This was a short trip with friends to visit the Kruger area. The hotel has a nice location near the Nelspruit airport along with all the surrounding area attractions. It was particularly nice for a group of four ladies wanting a bit of shopping and good food.
We arrived at 1pm and were told that one of our rooms was ready and the other would be ready shortly. Since the hotel was practically empty, I was a bit surprised. We went to Magnolia, the restaurant associated with the hotel, to have lunch while we waited for the other room. Our waiter, Gift, was so personable and fun and the food was some of the best we've had in the area. Every meal we ate at Magnolia was fantastic and the chef is very well trained.
The size of the room was good and appeared clean, but we felt there were a few "misses" that could improve the hotel. There is no news channel available on DSTV and would have been appreciated. The beds were comfortable, however, the quilts on the beds definitely don't get laundered after each stay as both were dirty looking with a few stains. Since the hotel advertised Wifi internet available in the rooms, we bought vouchers for unlimited usage for our stay. Needless to say, after several different trips back and forth to the reception with no success, we gave up and just asked for a refund. They apologized and said they had been having problems and would let their IT department know.
There were two things which were totally unacceptable to us during our 3 night stay. The worst was having no hot water for showers after a long day in the Kruger park! We reported it, they called to say it was fixed but the hot water only lasted for less than 10 seconds! With so few people staying at the hotel I'm not sure why we didn't have hot water. The other problem came when we requested a sack breakfast since we were leaving for our tour at 5:30 am. Someone phoned at 10pm to say that the sack lunches were ready, but we had already turned in for the night over 30 minutes before and were awakened by the phone. That is not professional hotel standards for us and were quite irritated by the late call. We feel that a bit more training would benefit the staff to make the quests stay more pleasant.
Even with the few misses, a good time was had by all and the food at Magnolia made our stay worthwhile!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amongst the sweet Mango trees of the original Casterbridge Farm...Casterbridge Hollow Boutique Hotel, a mere 15 minute drive from the Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, is ideal for the business traveller and is a convenient base from which tourists can access Kruger National Park and the Panorama Route.Casterbridge Hollow, Mpumalanga’s first “green hotel”, is a concept that has evolved with great charm, using the simplest and most basic materials. Colours are reminiscent of romantic hillside villages in Provence and Tuscany. It’s contemporary style is enhanced by richly textured baskets, sleek furnishings and designer fabrics featuring proteas and ‘bokkies’ which give the hotel an original handprint and convey its South African roots. Accessories such as wire-work baskets, hand-crafted tiles and decorative light fittings were all made by local artisans. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Casterbridge Hollow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casterbridge Hollow Hotel White River
- Casterbridge Hollow White River, South Africa - Mpumalanga