Our initial reaction to the hotel was not so good. After a nice 7 hour drive from Johannesburg, the only thing we wanted to do was sit down, chill, and freshen up for a short while before our afternoon safari. It's located about 2 minutes from the entrance to kruger, so super convenient.
They'd given us a room that had all the bedspreads overturned, hadn't been cleaned yet at 3PM and was absolutely filthy. The previous occupant had ordered in and had sloshed ketchup everywhere. Needless to say, we asked the front desk for a room change. The room we got was definitely a downgrade, - super dark and dingy, but clean. I would probably have no issues with this hotel had it not been for the initial filthy check-in, but first impressions are lasting.
You won't get internet in your room, you can only access it through the center lounge. Not a huge fan, and think they could update this...it certainly couldn't be that expensive to upgrade the wifi access to be available to each room rather than a communal area, and it would make your customers stay much nicer.
Bring your own toiletries. Theirs smell weird and aren't so good.
Breakfast has a decent spread, dinner is ok as well, they put on an interesting show each night. Service is excellent. Super accommodating and nice people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don't forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Travelocity, Marriott, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza