“This is an experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skukuza
Lake Wales, Florida
“This is an experience”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Beautiful and charming entrance. Lovely personnel. Excellent food. Monkeys and birds everywhere. Book a photo safari. Well worth it. Dinners were great. Watch the monkeys, they are fast and furious in stealing food from your table. And, are they clever. They watch you for the least distraction and, Bamo!, they hit the table and grab your food. This did not bother us in the least. We made a game out of it. All we can say is WOW!! and put this place on your bucket list.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Buckeyesandi

A visit to the Kruger National Park is definitely something for the bucket list. Thank you for your raving review and recommendation of Protea Hotel Kruger Gate.

Knowing that the STAFF provided a welcoming environment during your stay, as well as delicious dinners is exactly what I like to hear.

The monkeys are certainly entertaining and I happy that their mischievous personalities provided you with some entertainment.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Protea Hotel Kruger Gate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 5 days it to be comfortable. The desk people were not as attentive as they could have been. The bar was empty and it was difficult to get a drink. The rooms were wonderful and comfortable. The food was OK at dinner. You could always find something good to eat., Breakfast was sonderdul and service was very efficient. It was very close to the park gate. The viewing area always had something to watch. After 8:00 at night the place was very quiet. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Kruger.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marilyn M
Dear Marilyn M

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

After completing our recent refurbishment of the hotel, it is amazing to know that your stay was comfortable and that your enjoyed the rooms.

I am sorry that the service from the desk and the bar area were below par. I can understand your frustration and assure you that I have addressed this with the relevant TEAM members. Offering the best GUEST service is of the utmost importance at Protea Hotels.

As most GUESTS go for long safaris and explore the bushveld, our breakfast TEAM make sure that the spread is tasty and wholesome. They will be thrilled when they see your comments.

After a long day, I can certainly recommend the viewing decks whilst sipping on a drink. One can relax whilst catching a glimpse of the animals walking by.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Next to Kruger gate. Beatiful hotel in the middle of wild country. People are very nice. Try to do a night park trip lot of lions and other animals difficult to see during the day. Awsome experience.Breadfast was ok.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear andres m

With a title like ‘Fantastic’, I find it very hard not to smile. Thank you for such a great review.

I am fortunate to work with such friendly, efficient and passionate STAFF. I will congratulate them once again on delivery the best GUEST service.

One of the beautiful things to experience when visitin the Kruger National Park is watching the animals in their natural environment. I hope you managed to see lots of them whilst on your safari.

Be sure to visit when you are next in the bushveld.

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Beautiful facility. Charming rooms with large floor to ceiling windows overlooking lots of green plants with monkeys and birds right out side your room. The buffets for dinner were great. Would recommend this facility highly.

Room Tip: All the rooms are well located.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CarolR7

It is always humbling to receive such wonderful feedback and to know that our GUESTS have enjoyed their stay with us.

A holiday in the bushveld is always special. Being surrounded by the wildlife and the flora does wonders for the stress levels. Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is designed to blend in with the natural surroundings and it seems as if you go the rest and relaxation you were looking for.

I will pass on your comments regarding the buffet dinners to the chef and TEAM. I am positive that this will inspire them to deliver the best food at all times.

Thank you for your recommendations and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Cape Town
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel which is situated within meters of Kruger Gate at Kruger National Park. I was quite impressed with the style of the hotel, the service was good and the food was fantastic.
I regularly go to Kruger and would stay there again in the future

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear WOWCapeTownTours

What positive feedback! Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

Being located within metres of the Paul Kruger is very convenient for GUESTS. Whether doing a self-drive or going on scheduled safaris, those extra few hours sleep make all the difference.

We have recently finished renovations and I am happy to hear that the new style of the public areas and rooms were to your liking.

The TEAM is committed to providing on the best, and this is evident in your experience of the service and delicious meals. I commend them all on their continuous efforts.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was the only place in SA where we encountered bad service. With only a couple of exceptions the staff were surly and inattentive. Waiting times for service at the evening meal were unacceptable. We had to wait for 30 minutes for drinks to arrive after ordering and when they arrived they were wrong. The staff did not seem to care at all to the point of near rudeness, so unlike the rest of the country!. Room was supposed to sleep 2 adults and 2 children. It barely did. The children were on an L-shaped sofa bed and had been provided with one duvet between them. We requested a second which came quickly but with the usual surly attitude. When we left there was an argument over whether the room had been paid for because they "did not recognise our travel agents name" (unlike everywhere else we stayed!) and they tried to get us to pay again and reclaim the money from our agents. I refused and was thankful I had not given them my card details on arrival. This may have been an admin error but felt like a scam. Good points - it is very beautiful and great location on edge of the national park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Simon B
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Simon B

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback will certainly assist us with our search for excellence.

We are very lucky to have Kruger National Park as our backyard. I am pleased that our location was of benefit to you during your stay.

I am extremely sorry that you had such a below par experience with us. Not only is this disappointing, but very concerning as we aim to offer the best GUEST service. It is unfortunate that this was not the case and I have addressed this with the TEAM already.

There is no excuse for the lack of the bedding in your room or the confusion around your prepayment. I can assure you that these are not the standards we are usually proud to offer and additional emphasis will be put into all areas to prevent this from reoccurring.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly. You can contact me via email at gm@phkrugergate.co.za.

I really hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the bushveld to show you true Protea hospitality.

Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Room was nice with a comfortable bed. It was the rest of the property that made the stay so good. The atmosphere after dark was very nice. This was my first time to Kruger Park and While I wanted to stay in the park, there were no rooms available. I was able to secure a room, site unseen and no ability to do any research. I was very pleased! The reception area, restaurant, etc are outdoors and with the grounds lighting after dark, the effect was great! The food was good with good service and a very nice all day tour of the park. I will return with my spouse!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Kim H

Thank you for your review and I am thrilled with your title.

Our location is in the heart of the bushveld together with the majestic surroundings means that GUESTS can have an amazing experience. Your enjoyment of our hotel rings true to what the entire TEAM aim to deliver for every GUEST.

I look forward to welcoming you back as well as your spouse on your next visit.

Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skukuza
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
#11 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#13 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate? Share your experiences!