymoon suites at no extra cost (?), we obviously enquirer about it. We were told that housekeeping were off duty already and that the room wasn't ready, but the duty manageress offered to prepare it herself. Not sure if this is a poor system or if I should thank her for doing it?! Anyway, we thanked her for it.

When I wanted to pay, I was told the system was off and the only method would be cash. So needles to say I don't walk with that amount of cash on me, so had to drive few kilometers to draw cash. We told them that we would go for dinner first at Magnolia (which is probably one the most amazing restaurants I have ever visited worldwide- most definitely the most amazing pizza I ever ate in my entire life!!). So after dinner our room was ready and we went straight to the room. The Security/Bell man was very friendly and helped carry our bags.

In the room there aren't any wine glasses or opener, so you'll need to call reception for some. The room was pleasant and fresh and modern. Love the soap dispensers. Linen too abrasive and 'noisy'. Some maintenance issues (lack to detail) that are easy to maintain. When were turned off the lights, few minutes later it sounded like a horse derby in the roof.. Rats! It sounded like a derby, not kidding, FORTUNATELY they disappeared after a few minutes and didn't return! This I reported the next morning to the front desk.

The worst off all is the extremely thin walls.. Despite being the 'honeymoon suite', one could hear the faintest talk of the neighbors, their TV and all 'secrets sounds'. Not ideal..

Overall, pleasant experience, however will only ever take a room which is ready and hopefully not all rooms are loudspeakers of your and your neighbors 'evening agendas'.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Great, clean rooms. Very modern. The restaurant next door, Magnolia is amazing!
Dont get a room next to the road - noisy.
The electricity was off when we were there - very difficult, no warm water, no breakfast....

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Considering this is probably the most expensive 4 star hotel in the Nelspruit/White River area, we were expecting a lot more. On arrival we were ignored at reception, even though there were no other people checking in. Finally we were attended to by a scruffy staff member who did not offer any help with our luggage. The first room they offered us had dirty sheets and the bathroom had not been cleaned. When we settled into our second room, we found it comfortable and fairly clean. We were told there was a room service menu in the room, but there wasn't. When we asked to have a menu brought up, we waited close to one hour and had to ask three times before it arrived. The traffic noise at night was unbearable, even with the windows shut. It is such a shame that this almost brand new hotel seems like it is being run into the ground.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank estherMaputo
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed one night as my travel agent advised that the drive to the Kruger, Sabi Sands gate was about two hours from the airport and i would arrive too late, missing the safari drive and dinner. Given the one night cost at the lodge, The Casterbridge Hollow hotel was a nice way to relax after my flight and prepare for my Kruger experience the next day.

The staff was so friendly and welcoming upon check-in, they seem to get many groups and as i was traveling solo were intrigued by my travels and happy to chat and direct me to the ATM, etc. Each interaction they were so friendly, it definitely added to the experience. They provided the internet code for access (easy to access in room and common area) and showed me to my room. I was at first concerned that the busy road noise during the day would be a problem but it wasn't an issue at all at night and I slept very well. The rooms are bright with high ceilings and nicely decorated in a boutique way. My room faced the pool/garden area and was close to reception. My only issue was the shampoo/conditioner combo amenity - as i was traveling with only a duffel bag, I relied on the amenities and this combo is never a good one in my opinion.

As the hotel is part of the small shopping complex (at the end) you do have areas to wander - i visited the grocery store, ATM, handmade local artist shop for great unique gifts to bring back and a chocolate shop. The movie theatre was not open during my stay. They had a good mix of lifestyle shops to peruse.

The cafe is across from the hotel and dinner is served upstairs. The front desk let me know that the group was eating at a certain time so i dined earlier to avoid the group and any delays. I had a very good meal with wine and dessert and the prices are quite reasonable (especially for a hotel). The breakfast is served in the ground floor of the cafe in the morning and was included in my hotel rate. The service was attentive and the cafe decor quite pleasant as i was outside with the sunshine.

Fabulous place to stay in the Kruger area -

#1 of 10 in White River
aha Greenway Woods Resort
aha Greenway Woods Resort
#7 of 10 in White River

Been to Casterbridge Hollow? Share your experiences!