Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
  • Restaurant
Skukuza Rest Camp(Kruger National Park)
  • Pool
Arathusa Safari Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Machai Lodge(Hazyview)
  • Pool
All reviewsviewing decksabie riverbreakfast and dinnerbuffet stylereception areagame drivesopen airsouth africadining areagame reservestir fryself cateringrooms are largewonderful hoteltour groupnight safariglass of wine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was the only place in SA where we encountered bad service. With only a couple of exceptions the staff were surly and inattentive. Waiting times for service at the evening meal were unacceptable. We had to wait for 30 minutes for drinks to arrive after ordering and when they arrived they were wrong. The staff did not seem to care at all to the point of near rudeness, so unlike the rest of the country!. Room was supposed to sleep 2 adults and 2 children. It barely did. The children were on an L-shaped sofa bed and had been provided with one duvet between them. We requested a second which came quickly but with the usual surly attitude. When we left there was an argument over whether the room had been paid for because they "did not recognise our travel agents name" (unlike everywhere else we stayed!) and they tried to get us to pay again and reclaim the money from our agents. I refused and was thankful I had not given them my card details on arrival. This may have been an admin error but felt like a scam. Good points - it is very beautiful and great location on edge of the national park.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon B
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Simon B

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback will certainly assist us with our search for excellence.

We are very lucky to have Kruger National Park as our backyard. I am pleased that our location was of benefit to you during your stay.

I am extremely sorry that you had such a below par experience with us. Not only is this disappointing, but very concerning as we aim to offer the best GUEST service. It is unfortunate that this was not the case and I have addressed this with the TEAM already.

There is no excuse for the lack of the bedding in your room or the confusion around your prepayment. I can assure you that these are not the standards we are usually proud to offer and additional emphasis will be put into all areas to prevent this from reoccurring.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly. You can contact me via email at gm@phkrugergate.co.za.

I really hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the bushveld to show you true Protea hospitality.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Room was nice with a comfortable bed. It was the rest of the property that made the stay so good. The atmosphere after dark was very nice. This was my first time to Kruger Park and While I wanted to stay in the park, there were no rooms available. I was able to secure a room, site unseen and no ability to do any research. I was very pleased! The reception area, restaurant, etc are outdoors and with the grounds lighting after dark, the effect was great! The food was good with good service and a very nice all day tour of the park. I will return with my spouse!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Kim H

Thank you for your review and I am thrilled with your title.

Our location is in the heart of the bushveld together with the majestic surroundings means that GUESTS can have an amazing experience. Your enjoyment of our hotel rings true to what the entire TEAM aim to deliver for every GUEST.

I look forward to welcoming you back as well as your spouse on your next visit.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

After an early morning flight into Jo'burg, and another 5, 6 hours drive to the Kruger area, I fall in love with this hotel the minute I stepped into the lobby.

The expansive open air lobby and reception area was nested in a canopy of trees, and its elegant African decor immediately engaged my mood for the busy experience.

What made this lodge really stand out was its large bush like grounds and common areas, and in particular, the tree house like viewing decks. The viewing decks were very inviting. I always wanted to sit there, and never wanted to leave. The deck is very big, with a main deck area, a bar, and several tree houses like huts, but always just a few guests out there, and made the experience very peaceful and relaxing.

The accommodation included breakfast and dinner. The buffet dinner was hosted in an open air restaurant with a huge bonfire in the middle. I don't usually like buffets, but I was very impressed with the meals. Lots of variety of different kinds of meats, side dishes, vegetables, and desserts etc. They served us delicious and high quality meals.

The breakfast buffet was excellent as well, which is pretty consistent with most of the breakfast meals we had in South Africa.

The room itself was nothing special and pretty standard with your average hotel room. Except we saw Zebras eating outside of our windows. We were comfortable in the room and slept well.

There is free wifi in the lobby area only. I used it in the evenings. The lobby was very comfortable, so it was fine plug my laptop in and use the internet to check emails etc there.

This hotel is very close to the Paul Kruger gate. You can see the gate just before turning into the hotel, and you can even walk to that gate.

We stayed here for 2 nights in order to explore the Panoramic Route, and being able to enter into the Kruger gate early the following day.

I would love to stay here longer, and highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyTraveler852

Dear HappyTraveler852

Your review is truly spectacular and we appreciate you posting such detailed feedback no TripAdvisor.

There is definitely something magical about the bush and a holiday here is always revitalizing. I am a big fan of the viewing decks myself and hearing of your enjoyment is pleasing.

The chef and TEAM are inspired to continuously deliver unique dishes on our buffets and they will be motivated by your positive comments.

Maybe next time you can stay a little longer.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The lodge has a great location, less than 5 minutes from the gate of Kruger, which is especially perfect for those early morning game drives. It was beautiful, open, lots of monkeys hanging around to entertain. The food was good with different buffets each night.

It is cool in July, and the main dining room is outdoors, although there was a firepit and heaters around.

They say they have a fitness room, but there is one treadmill, a bike that doesn't work and weight machine that is too stiff to use. Other than that, it was a great place to stay and I'd definitely recommend it.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krista F

Dear Krista F

What a wonderful review and I am thrilled that you had a great bushveld holiday.

Our location definitely helps with those early morning game drives as one can sneak in some extra sleep. On top of that, we are lucky to be surrounded by such beauty and that the animals come to visit us. The hotel and it’s design is meant to blend in with the area.

I am sorry for your disappointment regarding the fitness centre and I will be reevaluating that area as a result. Hopefully we wil have everything sorted out for your next visit.

Dining under the stars is amazing and although it can get a bit cold, we do our best to keep you warm with the fire pit and heaters.

I hope you had a safe trip home and will visit soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The protea Hotel Paul Kruger gate is the best located hotel outside of the park, it is literally not even two minutes from the Paul Kruger gate, in which you enter the Kruger national park through. The grounds of the Protea Hotel are absolutley stunning, with lovely spots to relax.
We did not stay in the hotel rooms, as we stayed at the timeshare section on the same property, but made use of all the hotel ammenities. It is a very nice experience to go to the Lapa Restuarant for dinner. It is lovel to be outside, and experience a 'bush' dinner. Even though the hotel is just outside of the park, you still have wildlife coming right up to the boundry fence, and a leopard who roams through the grounds of the hotel. This hotel is truely in a fantastic location and allows you to do the bush in style but still be in the bush.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SamTravel68
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear SamTravel68

What an amazing review and thank you for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

You are spot on when saying that Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is the best located hotel outside the park. The Paul Kruger Gate is within walking distance, which makes getting to and from the park very easy.

We did our best to ensure that the design of the hotel blends in with its surroundings. The high ceilings, wooden walkways and viewing decks all contribute to the stunning grounds you speak of. I am so happy that you enjoyed the Lapa Restaurant as dining under the stars with a variety of meals on offer is a unique experience.

Until your next trip to the bushveld we wish you safe travels.