This place was definitely an amazing and extremely memorable hotel--I knew it would be nice, but the photos didn't do it justice. It's basically set in the middle of the rural area that is Kruger Park (it's technically outside of the park). But there are animals from the park walking around--like monkeys and impala, not lions or anything.
Everything else is super high end and really nice, and dinner and breakfast are included (dinner is a massive buffet with safari-esque stuff like venison) so all things considered, it's pretty good value for the money.
The rooms were fine, just like a normal nice hotel. But it's definitely the rest of the hotel that's worth the experience.
Two pieces of advice:
- Make sure you figure out exactly where it is and how to get there beforehand. We winged it in a taxicab from Maputo, but it turned out to not be a good situation. It's pretty remote.
- Massages there are cheap, but not very good. My masseuse definitely hadn't gotten much training.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don't forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza